Vacation weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeMerk-MtS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average number of vacation weeks in pain medicine (for both academics and private)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As many as you want. Dont work, dont get paid. If you have a boss, she can hire a replacement who is willing to work harder.

I honestly will never understand why people decide to troll instead of just answering the question like an adult.

Can someone who is an adult answer this question to the best of his/her knowledge?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the average number of vacation weeks in pain medicine (for both academics and private)? Thanks!
Hospital based, 5 weeks. Which includes holidays. However, 5 weeks is 5 40 hour weeks, and I work 10hr days, so technically going by hours is more appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
For salaried employees, 3-4 weeks is pretty normal.

For production based positions (such as mine and the post above as well), yeah it’s basically eat what you kill so..

I honestly will never understand why people decide to troll instead of just answering the question like an adult.
Can someone who is an adult answer this question to the best of his/her knowledge?

I really don’t think he was trolling...
my job is like Steve describes.
I haven’t taken vacation in 6 years, but I take _a lot_ of 3-4 day weekends with no pay.
One of my associates takes a lot of unpaid weeks off, and I always hear the partners threatening to replace him (but they never will). A NP here takes tons of unscheduled days off with no pay. They hired a PA to “replace her”, but he ended up calling out so many Mondays & Fridays that they kept the NP & changed schedules to accomadate.
I’m convinced that if someone demands pay for the time off then it’ll escalate to a true firing... it’s just the way my place is.
True symbiosis all around.

I’m private practice in a partnership track so right now I’m salaried with a priduction bonus. I get 4 weeks of vacation and 1 week of CME. Once partner, you can take as many as you like but you’re not getting paid for that time so most guys still end of taking around 4 weeks. All the docs have every other Friday off so a lot of people do what kamilo does and just take extended weekends.

Own your own practice take as much as you want , when you want.......obviously don't make money but my sanity is more important

Steve is right, and I am in that situation. I can take vacation whenever I want, but if I don't work, I don't get paid.

When I first started I was on salary and I was getting 4 weeks of vacation and 1 week of CME. This is a private practice job. I hear academic vacation schedules are about the same.

Yup..if you wind up going private, and as you advance in your career, you will wind up in either a partnership scenario which is eat what you kill or an employment scenario which will eventually also be eat what you kill because the partners won’t want to subsidize a salary for you without you producing. I took 4 days off in 6 months this year and it was only to attend CME.

hospital employed, 6 weeks vacation per year

I'm hospital employed and get 6 weeks per year. When I worked at the university I think they gave me around that. I was in a partnership track private practice gig before that. While I was an employee they gave me 4 weeks, and the partners ended up taking around that amount themselves. Those are I think pretty standard numbers. Generally, if amount of vacation is important to you, you should look at running your own shop and being willing to take the productivity sacrifice on yourself, or be employed by a larger institution. Any high productivity employed or partnership track type position will probably want to discourage taking too many weeks.

VA hospital: 26 paid vacation days, 10 paid federal holiday, 13 paid sick days / year