Vaguely vet-related research or vet experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHlivia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in the spirit of procrastinating from summer school, I'm going to start planning out next summer!

I'm a psych major, and I would love to go for a grant to do research at my school next summer on the the social psychology/public perception/whatever of zoonotic diseases. Pretty much, how the general public sees it, and how they would react in a serious outbreak situation. I love this topic, and a discussion about this in one of my psych classes is what got me interested in public health. However, this would be psychology research, and it would be a stretch to call it veterinary related. This summer was my first summer of getting real vet experience, and I'll probably only be at about 150 hours of SA experience by the end of the summer. If I spend next summer doing research, those 150 hours will be ALL of my vet experience hours on my app when I apply, which is less than flattering.

Kudos if you made it all the way through that--I'm a bit long-winded. Pretty much: would it benefit me more to get some non-vet-related research experience (I don't know how adcoms would view the topic), or to try to pick up some more vet experience hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning to go into public health?

Most likely. I can't say I'm 100% sure since I may always end up changing my mind, but at this point, that's the plan.