Value of Upperlevel Science Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988749

I'm a psychology major and I'm probably not going to take anything like PChem, anatomy, physio, etc. I'm wondering if it will be a hindrance to my application and if I will be behind my fellow classmates in the future. I took an EMT course before and looking at the STEP1 book the med student in my lab has I could make out some questions from what I learned. I can imagine not taking anatomy putting me behind in M1. Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a psychology major and I'm probably not going to take anything like PChem, anatomy, physio, etc. I'm wondering if it will be a hindrance to my application and if I will be behind my fellow classmates in the future. I took an EMT course before and looking at the STEP1 book the med student in my lab has I could make out some questions from what I learned. I can imagine not taking anatomy putting me behind in M1. Can anyone shine some light on this for me?
During the application process, you will not be penalized for not having upper division coursework beyond the stated prerequisites. Upper division courses, while helpful to have, are by no means required to excel in medical school. There's significant redundancy built into the curriculum to ensure all students do well.

Reactions: 3 users
Anatomy, physiology, genetics, immunology, microbiology; these are all courses that cover topics that you will see in medical school. While they're not ever going to be mandatory, nor will you ever be penalized for not taking them by the adcoms directly, it would help a little bit to take them to get a head start on material covered in medical school.

With that being said, if taking these courses would mean your GPA would be hurt, then they are not worth taking at all.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
you should NOT be looking at anything related to Step I!

My school has matriculated people with the bare bones minimum requirements. They made it, and so can you.

Reactions: 4 users