Value of Gold Standard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duffy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm studying from the Gold Standard (just the book, not the DVD things or anything) and I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it with success on the MCAT... so far the book seems o.k. but I think it's lacking in some areas and doesn't go into sufficient detail when explaining some topics (some of the stuff in it, if I didn't have my albeit limited background in anatomy/physiology I don't think I would grasp it as well).

...It seems ok for reviewing the material if you already know it...

Anyways, I'm new and was just wondering if anyone had any opinions. I took a look around and the only stuff I could really find pertained to the DVDs - what I really want to know is what you guys all thought of the book

-Duffy

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say about the book, specifically, because I didn't use it. But after some looking at some of the GS tests I'd have some reservations about using a GS book. I'm not too confident in Dr. Ferdinand's ability to effectively convey a message in writing.

Don't use GS only. I got their book, went through it (its pretty much same as Kaplan,EK). Their tests are helpful to expose you to lots of different questions, I went through all 10 of them b/c I started early enough and had the time. If you a pressed for time use the AAMC's rather than GS tests, I'd complement the GS book with EK/Kaplan/Etc.

Good Luck!