Value of Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slothster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My general impression of medical school is that the educational value largely comes down to the third year: the rotations. It seems that the breadth of experiences you have and the opportunities to see and do varied things during that third year is what really prepares you for your future in medicine.

During the first two years, most students claim to be self-reliant when it comes to learning the material. If that's really the case, at least for those first two years, it seems as if it doesn't matter where you go to school. Obviously, aspects of yrs 1 & 2 vary from one school to another, but at the end of the day you're learning the same stuff and taking the same boards regardless of where you go to school.

Beyond location and cost, should selecting a medical school, then, ultimately come down to where you think you'll have the best opportunities and broadest experiences during year 3?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Clinical rotations take place during years 3 and 4.

I mostly agree with you. The curriculum for the first two years is standardized and largely meant to prepare you for the Step 1, which everyone has to take. There are various delivery methods (lecture, systems based, etc) but it's all the same material that you are responsible for learning on your own.

But the last two years are also fairly standard. You'll read the same review books and take the same shelf exams. Going to a school with an amazing surgery department does not mean you'll come out with superior knowledge or skills than students who learned in a "lesser" department. The quality of the residency program matters more in the long run.

I think your primary goal in deciding on a school, if you are fortunate enough to have options, is to 1) put family considerations first and 2) limit your debt. People who are younger and/or richer than me and untethered to a partner may disagree.

Other factors to consider:

1. New environment if you want to explore at least a little in your life. Obviously we could live in the same town for 80 years, but that wouldn't be very fun now would it?

2. Where you want to live or be connected, since it's easier to get in with your home residency programs than probably anywhere else due to proximity to recommenders.

Members don't see this ad :)
My general impression of medical school is that the educational value largely comes down to the third year: the rotations. It seems that the breadth of experiences you have and the opportunities to see and do varied things during that third year is what really prepares you for your future in medicine.

During the first two years, most students claim to be self-reliant when it comes to learning the material. If that's really the case, at least for those first two years, it seems as if it doesn't matter where you go to school. Obviously, aspects of yrs 1 & 2 vary from one school to another, but at the end of the day you're learning the same stuff and taking the same boards regardless of where you go to school.

Beyond location and cost, I don't really buy the "where I'm happiest/ the best fit" BS. I'm buying an education, not a car.

Should selecting a medical school, then, ultimately come down to where you think you'll have the best opportunities and broadest experiences during year 3?

You're buying lots of things to varying degrees over the 4 years. Does the anatomy lab look like a dungeon? Will the reputation of the school help you if you want to apply for a competitive residency? Does the track record for residency placement favor any interest you have (e.g. family medicine) etc. Most schools have robust 3rd year rotations. I would argue it is the small nuances that are more influential than the core clinical rotations.

Clinical rotations take place during years 3 and 4.

I mostly agree with you. The curriculum for the first two years is standardized and largely meant to prepare you for the Step 1, which everyone has to take. There are various delivery methods (lecture, systems based, etc) but it's all the same material that you are responsible for learning on your own.

But the last two years are also fairly standard. You'll read the same review books and take the same shelf exams. Going to a school with an amazing surgery department does not mean you'll come out with superior knowledge or skills than students who learned in a "lesser" department. The quality of the residency program matters more in the long run.

I think your primary goal in deciding on a school, if you are fortunate enough to have options, is to 1) put family considerations first and 2) limit your debt. People who are younger and/or richer than me and untethered to a partner may disagree.

I'm gonna have to disagree here....I don't think it has to due with quality of the department, but some schools definitely have better rotations than others. Some things to consider: Are you "doing" or just watching other people "do"? Are there residents? Do these residents like to teach? Are they good teachers? Are they overwhelmed and confused because, for example, their residency program is weak? Are medical students a priority? When there is a procedure to be done, do they ask the medical student, or are there residents from 5 services and 4 other fellows that get called first? (I've seen residents in the ED not able to put in a chest tube in their own ED because policy states thoracic fellows, if available, must place them if non-emergent. Those are emergency residents unable to practice emergency procedures. How many procedures do you think the medical students do at this hospital?)

A few other considerations - what are your patients like? What language(s) do they speak? How many of them are there? Is the hospital population considered "underserved"? Is Lance Armstrong Memorial Oncology Department, the #1 oncology service in the world, a few blocks away from your hospital? If it is you can probably forget about caring for those complicated onc patients that can be very good learning experiences....

Last edited: