medbunny56

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Updates letters containing which of the following items could potentially have the greatest value/effect during the admissions cycle?

1. 1st author publication acceptance
2. Upper level science course grades (my current sgpa is 3.49 and cgpa is 3.64)
3. New research position
4. Mid author (5th) publication acceptance

Just trying to plan out my cycle accordingly

Thank you!

@gyngyn @Catalystik @LizzyM I would really appreciate your feedback whenever you get a chance :)

Last edited:

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Updates letters containing which of the following items have the greatest value/effect?

1. Accepted first author publications
2. Upper level science course grades
3. New research position
4. Mid author (5th) publication acceptance

Just trying to plan out my cycle accordingly

Thank you!
Obviously #4>#1

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
The only one that even rises to the level is being an first author with perhaps 5th author in a major journal

LOU (letters of updates) have generally limited affect for a few reasons. Some schools either directly state they do not accept them or note that they are not recommended. How applications are processed can explain much of that

1) Applications are often parsed sectionally to various readers/screeners.
2) Many schools still use static format (paper, PDF) for readers to review
3) Once a review point has reached and the application has been evaluated/scored, it has momentum to go forward in the process, especially at pre interview stage.

Remember a school will get thousands of applications that need to be reduced to several hundred interviews to a few hundred acceptees, to a hundred or so matriculating students. The first decision point for interview invites, done when application is complete with primary, secondary, MCAT and LORs, reduces a school's applicant pool by about 80%

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Just make sure the schools actually accept updates.

Updates letters containing which of the following items have the greatest value/effect?

2. Upper level science course grades

OP
M

medbunny56

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Status
Just make sure the schools actually accept updates.
So the grade updates are insignificant compared to the first author acceptance?

My cgpa is 3.64 and sgpa is 3.49

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

actually this to answer this whole question requires
1) knowledge of the applicant's background
2) area/type of update(s)
3) significance of the update(s)
4) point in application process

reporting your spring grades and/or summer grades if sufficiently signficant for someone with a less than stellar GPA may be worthy. However, I believe that grades by themselves usually arent enough to report, even if making the deans's list. Remember you want to make an impact so for most student, it is a combination of items, such as high summer grades and additional volunteer hours or summer research.

use your judgement

Reactions: medbunny56 and Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's not really going to help with that sGPA. The research powerhouses would like it, but it can't hurt to mention, no matter where you apply.

OP
M

medbunny56

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Status
It's not really going to help with that sGPA. The research powerhouses would like it, but it can't hurt to mention, no matter where you apply.
okay i will try to take a few science courses during fall and send those grades in January
in the meantime, I will also have 1-2 first author accepted publications during the next 2 months (i hope this will attract the research powerhouses)

Shirafune

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Medical Student
When do we sent updates for first author publications? Only after acceptance or is acceptance with minor revisions okay? How should we show proof of acceptance: acceptance letter from editor, DOI number, attachment of manuscript or what? At what point is an accepted manuscript processed enough for someone to send an update letter?

OP
M

medbunny56

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Status
actually this to answer this whole question requires
1) knowledge of the applicant's background
2) area/type of update(s)
3) significance of the update(s)
4) point in application process

reporting your spring grades and/or summer grades if sufficiently signficant for someone with a less than stellar GPA may be worthy. However, I believe that grades by themselves usually arent enough to report, even if making the deans's list. Remember you want to make an impact so for most student, it is a combination of items, such as high summer grades and additional volunteer hours or summer research.

use your judgement
I can only take one summer science class versus taking 3-4 fall science courses, would it better to just send the fall grades to schools since it's more than one class? I could take the summer class but I would rather focus on secondaries then go full force on the fall courses and send a few grades to schools as opposed to one to have a stronger impact

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I can only take one summer science class versus taking 3-4 fall science courses, would it better to just send the fall grades to schools since it's more than one class? I could take the summer class but I would rather focus on secondaries then go full force on the fall courses and send a few grades to schools as opposed to one to have a stronger impact
sending a single grade update is exactly the kind of thing that applicants should NOT do. It has little impact. You would be better off with a semesters worth of grades