Position Available Vacant Residency/Fellowship Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperclip67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
These are actually pretty good. I’ve been searching for a while now and have joined many different websites in search of vacant positions. I joined these around a month ago (thinking of changing residency’s or starting a fellowship) and have found that they have the most listings of all the other websites (also cheapest to join). They don’t have any swap positions, only vacant positions. There is an example of listings at the bottom of their website of what you will see after becoming a member. Their listings are organized in table format, easy to read with all the information you need to apply for the program. Hopes this helps.

Thanks for the post. I signed up for the resident website this past week. It has several unfilled residency spots throughout the year, looks great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also see you mentioned something about "swap" positions. I don't know about you but I've never heard of anyone doing this. I asked some people that I went to med school with and other people at other programs and nobody anywhere has known somebody to do this. Just because you have a spot at one program doesn't mean you can just "swap" with anybody at another program. This doesn't even make sense. It's like just because you have a job as a secretary somewhere doesn't mean you can just find another secretary at another company and both of you switch positions. I'm pretty sure if you say you're leaving a residency program, then the program director will open the position to all applicants and not just the one applicant that you're recommending, especially since you're leaving/quitting the program. I don't see any resident having any say on who the program director will hire after they quit the program. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this concept makes absolutely no sense.

I also see you mentioned something about "swap" positions. I don't know about you but I've never heard of anyone doing this. I asked some people that I went to med school with and other people at other programs and nobody anywhere has known somebody to do this. Just because you have a spot at one program doesn't mean you can just "swap" with anybody at another program. This doesn't even make sense. It's like just because you have a job as a secretary somewhere doesn't mean you can just find another secretary at another company and both of you switch positions. I'm pretty sure if you say you're leaving a residency program, then the program director will open the position to all applicants and not just the one applicant that you're recommending, especially since you're leaving/quitting the program. I don't see any resident having any say on who the program director will hire after they quit the program. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this concept makes absolutely no sense.

I know, I've never heard of anyone "swapping" positions either. Although I do see it mentioned in several different post, I agree, it doesn't make much sense. I wish we could disregard the entire match process, ERAS, interviews, ROL and the dreaded match day. It would be nice if we could just "qualify" for a resident position and work it out amongst ourselves what program we would like to do our residency in. Instead of match day it could be called "swap day". Anyway, back to reality, good luck on your search.

I know, I've never heard of anyone "swapping" positions either. Although I do see it mentioned in several different post, I agree, it doesn't make much sense. I wish we could disregard the entire match process, ERAS, interviews, ROL and the dreaded match day. It would be nice if we could just "qualify" for a resident position and work it out amongst ourselves what program we would like to do our residency in. Instead of match day it could be called "swap day". Anyway, back to reality, good luck on your search.

No...you really don't want it to be that way. That's the way it used to be before match. I don't feel like getting into it, but I've heard stories of how nightmarish it was.

Still haven't heard of anyone swapping positions but I have found another position outside the match, so at the very least I know that this is possible. Thanks for the reply and all the help.