Vacation in January, risky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlight15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a gap year and have been fortunate enough to have 2 acceptances already and am very grateful. I also haven't received any interview invites in 2 months so at least for now, it seems that I may be "done" with the interview season (though of course still hoping for more)! I decided to take the opportunity to go to Europe with my family in January. It's the only time that works because I have a sibling in college. I'll be gone for about 3 weeks and I'm wondering if this is risky in the chance that I may get an II in December with dates in January.

I can definitely interview after but it's already late in the season. Just wondering what you guys would do! I'm pretty set on the vacation since I don't see any other time I can go before med school :) and of course, if I don't receive any more IIs, this is a moot discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah its definitely risky. Many schools have their last interview dates in Jan/Feb so it would be really hard to reschedule for a later date.

Are you happy with the schools you got into already? Are there any schools you really like where you are still might get an interview?

Ultimately its more of a personal decision based on the above 2 questions.

If the answer to #2 is yes, you can contact the schools and explain you'll be out of the country in Jan. They might be willing to share your application status and whether you are under consideration for Jan interviews.

Would you suggest writing an email to the schools then? How would I ask about my status and also say I'm going out of the country? I am definitely happy with the schools I'm accepted to but there are a few I would definitely want a chance to interview at. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
GO TO EUROPE, OBVIOUSLY! If an II rolls around, you'll probably be able to snag a date in February. And if you were seriously in a pinch, you could end your vacation early and make your way back to the states.

Reactions: 1 user
GO TO EUROPE, OBVIOUSLY! If an II rolls around, you'll probably be able to snag a date in February. And if you were seriously in a pinch, you could end your vacation early and make your way back to the states.

This. Take a euro trip, you're going to be a doctor already haha. If you get an II just try to schedule it for when you're back. If there is some school you are super anxious about, send them an email asking about your status first. Don't put off a trip for the chance of maybe an II haha.

Thanks guys! I was 90% sure about Europe and I just felt guilty and worried. Hopefully if I do get an II it's soon and in December!

It depends... How many schools are you still waiting to hear back from pre-interview?

I've traveled around the world many times, it is MY PASSION. Going on January 6 to Feb 9 to backpack in Argentina, Peru and CHile. This medschool admission process has been so stressful, and planning for this trip is what is helping me keep it all in perspective. If I get my number 1 choice at my alma mater (looking at you U of M), but I'm out of the country, there is always residency.

College flew by, med school will fly by. Take what life has to offer, as I won't get the chance to spend 5 weeks once med school/residency starts. The rest of my 20s are gone. My Dad is a MD/PhD, and he says go for it, he regrets not doing more in his 20s but study. He is now a disgruntled academic, as grant funding has virtually dried up. He doesn't recommend PhD to anyone anymore (even though he went to school for 7 years tuition free). He's happiest taking care of patients, making a difference, and not just publishing crap and spouting platitudes at conferences, trying to make a name for himself. Watching the past 15 years of his career was the ultimate shadowing experience. Academic research/medicine, no thank you. Can't be good at both. Academic clinical medicine - yeah, but you are then a second class citizen in the academic hierarchy. Second class professor giving out first class care, YEAH!

Reactions: 1 user