Value of MD/PhD in Academic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxprime

Higgs chaser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I enjoy doing research and would enjoy doing an MD/PhD. I am highly confident that I want to stay in academic medicine. However, I am most interested in surgical fields where I would rather be a great surgeon than a good surgeon with some research on the side.

Basically - if you're not going to end up doing basic science research, is the value of the MD/PhD still high in academic medicine? I would obviously still be interested in clinical research, however I doubt I would have the time to run a lab (I would prioritize clinic time).

I know it's been covered both here and on uncleharvey, but if you really want a top NSG residency - is it worth it to do the PhD? People always say "don't do it just for a better residency" but if you're not at a top-tier med school, wouldn't it be worth it? (obviously combined with other factors to make a strong application)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I enjoy doing research and would enjoy doing an MD/PhD. I am highly confident that I want to stay in academic medicine. However, I am most interested in surgical fields where I would rather be a great surgeon than a good surgeon with some research on the side.

Basically - if you're not going to end up doing basic science research, is the value of the MD/PhD still high in academic medicine? I would obviously still be interested in clinical research, however I doubt I would have the time to run a lab (I would prioritize clinic time).

I know it's been covered both here and on uncleharvey, but if you really want a top NSG residency - is it worth it to do the PhD? People always say "don't do it just for a better residency" but if you're not at a top-tier med school, wouldn't it be worth it? (obviously combined with other factors to make a strong application)

Thanks.
I think you'd be better off getting an MS in clinical research instead of a PhD if you feel that you must have a grad degree. Getting a PhD is a lot of (probably) wasted time and effort for someone like you who doesn't want to have a basic lab. I have only met one MD/PhD surgeon at my school, and this person does do basic science research. Most of the other surgeons I know who do research are doing clinical things like outcomes research, database mining, etc. You definitely don't need a PhD for that.

I think you'd be better off getting an MS in clinical research instead of a PhD if you feel that you must have a grad degree. Getting a PhD is a lot of (probably) wasted time and effort for someone like you who doesn't want to have a basic lab. I have only met one MD/PhD surgeon at my school, and this person does do basic science research. Most of the other surgeons I know who do research are doing clinical things like outcomes research, database mining, etc. You definitely don't need a PhD for that.

Thanks for the response.

Any insight into the value of MD/PhD in the match? I know it's not a good reason by itself for doing the degree, however if you want a top academic residency would it be worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response.

Any insight into the value of MD/PhD in the match? I know it's not a good reason by itself for doing the degree, however if you want a top academic residency would it be worth it?
I'm just finishing my second year of med school, so I have yet to go through the match. What I can tell you is that not very many MD/PhDs go into surgery; I can't think of a single MD/PhD surgery resident on SDN off hand. (Maybe this thread will bring them out.) You'd probably get a better answer to this question if you asked in the surgery forum. Going just on common sense, I'd guess that no, it would not be worth it for you to get the PhD just to try to match into an academic surgery residency. But I still think you should ask the surgery residents and attendings.

I'm just finishing my second year of med school, so I have yet to go through the match. What I can tell you is that not very many MD/PhDs go into surgery; I can't think of a single MD/PhD surgery resident on SDN off hand. (Maybe this thread will bring them out.) You'd probably get a better answer to this question if you asked in the surgery forum. Going just on common sense, I'd guess that no, it would not be worth it for you to get the PhD just to try to match into an academic surgery residency. But I still think you should ask the surgery residents and attendings.

Leforte is a PGY4 in ENT, and a mudphud.

Getting a PhD for any secondary reason is insane, IMO.