VA training program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suspect that even if they close the training program, things would be setup such that current trainees should still obtain all standard training (e.g., didactics), potentially with minor modifications, depending on the nature of what's happening. Especially at VA, it'd be highly unlikely that they'd just close the program outright while current trainees are still there. Although a hiatus on taking new trainees also doesn't definitively mean they're closing the program. That's one very real possibility, but not the only explanation.

When/if they do close, they'll probably have someone designated to be the point of contact for future training-related matters, such as verifying training completion. Still, I'd plan to get your supervisor(s) and/or TD to fill out any necessary paperwork as close to the end of training as possible. I'd also then scan and backup that paperwork and your completion certificate and save a few copies (e.g., with yourself, possibly in cloud storage, and possibly in a credential banking service), just in case.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if it's a staffing issue. VAs nationwide are having recruitment problems.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if it's a staffing issue. VAs nationwide are having recruitment problems.

Now that I've been out for a few years, I don't have the same perspective outside our local VA where I still have colleagues and friends. Is this true even at the main hospital campuses? We used to get a couple dozen applications anytime we had a job opening.

Now that I've been out for a few years, I don't have the same perspective outside our local VA where I still have colleagues and friends. Is this true even at the main hospital campuses? We used to get a couple dozen applications anytime we had a job opening.

There has been a lot of trouble recruiting in person positions, such as training director. Virtual positions are still in demand. We had an opening for TD with exactly 1 application. In addition, the move to more virtual positions has reduced available supervisors.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
There has been a lot of trouble recruiting in person positions, such as training director. Virtual positions are still in demand. We had an opening for TD with exactly 1 application. In addition, move to more virtual positions has reduced available supervisors.

Interesting, people used to like the TD positions. The neuro ones were commonly filled in house.

OP, sorry to hear this. Since training is funded via different mechanisms, hopefully things can still run mostly smoothly until you finish out. And if this decision is coming from higher up admin in response to things like staffing issues, the core training faculty hopefully remain committed and engaged and will have the time/support to finish their training commitments.

Speaking to broader staffing, hiring, and retention issues, I think Sanman is spot-on about how virtual jobs have changed things significantly in VA and outside of VA.

And some VAs have also gotten significantly worse to work at recently due to increased patient care AND admin demands without changes in pay and likely continued decrease in autonomy/flexibility (e.g., if you’re always booked out 2+ months, taking leave becomes a huge hassle with the 45 day clinic cancellation policy that seems very much under scrutiny now) so people are getting fed up and moving on as their options have almost certainly expanded since they were last on the job market.

I’m sure there are regions where in-person/hybrid jobs are still very much in demand but broadly speaking, it’s probably not too long before we see EDRP, a signing bonus and the option to be virtual being commonly offered together, which would have sounded crazy pre-pandemic.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry to hear your program is not recruiting next year (did the word "closing" come up in official communications? Just curious.)

Here are the potential concerns I could imagine having since I didn't hear any specific ones. Let us know if there's something in particular you're worried about besides 2 year programs.

1. Two year postdocs continuing. It sounds like your program has something in mind for helping these people finish. Running a training program is TAXING. Maintaining supervision and didactics for a couple of postdocs shouldn't be a big deal. If there is another VA nearby, maybe consider looking into transfer. Maybe current VA will lean on remote didactics if local situation is actually totally bad.

2. Reputation. If your program has a good reputation now, I wouldn't worry.

3. Ability to get letters/credentials. As others said, get what you need this year and bank. You should do that even if the program wasn't stopping recruitment.

4. Quality of this year's training. Might be even better since efforts won't be spent on recruitment activities, onboarding new class, etc.

5. Worries about staying on as staff there. Well, yes, if training is important to you. Would find out if this is intended to be permanent or is since kind of "reset". We've paused certain opportunities when there were staffing difficulties. Staffing difficulties doesn't even always mean just "not enough staff." It could be staff with other responsibilities or going on details.

Yup, this has been confirmed by our VISN leadership. I know of at least a few positions at our main hospital that remain unfilled.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
We in a Fall of Rome type situation here?

Depends on if/how the laws will change following the public health emergency phase out and salary/bonus structures. Getting someone into an office is going to cost money.

For the OP, I definitely would want to get as much as I can in writing, though I wouldn't be super concerned because the VA is one of the few places where they usually care about trainees and won't just drop you. Keep talking with your TD and definitely consider talking with them about any relationships they have with other training programs in the area.

In regard to staffing issues...I know on a number of APA list servs there have been posts about trouble filling positions, which is mirrored in some state list servs. While staffing issues can have a negative impact on some things like training (as exhibited here), they can be beneficial long-term because recruiting packages will need to improve, and in some instances....improve significantly. I know I've been approached with much better starting offers in the past 12 months than I was getting pre-pandemic. In times of uncertainty are often the best times to consider changes.

Reactions: 6 users

Yes. VAs are hurting. I pretty much can dictate my terms (within reasonable parameters) since my SDTP basically disbanded a couple of years ago, so our new director has been spending time building it back up. The struggle is real - there is a lot of demand and I am voluntold to do stuff, so I take advantage of the situation also demand stuff from them :)

Reactions: 1 users