Valuble Medical Experiences (BayArea)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nihitmehta

Osteopathic Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an year or so to spend and I wish to spend it trying to gain some valuable medical experience. I have shadowed Physicians and Volunteered at a Hospital, yet I need some experiences where I can get a one to one interaction with a patient (i.e. EKG Technician, or EMT). What are some things that you could recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

EMT is good; try also volunteering in a hospice, or working at a camp for sick/disable kids. Getting involved in clinical research will lead you to develop patient interaction skills, like interviewing and charting.

I have an year or so to spend and I wish to spend it trying to gain some valuable medical experience. I have shadowed Physicians and Volunteered at a Hospital, yet I need some experiences where I can get a one to one interaction with a patient (i.e. EKG Technician, or EMT). What are some things that you could recommend?

Also in the bay here. I would shoot for volunteering. EKG techs and EMT require additional training/certification, I don't know if it would be a good use of your time to pursue this unless you plan on taking more time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of homeless outreach in the bay area, I'm sure there are some good opportunities for volunteering in medical clinics for the homeless. I have a friend who worked in a homeless shelter working with battered women as well. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a salient issue in SF and adcoms would view it favorably. Especially UCSF.

I know you say you've had some volunteer experiences, but they are not all equal. There are definitely some sweet gigs you can land with a TON of 1-on-1 experience if you're willing to jump through all the right hoops. If I were you, I'd throw my name on the Packard waiting list...they have some really good opportunities, but it can take a while to get all of the logistics sorted. PM me if you want some more information on how to go about it and what sort of positions they have available! :thumbup::thumbup: