May 9, 2012
Status
I'm a medical student and last year I did a research project as part of my school's curriculum. My classmates who worked on the project with me wanted to submit it to a national research conference. I helped them prepare the project for submission. The project was accepted. Now I'm debating whether or not I should go to the conference, which is a plane ride away (although my school should cover expenses). The conference is a pretty big name. The research is pretty underwhelming from my point of view. It does not relate to a field I would like to specialize in. I'm skeptical anyone is interested in it, but maybe that's me being modest. I'd lose a weekend of my time, but it's not like I have anything else planned.

Fundamentally, I'm asking if poster presentations add anything meaningful to residency applications.

Jul 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
Look at Charting Outcomes, dude. The average matched applicant has at least 2-3 abstracts/posters/pubs, even for the non-research heavy specialties like OB/Gyn. If you are interested in a specialty that traditionally requires more research, you're looking at >7 pubs on average. A poster presentation counts for something! And I'm sure there is some way you can think of that it relates to your future specialty. What the hell else are you going to do that weekend?

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a medical student and last year I did a research project as part of my school's curriculum. My classmates who worked on the project with me wanted to submit it to a national research conference. I helped them prepare the project for submission. The project was accepted. Now I'm debating whether or not I should go to the conference, which is a plane ride away (although my school should cover expenses). The conference is a pretty big name. The research is pretty underwhelming from my point of view. It does not relate to a field I would like to specialize in. I'm skeptical anyone is interested in it, but maybe that's me being modest. I'd lose a weekend of my time, but it's not like I have anything else planned.

Fundamentally, I'm asking if poster presentations add anything meaningful to residency applications.
It's definitely something. You're going to add this research experience onto your application and it would be nice to have some sort of "pub" to go along with it. These things add up, and this is why applicants end up with 10-15 pubs/abstracts on their applications--because they don't waste opportunities like this.

Plus, your school is paying for it? I'd go just for fun. Most conferences I've been to end up being a blast.