vacation/slack time for MS0's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medigirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you starting your first year in the Fall, what are you doing this summer? Who on SDN can win the title of "biggest summer slacker"?

I have exactly 7 days of work (medical research) left. Cannot wait until next friday! Then, I am off on a road trip/relocation trip to Texas. Upon arrival, I plan to be a total vegetable until school starts. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely nominate myself for biggest summer slacker. ;) I quit my job on May 4th. Now I am in SoCal -- reading, watching TV, spending waaaaay too much time on the internet. I am contemplating getting a part-time job, taking a Spanish class, or trying to get some phlebotomy training. I would love to travel, but I don't think I can really afford it. However, I may end up doing a prematriculation program that starts end of June, in which case I will definitely be out of contention for the slacker title.

I wish I could slack but I can't. I signed up for the pre-martriculation program to get a head start and refresh myself for the academic rigors to come. SOOOoooo I will be wrestling with a cadaver for the summer. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Col--you are definitely not in contention for biggest summer slacker...
I, on the other hand, am going on my first real vacation in 4 years...MAUI!!!! It's only by luck though...my boyfriend and I won tickets...can you believe it?
And lilycat, seriously don't get a job...that's crazy...your job is to moderate the lounge isn't it? ;) ! Just relax, get some sun, read a few NON-Medicine related books.
Is there a good summer reads posting in the lounge yet?

Well lets see, in another week I finish my crappy job at the NIH. In June I'm going to Germany for a few days cause my dad has a medical conference there so I'm just tagging along. Then I'm going to visit a friend who is a Phd. student at Brown so I'll be in Providence, RI for a few days and probably head down to Newport. Then in July I'm going to visit my mates in England for 10 days.
In mid August I'll be heading to the SUNY Downstate school of Medicine (unless NYU takes me off the wait list).

I will not be slacking, and that's okay with me... Like Paddington, I will be finishing up at the NIH soon, and then heading back to do some research in Illinois. I'm looking forward to it, it's a great bunch of people. I will also be spending my time doing some housing/apartment searches, and I am a bit worried about that. :(

Originally posted by PaddingtonBear:
•Well lets see, in another week I finish my crappy job at the NIH.•

You dont like the NIH? I was there for 2 summers working on research at the NINDS and loved it there. What institute do you work at?

With only two finals to go...I'm really looking forward to the summer!
I'm going to relaaax and chill at home for two months, travel around the area to visit relatives I haven't seen in ages, watch TONS of tv and rent TONS of movies, and finish up some loose ends at the lab I'm at.
So yes, after tomorrow I am THE bum!
:)

I'm going to overload on yoga and possibly pick up my camera again (but I don't think I want to waste away the sunny days in the darkroom). I am going to Peru and Costa Rica for whatever adventures may come.

I work for NIAAA and I hate the repetitive mechanical lab work that I have been doing for 11 months. If I see another pipet I am going to go crazy!! I realize that I just want to be a clinician. Also my lab is in rockville not on the main campus so its kinda isolated.

In July I will be driving out to Michigan for 1 week, flying out to SF and Carmel to visit some friends and family for 1 week, followed by a 2 week trip to Denmark and Norway! Yippee! Although, based on the fact that some of you are going to be studying hard all summer, should I bring an anatomy text with me? Nah!
Unfortunately, I have to complete 3 papers for publication within this next month before I can begin to think about all that fun... :(

I can't believe those of you that are doing the pre-matriculation programs - where you in school this year? I am definitely going to be a huge SLACKER this summer. TV, Travel (Nevada, Washington State, Oregon, Montana, New Mexico), movies, chillin' with friends, etc. I plan on getting mentally refreshed for the rigors of next year. I hope you all enjoy your summer - we deserve a break :D

I think I may be in contention for biggest slacker... I started on October 15th and have been going strong ever since... I never go to class, because all I need to do is pass these general ed requirements. I go out constantly (finally experiencing Chicago night life). I'm having a huge ass graduation party at my crib tomorrow night, with multiple kegs and 100s of jello shots.

This summer, I'm am going home to chill with my parents and lay on the beach and read...

Windex, Denmark is awesome! I spent 9 months there last year and I think that you will find that country to have some of the nicest (and most beautiful!) people. If you are in Copenhagen, check out the club called 'IN' (20 bucks for cover and all you can drink!) and eat at the fast-food Thai restaurant by Norreport station. Toss a few Carlsbergs back for me...

Simul

Originally posted by star23:
•I can't believe those of you that are doing the pre-matriculation programs - where you in school this year? I am definitely going to be a huge SLACKER this summer. TV, Travel (Nevada, Washington State, Oregon, Montana, New Mexico), movies, chillin' with friends, etc. I plan on getting mentally refreshed for the rigors of next year. I hope you all enjoy your summer - we deserve a break :D

I don't know about some of the others out there, but I'm considering a prematriculation program since I've been out of school for 2 years, wasn't a science major, and I'm going to a school with a huge reputation for a killer first year. If it takes some of the stress off in the fall and winter, I'm all for it. I have until June 1 to decide though, and one of my waitlists is supposed to give me some concrete info. on May 28 or 29. :eek:

i envy all of you that have the time and financial means to vacation this summer. i will be working an an engineering tech until its time to go to school. actually, i do have 2 vacations planned, to chicago in early july to spend time drinking with college friends, and to canada in late july for a week of camping/fishing. but the month of june looms ahead...i guess it's only one month though.

bud

SimulD - thanks for the Denmark tips! I will look out for those hot spots you mentioned. I wish that I could have 9 months there as well, however, my med school might take notice...