Vanderbilt Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

even though i'm not going there next year, I've been there the past 4 years, so u can ask questions about stuff other than the med school. just holla!

Current student, willing to share info. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
patzan said:
Current student, willing to share info. :)

it's friday again... anyone get a call from Vandy today?

(sorry if this is off topic...)

No, no, sorry if THIS is off topic, but does anyone know if Vanderbilt has a good amount of waitlist movement? I've heard from a lot of people who got waitlisted. They want me to wait too.

BTW I checked the old threads but they were directly contradictory on this topic.

The partner and I are really considering moving down to Nashville, but we are waiting to hear from other schools. The location is just scary to us. We only have the voting records of the South to go by, and I didn't really get a chance to sample Nashville while I was there. I guess my question is, how progressive is Nashville? More importantly, if the partner is to relocate with me, there has to be work for the partner to do. The partner will have a doctorate in electrical engineering and is concerned that Vanderbilt is not a strong school in electrical engineering. Are there strong schools in electrical engineering located in that area? Is our assessment of Vanderbilt and its engineering school correct?

I called Vandy earlier this week and was told that they reviewed applicants from the week of December 13th today. I will be patiently waiting by the phone... I had a rough week, I hope I get a call :scared:

Dr. Helderman told me that 30 people off the waitlist is not uncommon, but obviously that's going to vary year to year. And depending on people's other acceptances, they might drop their waitlist spots or decline offers to get in from the waitlist, so there's no telling how "deep" (considering the waitlist isn't really ranked) they'll go into it.

:luck: Canuck Razorback!

Dr. Donkey said:
No, no, sorry if THIS is off topic, but does anyone know if Vanderbilt has a good amount of waitlist movement? I've heard from a lot of people who got waitlisted. They want me to wait too.

BTW I checked the old threads but they were directly contradictory on this topic.
they have a huge amount of waitlist movement. more than any other school i've heard of. I know 4 people that got off the waitlist there. I think it's because they admit a very low number right off the bat and make a list of the others and just give so many acceptances to the top after the def-admits are locked-in. but yeah. lots :) gluck. 2 of my best friends got off the waitlist.

CanuckRazorback said:
I called Vandy earlier this week and was told that they reviewed applicants from the week of December 13th today. I will be patiently waiting by the phone... I had a rough week, I hope I get a call :scared:

:eek: is it really?? i interviewed that week also...
when i called a couple weeks back, i was told that our week would be reviewed on 2/18/05... maybe they caught up then, cuz you called more recently. well let us know if you get a call... good luck!! :)

also, those of you who have already gotten in... what time of the day do they usually call? has anyone gotten called the next day or something? man this is so nerve-wracking... :scared:

GuyLaroche said:
The partner and I are really considering moving down to Nashville, but we are waiting to hear from other schools. The location is just scary to us. We only have the voting records of the South to go by, and I didn't really get a chance to sample Nashville while I was there. I guess my question is, how progressive is Nashville? More importantly, if the partner is to relocate with me, there has to be work for the partner to do. The partner will have a doctorate in electrical engineering and is concerned that Vanderbilt is not a strong school in electrical engineering. Are there strong schools in electrical engineering located in that area? Is our assessment of Vanderbilt and its engineering school correct?
I was BME at vandy and the EE dept isn't the strongest in the nation, but it's still reputable for the area. companies do recognize it for sure. and so as progressive, I'm not sure what you mean. maybe clarify it? I love nashville as a town and I think you can get anything you want from it. there's lots of diversity in nashville...

Nothing yet. Every time the phone rings, I get this super feeling of excitement until I look at the caller ID and find out the call is coming from somewhere else than the 605 area code. I called Monday and talked to Dawn, but maybe we will be reviewed on the 18th who knows?

Thanks for the wishes of luck and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

CanuckRazorback said:
Nothing yet. Every time the phone rings, I get this super feeling of excitement until I look at the caller ID and find out the call is coming from somewhere else than the 605 area code. I called Monday and talked to Dawn, but maybe we will be reviewed on the 18th who knows?

Thanks for the wishes of luck and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

yeah i get the same feeling whenever the phone rings! heart is racing like crazy. this is so sad, i know. :( i only have a cell too... i'm even afraid to go to the bathroom or leave the building (cuz there's a period of time where there's no reception, since i'm in the hospital/medical center and there's only reception right next to the window). but seeing as it's now close to 7PM CST... there's very little hope of us getting a call today. :'(

i bet you're right though Canuck... if you called this week and she said they're reviewing the week of Dec 13, it's probably correct. i was hoping that maybe since i interviewed on Friday of that week, maybe they won't get to our group yet. oh well... here comes the waitlist/rejection letter next week... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you guys don't freak unnecessarily, Nashville's area code is 615. I think some people were called over the weekend, so here's hoping for good news for you!

ardemus said:
what time of the day do they usually call? has anyone gotten called the next day or something? man this is so nerve-wracking... :scared:

The first call came around 4:30 EST, but since I was away from my phone, I wasn't able to pick up at that time. The second call came around 7:00 EST.

Good luck!!! Hang in there :thumbup:

If you're hoping to get off the waitlist, it won't happen until May 15th or later. Some people in our class were accepted in July. Just be patient (and let them know they're the best).

No phone call tonight :( Maybe tomorrow :confused:

CanuckRazorback said:
No phone call tonight :( Maybe tomorrow :confused:

hey, dun worry, i'm in the same boat. ;)
what day did you interview? i'm just hoping that maybe they're only doing part of that week's... or maybe they'll call during the weekend (adcom taking time out of their weekends?? really??). well like someone mentioned before, they don't want to accept too many ppl... so a lot of waitlist ppl get to go in the end. it would just suck having to wait til after May 15th though.... :-\

ardemus said:
hey, dun worry, i'm in the same boat. ;)
what day did you interview? i'm just hoping that maybe they're only doing part of that week's... or maybe they'll call during the weekend (adcom taking time out of their weekends?? really??). well like someone mentioned before, they don't want to accept too many ppl... so a lot of waitlist ppl get to go in the end. it would just suck having to wait til after May 15th though.... :-\

I interviewed on the 13th (Monday). The nice thing about getting in right away, besides not having to wait until May 15th ;) , is that you get to go to the second look week-end.

CanuckRazorback said:
I interviewed on the 13th (Monday). The nice thing about getting in right away, besides not having to wait until May 15th ;) , is that you get to go to the second look week-end.

awww ... yeah i would love to go to second look weekend! doh! at this rate, i won't be going to any second look weekends. i feel so bad about myself. :( it's not like i'm a ******... but i applied so late... and then missed some deadlines. damn...
oh well, i only have myself to blame. there's always next year...

So not a peep yet uh? This is KILLING ME!!!

RunMimi said:
For those headed to Nashville next year, post here to discuss housing and other essentials! :D

Hey RunMimi! Have you definitely decided to go to Vandy next year, or are you still considering other options? I myself am still on the fence...I absolutely loved Vanderbilt, but I'm not sure I can manage it financially.

RunMimi said:
To be honest, I'm waiting on a lot of non-rolling schools to come in next March. I think if I don't get into anymore schools, then I will be at Vadnerbilt. Hopefully I won't have to pay the waitlist game and I'll know for certain in a month! Of course if Vandy gave me money, that would probably seal the deal! Where are you deciding between?

I'm actually waivering between my state schools (both of which have offered me scholarship money), Vandy and Emory. Vanderbilt is probably my first choice, although I was impressed by Emory as well. But it would be hard to turn down scholarship money to pay private school tuition! Thankfully I'm not waiting on acceptances to other schools, but I will have to wait and see what happens with financial aid packages. Good luck with the non-rolling schools! Hopefully you'll hear from them early in March!

Does Vanderbilt waitlist a LOT of people, and if so what about waitlist movement? Seems like they do from people I have talked to, and some people on this board seem to have to have very good stats that end up getting waitlisted there.

Does Vanderbilt waitlist a LOT of people? Seems like they do from people I have talked to, and some people on this board seem to have to have very good stats that end up getting waitlisted there.

Dr. Donkey said:
Does Vanderbilt waitlist a LOT of people? Seems like they do from people I have talked to, and some people on this board seem to have to have very good stats that end up getting waitlisted there.

yes they waitlist tons of ppl... (i have only heard of 1 person getting rejected, vs the 20 or so ppl i've heard that got waitlisted... then again maybe ppl don't want to admit they got rejected??)
and i guess it's not all about numbers (even Wiggy got waitlisted... see the other tread about "are the MDapplicants entries for real?") which gives me some hope... but not much. good luck! :D let us know of you get in...

speaking of which, did anyone get in this past Friday?? if so, please tell us what day your interview was. Canuck and are just dyin' here. :(

ardemus said:
yes they waitlist tons of ppl... (i have only heard of 1 person getting rejected, vs the 20 or so ppl i've heard that got waitlisted... then again maybe ppl don't want to admit they got rejected??)
and i guess it's not all about numbers (even Wiggy got waitlisted... see the other tread about "are the MDapplicants entries for real?") which gives me some hope... but not much. good luck! :D let us know of you get in...

speaking of which, did anyone get in this past Friday?? if so, please tell us what day your interview was. Canuck and are just dyin' here. :(

Yes! I am dying!!! I can't take this anymore, just tell us already!

Okay, so here's the latest... By the way, Dawn in admissions has to be the nicest person in any admissions office in the country. Every time I talk to her, I feel like she is just as anxious as I am. Dawn is the best! :clap:

So I called today and was told that I should hear sometimes next week. I interviewed on December 13th. She made it sound like they were still debating on my status, so maybe they have gotten to our files but haven't made all their decisions. Guess who's getting an update letter before Friday :laugh:

I hope this helps alleviate some of the stress. I am heading to USC tomorrow so I am hoping a little LA fun will relax me. One thing is for sure, I will be glued to my phone Friday night!

Good luck everyone!!! :luck:

CanuckRazorback said:
Okay, so here's the latest... By the way, Dawn in admissions has to be the nicest person in any admissions office in the country. Every time I talk to her, I feel like she is just as anxious as I am. Dawn is the best! :clap:

So I called today and was told that I should hear sometimes next week. I interviewed on December 13th. She made it sound like they were still debating on my status, so maybe they have gotten to our files but haven't made all their decisions. Guess who's getting an update letter before Friday :laugh:

I hope this helps alleviate some of the stress. I am heading to USC tomorrow so I am hoping a little LA fun will relax me. One thing is for sure, I will be glued to my phone Friday night!

Good luck everyone!!! :luck:

Thanks for the update!! :) so there's hope after all. i would be so thrilled to get a phone call Friday... (before i leave for frigid Cleveland, OH).
ummm what is the phone number for Dawn? (maybe you can PM me if you don't want to post that... but should be ok right?) i always get Linda when i call... (although Linda's always super nice too... but she's not very hopeful. all i got was: "admission committee mails out a letter on Friday or Monday" which isn't true!! cuz they call!!!)

ok good luck!!! Hope we can make the cut... :luck:

ardemus said:
Thanks for the update!! :) so there's hope after all. i would be so thrilled to get a phone call Friday... (before i leave for frigid Cleveland, OH).
ummm what is the phone number for Dawn? (maybe you can PM me if you don't want to post that... but should be ok right?) i always get Linda when i call... (although Linda's always super nice too... but she's not very hopeful. all i got was: "admission committee mails out a letter on Friday or Monday" which isn't true!! cuz they call!!!)

ok good luck!!! Hope we can make the cut... :luck:

I get Linda too when I call, but I ask to speak to Dawn. I just call the regular admission office number.

Dear Matthew:

As a Vanderbilt applicant who is holding a place in the 2005 first year class of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, you are cordially invited to attend Vanderbilt's Second Visit Weekend scheduled for April 1-3, 2005. This weekend is to help you become even better acquainted with Vanderbilt's outstanding faculty, students and programs.

Vanderbilt will be responsible for room and tax for your two night stay at the Holiday Inn Select Vanderbilt (2613 West End Avenue) and will reimburse your air travel up to $500 upon receiving your receipt. Meals for Friday night through Saturday night will be provided.

Please reply to this invitation by completing the RSVP form in the attached file and e-mailing it back to [email protected] no later than March 1, 2005.

We are looking forward to seeing you in April.

Steven G. Gabbe, M.D.
Dean
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

Scott Rodgers, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Medical Student Affairs

Hal Helderman, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions

Patricia Sagen, Ph.D.
Director of Admissions
pat.sagen@vanderbilt

The posted e-mail is not accurate, Mateodaspy. It should read "dear Matthew/AMCAS ID". If you're going to post something on this website, please make sure it is 100% unedited.

On a less trying-hard-to-be-funny note, the second look weekend clashes with Duke's. For those hoping to get into Duke, which would you go to?

PS: I don't do the Holiday Inn. They'll have to make other arrangements regarding my accomodations should I decide to come.

GuyLaroche said:
The posted e-mail is not accurate, Mateodaspy. It should read "dear Matthew/AMCAS ID". If you're going to post something on this website, please make sure it is 100% unedited.

On a less trying-hard-to-be-funny note, the second look weekend clashes with Duke's. For those hoping to get into Duke, which would you go to?

PS: I don't do the Holiday Inn. They'll have to make other arrangements regarding my accomodations should I decide to come.

Haha... you don't do Holiday Inn? Care to explain? ;)

Is anyone going on 2nd look weekend leaving from New York?
Thought we might be able to schedule the same flight.

leechy said:
Haha... you don't do Holiday Inn? Care to explain? ;)

Are there five star Holiday Inns? I don't think so. I believe that they are inexpensive hotels, and post medical school applications, I think anyone who wants me can and should do better. I have paid my dues. It is about time schools started treating me like the prince that I am. I am thinking more along the lines of the Hilton - a penthouse suite.

some merit scholarships have already been given out..in regards to Duke's 2nd look, i think i may have to pass vandy up for duke. i am already kinda solid in how i feel about vandy.. it's cool and all, but i am more interested in getting a better look at Duke. I feel like i saw more in nashville than i did in durham and i just want to make doubly sure about this...ho hum...

To answer CanuckRazorback's request:

I interviewed Monday, December 6th and got a call Friday, February 4th. Dr. Helderman was on a plane. It was kind of funny to hear airplane announcements interrupting him all the time.

In regards to the Second Look weekend:

It seems hard to pass up a free trip! But put in the position of choosing between Duke's and Vandy's I don't really know what I'd do. I'm from NC and have worked at Duke, but I'm still curious what they have planned. Hopefully this predicament will be something I will have to deal with.

RunMimi said:
I realize this might be a little snobbish, but...

While I was looking up flights to Vandy, I realized that for much less than $500, I could stil get a refundable flight. So if come the beginning of March, I find out I get into Duke and want to go to their second look (I still don't think I would because I LIVE here), I could just cancel the ticket and tell Vandy with one month to spare. Just an idea for those on the fence.

We should go together.

RunMimi said:
Yes, but I thought you were set on Duke?

Pretty much, but I am not opposed to checking Vandy out. It sounds like a super cool school... from what I've heard.

jankanator said:
To answer CanuckRazorback's request:

I interviewed Monday, December 6th and got a call Friday, February 4th. Dr. Helderman was on a plane. It was kind of funny to hear airplane announcements interrupting him all the time.

In regards to the Second Look weekend:

It seems hard to pass up a free trip! But put in the position of choosing between Duke's and Vandy's I don't really know what I'd do. I'm from NC and have worked at Duke, but I'm still curious what they have planned. Hopefully this predicament will be something I will have to deal with.

Thanks for the info. Well, it's Friday again so let's see what today brings for those of us who are still painfully waiting...

Good luck everyone! :luck:

CanuckRazorback said:
Thanks for the info. Well, it's Friday again so let's see what today brings for those of us who are still painfully waiting...

Good luck everyone! :luck:

oh my, the days fly by so fast! friday yet again... good luck canuck (and others who are waiting)! ;)

Got the letter today dated 2/15. I thought I would be really sad if I got waitlisted even if a lot of people do get off the list, but I had such a great time at U$C Wednesday that I don't even care. They waitlisted one of their own with a 42/4.0 so what was I expecting?

For the record, my interview was 12/13. Hope the phone rings tonight for those of you waiting to hear!

Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

CanuckRazorback said:
Got the letter today dated 2/15. I thought I would be really sad if I got waitlisted even if a lot of people do get off the list, but I had such a great time at U$C Wednesday that I don't even care. They waitlisted one of their own with a 42/4.0 so what was I expecting?

For the record, my interview was 12/13. Hope the phone rings tonight for those of you waiting to hear!

Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

nope... didn't hear anything tonight. guess my letter's on its way. :(

I loved Vanderbilt when I interviewed, and still do -- but is anyone else concerned about the loooong hours in class? I don't think this will be a make-it-or-break-it type thing for me, but it's still something to think about. I'd be interested to hear what others think (about Vandy specifically). Thanks! :)

did ANYONE who interviewed the week of the 13th hear ANYTHING this friday? :confused:

i didn't get a phone call but haven't received a waitlist or rejection letter either... somebody help... :(

SmartyPants said:
did ANYONE who interviewed the week of the 13th hear ANYTHING this friday? :confused:

i didn't get a phone call but haven't received a waitlist or rejection letter either... somebody help... :(

13th of December: Yes! I got wailisted. Letter postmarked 2/15.

13th of January: They probably haven't gotten to you yet.

EpointH said:
I loved Vanderbilt when I interviewed, and still do -- but is anyone else concerned about the loooong hours in class? I don't think this will be a make-it-or-break-it type thing for me, but it's still something to think about. I'd be interested to hear what others think (about Vandy specifically). Thanks! :)

The first semester does have a lot of in-class time. However, I think the reason for it is because everyone goes to class first semester. The professors are in large excellent teachers and students understand that they get more out of "studying" in class than trying to learn it on their own. That said, the Emphasis program took up an entire afternoon per week this year and will undoubtedly be shortened for future classes. Now that we're into second semester, a lot more of the classes are such that you can choose to go to class or not and still be fine. Professors' notes are so well written that note-taking in class is not necessary and you can choose to read it on your own or attend class and ask questions PRN. Our in-class time is significantly less this semester, despite having three major classes instead of the two. True, I spend more time studying this semester than last, which may add up to more than the extra time in class last semester, but I'm told this is perhaps the most intense semester of the first two years. Anyone weighing pros and cons, feel free to PM me with questions.

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt accepts a lot of people initially (close to twice the targeted number for matriculation like at some schools) and then accepts relatively few people from the waitlist to fill in the narrow gap, or do they accept many fewer people initially and pull heavily from the waitlist to fill the void? I know no one besides an admissions official would have the real low down, but did anyone get a sense of which way they leaned on this issue during your interviews? Thanks.

Dr. Donkey said:
Does anyone know if Vanderbilt accepts a lot of people initially (close to twice the targeted number for matriculation like at some schools) and then accepts relatively few people from the waitlist to fill in the narrow gap, or do they accept many fewer people initially and pull heavily from the waitlist to fill the void? I know no one besides an admissions official would have the real low down, but did anyone get a sense of which way they leaned on this issue during your interviews? Thanks.
From what the dean of admissions told me, they don't overtly try to do either. Three adcom members give you a score and if the average is 1-1.5 you're in, 1.5-2 you're waitlisted with a shot at getting in, and higher than that you may be waitlisted but probably won't get pulled even if they don't reject you outright. However, it seems like they end up going into their waitlist quite a bit, to the tune of 30ish - and considering that once you take off the 6 early commitment folks from Vandy undergrad and ~15 MD-PhDs you're down to 80 or so regular admission MDs, that's a pretty big portion of the class.