vacation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayce79

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I signed up for HPSP, I remember the recruiter telling me how everyone gets 30 days of paid vacation every year when on active duty. Then I learned during my ADTs from other residents that during residency, you are only allowed to take 2 weeks/year. So my question is: What happens to that other 2 weeks? Does it accumulate until you get out of residency or do you just get the two weeks paid out to you at the end of every year? Also, do you still get BAH/BAS when you are on vacation?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I can only speak from secondhand knowledge here about what the surgery residents in the program I'm going to have...

They can take 2 weeks during their intern year, and the full 30 days for every year past that (subject to certian restrictions - not all at one time, not during certian rotations, etc).

In the military, if you do not use your 30 days in a year, you carry it over into the next year. However, you cannot have up more than 90 (60?) days at the start of a new fiscal year (1 October), if you do have more than that number, you LOSE it forever...

Selling back leave is something I've never heard officers do, enlisted personnel used to be able to do it only when they re-enlisted. Whatever the new changes are, it's not an easy or common thing to do.

And yes, your BAH and all pay & allowances continue during leave periods.

RichL025 said:
Well, I can only speak from secondhand knowledge here about what the surgery residents in the program I'm going to have...

They can take 2 weeks during their intern year, and the full 30 days for every year past that (subject to certian restrictions - not all at one time, not during certian rotations, etc).

In the military, if you do not use your 30 days in a year, you carry it over into the next year. However, you cannot have up more than 90 (60?) days at the start of a new fiscal year (1 October), if you do have more than that number, you LOSE it forever...

Selling back leave is something I've never heard officers do, enlisted personnel used to be able to do it only when they re-enlisted. Whatever the new changes are, it's not an easy or common thing to do.

And yes, your BAH and all pay & allowances continue during leave periods.

All true except that you can only carry over 60 days without a combat leave extension. And even with that you only go up to a certain level.

Officers may sell back leave once in a career at time of EAS. I have over a hundred days built up due to not being able to take them b/c of deployment/command issues. Im taking 60 days as terminal leave and a few weeks here and there then selling back the rest at my eas.

Members don't see this ad :)
usnavdoc said:
All true except that you can only carry over 60 days without a combat leave extension. And even with that you only go up to a certain level.

Officers may sell back leave once in a career at time of EAS. I have over a hundred days built up due to not being able to take them b/c of deployment/command issues. Im taking 60 days as terminal leave and a few weeks here and there then selling back the rest at my eas.

this last entry speaks to the promise of 30 days paid leave, or rather the broken promise of that. Not only is it common to have leave denied and not EVER able to be taken, but at my command, they also denied terminal leave to ALL.

USAFdoc said:
this last entry speaks to the promise of 30 days paid leave, or rather the broken promise of that. Not only is it common to have leave denied and not EVER able to be taken, but at my command, they also denied terminal leave to ALL.

All too True. And I must add that my terminal leave chit has not been appproved as of yet. I just have to wait and see how this develops. I may be selling back mopre than i had planned.

And a side note on leave you sell back. You only recieve base pay minus taxes. you do not recieve additional pays or allowances for that leave time frame.

USAFdoc said:

All too True. And I must add that my terminal leave chit has not been appproved as of yet. I just have to wait and see how this develops. I may be selling back mopre than i had planned.

And a side note on leave you sell back. You only recieve base pay minus taxes. you do not recieve additional pays or allowances for that leave time frame.