Vanderbilt and AP Credit--UH OH!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j99

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at Vandy in 2 weeks, and I am just now finishing the secondary. Then I see that they explicitly say that they DON'T TAKE AP credits for prereqs. Problem! I have AP credit for gen chem, physics, and english. Now, I was a bio major, and I took biochem, analytical chem, and tons of upper level bio stuff. But no bones about it--I never took Gen Chem or Physics in college.

Now, they have already given me an interview. Do I call them up and say "sorry, I am ineligible for admission"? Or do I just list the AP credit on the app and just hope they miss it again? Why would they have given me an interview if I was prima facie ineligible?

Any ideas, y'all? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to the interview, and talk to the admission office regarding this problem. In the worst case scenario, they'll make you take Gen Chem, Phys, and English IN COLLEGE. If so, you can just take them this spring semester before you graduate.....and that will meet their Requirements before matriculation.

Problem is that I am already graduated from undergrad. I'm actually in law school and am almost done with it, too. So I don't exactly have time to go back and pick those courses up. But it seems ridiculous that I am qualified to write an appellate legal brief and appear before a court, but I would have to go back and take remedial English! Gotta love those rules and regulations...

Members don't see this ad :)
Call them up and ask them...sounds like a sticky situation :(
Might just have to pass it up..but call them and find out for sure :)
I loved Vandy when I was there!
GREAT school and Great city!

Has anybody else confronted this issue of AP credits? I'd hope they'd be flexible--I mean, I didn't take general chem in college, but I taught a general chem lab...anyhow, I guess I should call so as not to waste the trip. But I'd also hate to see the chance go down the tubes. Would it not be possibly worth the chance to go to the interview, try to wow them, then giving them a more concrete reason why they should be flexible? It seems like they would have a lot easier time telling me to get lost if I just called over the phone. And again: why would they even give me an interview to begin with? grr.......

Definitely call them and explain your situation (preferably to an Adcom). Those requirements are fairly general in nature and can't/won't apply to every single applicant. You seem more than qualified to warrant an exception...

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I also took AP physics and chem credit. I just listed on the secondary the upper level classes I took which I felt came closest to those fields (like a biophysics class or an advanced biochem, or whatever). I already did my interview and nothing was mentioned, I figure if it was really an issue that it would have come up in the interview. I'll let you know if I get in or not, but I'd say go ahead and interview, and if they mention it be fully honest, but if they don't then there's no reason to assume your upper level classes weren't satisfactory.

cool. I think that is what I plan on doing...