VA to pay large settlement to NPs and PAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
$160M VA settlement ordered for clinicians unpaid for updating EHRs
Hannah Mitchell - Friday, November 5th, 2021 Print | Email
The Department of Veterans Affairs has been ordered to pay $160 million to settle claims that 3,200 clinicians worked unpaid overtime to update EHRs, according to Oct. 29 court documents obtained by Becker's.

Five things to know:

The lawsuit, filed in December 2012, alleged that 3,207 nurse practitioners and physicians' assistants currently or formerly employed by the VA worked overtime to update patients' EHRs and respond to patient notifications in the VA's EHR and were not paid for their work.

According to the lawsuit, VA staffers misinterpreted the VA handbook and details about when employees should be paid for overtime. VA staffers said they thought employees had to work a certain number of hours each week to qualify for overtime. But the court found that employees are entitled to overtime whenever they work in excess of their eight-hour daily work schedule.

The court said it understood why the VA handbook was misinterpreted because the language is confusing, but agreed that employees were entitled to receive overtime for their work performed.

"[O]vertime hours are those hours of work performed in excess of the basic work requirement for a scheduled period of service day (but must be in excess of eight consecutive hours) or for a week (but must be in excess of 40 hours), or in excess of 80 hours in the pay period," the VA's handbook states.

The settlement will provide each class member about $50,000.

Members don't see this ad.

$160M VA settlement ordered for clinicians unpaid for updating EHRs
Hannah Mitchell - Friday, November 5th, 2021 Print | Email
The Department of Veterans Affairs has been ordered to pay $160 million to settle claims that 3,200 clinicians worked unpaid overtime to update EHRs, according to Oct. 29 court documents obtained by Becker's.

Five things to know:

The lawsuit, filed in December 2012, alleged that 3,207 nurse practitioners and physicians' assistants currently or formerly employed by the VA worked overtime to update patients' EHRs and respond to patient notifications in the VA's EHR and were not paid for their work.

According to the lawsuit, VA staffers misinterpreted the VA handbook and details about when employees should be paid for overtime. VA staffers said they thought employees had to work a certain number of hours each week to qualify for overtime. But the court found that employees are entitled to overtime whenever they work in excess of their eight-hour daily work schedule.

The court said it understood why the VA handbook was misinterpreted because the language is confusing, but agreed that employees were entitled to receive overtime for their work performed.

"[O]vertime hours are those hours of work performed in excess of the basic work requirement for a scheduled period of service day (but must be in excess of eight consecutive hours) or for a week (but must be in excess of 40 hours), or in excess of 80 hours in the pay period," the VA's handbook states.

The settlement will provide each class member about $50,000.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA wow maybe I need to speak to an attorney because I've worked so many hours unpaid then over the years. I figured this was part of being salary and a provider.

I remember I used to work Saturdays and they filed that lawsuit for the premium pay when you worked a Saturday shift, but took leave on those days. I think over like 5 years I got a whopping $120 for all those times after they did the settlement.

Yeah. I mean, no other salaried job would expect you to work outside the 9-5 shift. Right? Right?

Reactions: 1 users