Vanderbilt Facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meeher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was accepted at Vanderbilt about three weeks ago, and the more I read about the school and its new curriculum, the more I really like it. The problem is my interview was scheduled during the tour (who DOES that!?!!?), so I basically saw nothing (which is why I never got a real feel for the school). Could anyone describe the nature of the facilities (i.e. anatomy labs, small-group learning, library, hospital (not Children's), etc.)? I saw the first year lecture hall and it didn't seem all that new, so this scares me for the rest of the facilities. I know the Children's Hospital is really nice, but given not much time will be spent there until clinical years, I'm more interested in the nature of the main hospital and the school learning facilities. I've heard they are opening a new building starting our first year for simulations and stuff, which is really cool.

Also, are the computers in the labs relatively new and plentiful? Thanks so much!

See some of you guys at Second Look =).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was accepted at Vanderbilt about three weeks ago, and the more I read about the school and its new curriculum, the more I really like it. The problem is my interview was scheduled during the tour (who DOES that!?!!?), so I basically saw nothing (which is why I never got a real feel for the school). Could anyone describe the nature of the facilities (i.e. anatomy labs, small-group learning, library, hospital (not Children's), etc.)? I saw the first year lecture hall and it didn't seem all that new, so this scares me for the rest of the facilities. I know the Children's Hospital is really nice, but given not much time will be spent there until clinical years, I'm more interested in the nature of the main hospital and the school learning facilities. I've heard they are opening a new building starting our first year for simulations and stuff, which is really cool.

Also, are the computers in the labs relatively new and plentiful? Thanks so much!

P.S. I am also really liking UPitt, but I was waitlisted =(. The two schools I've read are very similar though so I'm grateful Vandy accepted me (but I want to know the nature of the facilities!). Thanks again!

The facilities (i think) are AWESOME! There are two student lounges (that are huge) - one for fun (ping pong table) and one for studying (with beds!), the library is all windows, and beautiful. The anatomy lab is being moved/renovated as we speak for us next year. It's goiing to be on a top floor with windows everywhere (nice!). The only thing that was odd about the facilities is that all the first years have all their classes (except for lab stuff) in one classroom, and all the second years are next door in their classroom. But since they're revamping the curriculum, maybe we'll move around more... the hospital is great, the children's hospital greater. After interviewing at the UCs, Vanderbilt definitely made obvious the difference between public and private institutions!

Does anyone know any details for what they will actually do to revamp the curriculuum? any idea what the normal work week in years 1 and 2 will be like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know any details for what they will actually do to revamp the curriculuum? any idea what the normal work week in years 1 and 2 will be like?

There's no schedule yet, but they did say that they are SIGNIFICANTLY decreasing the number of lecture hours and somewhat decreasing anatomy lecture. I spoke to the anatomy guru there (who wrote the anatomy book almost all schools use), and he was a little upset at it, but there's still over 150 hours in anatomy lab (I think they're going to have 180 instead of 220, but i don't remember exactly), so he'll get over it :). Overall though, the current students are mad jealous that we get the new curriculum :). It's far more integrated (but maintains some repetition).

There's no schedule yet, but they did say that they are SIGNIFICANTLY decreasing the number of lecture hours and somewhat decreasing anatomy lecture. I spoke to the anatomy guru there (who wrote the anatomy book almost all schools use), and he was a little upset at it, but there's still over 150 hours in anatomy lab (I think they're going to have 180 instead of 220, but i don't remember exactly), so he'll get over it :). Overall though, the current students are mad jealous that we get the new curriculum :). It's far more integrated (but maintains some repetition).

i guess my questions would be answered at second look anyway! im going to fly first class since they pay for it (up to 500$) :p

i guess my questions would be answered at second look anyway! im going to fly first class since they pay for it (up to 500$) :p

you kidding?! haha. well, my ticket is more expensive anyway... so economy for me! :( Maybe you can wave to me from first class, and snag me a mini bottle of wine.

Oh, that sounds great! I wonder if the new curriculum will have growing pains. It did strike me when I was over there that Vandy goes from 8-5 almost every day whereas other med schools usually have 8-12 three days a week, and 8-5 the other two days. Maybe that is how the curriculum is changing too.

Vandy gives us $500 for flights or does it include hotel? I'll be coming from Duke, so I can also do first-class with the $500 hehe (although Delta gives me free upgrades anyway). Peripatetic, are you from CA? I am!

Oh, that sounds great! I wonder if the new curriculum will have growing pains. It did strike me when I was over there that Vandy goes from 8-5 almost every day whereas other med schools usually have 8-12 three days a week, and 8-5 the other two days. Maybe that is how the curriculum is changing too.

Vandy gives us $500 for flights or does it include hotel? I'll be coming from Duke, so I can also do first-class with the $500 hehe (although Delta gives me free upgrades anyway). Peripatetic, are you from CA? I am!

Yup :). I'm going home before I come to V too, so it'll be a long flight :). But I heart CA :) :)

Is Vandy your first choice? The only thing that I'm hesitant about is Nashville. Having been in the South for 4 years for Duke, I don't really want to stay here, but if I feel like I like Vandy, I'll stick with it.

Is Vandy your first choice? The only thing that I'm hesitant about is Nashville. Having been in the South for 4 years for Duke, I don't really want to stay here, but if I feel like I like Vandy, I'll stick with it.

Vandy is my first choice until I hear back from the UCs. They are SO SLOW! grrrr. But I've been away from home for a while, studying on the east coast and abroad, so part of me wants to go back to my mom's Greek cooking and hiking in the foothills, you know what i mean?

its up to 500$ for the whole flight, round -trip (i believe you just have to bring the receipt and the ticket...?).

they set us up with free hotel and free food.

i dont think nashville is anything like durham. i personally want to be in the NE for medschool.... but im not sure how I will fare in the ridiculous cold.

Yeah same here, except the UC's pretty much all rejected me for some reason. I haven't heard back from UCLA and was placed on hold for UCSD. I don't know why they don't like my school =(. I think private schools (especially those of Vandy's caliber) are probably better just because they have more freedom to experiment, although most of the UC's are amazing schools anyway. I actually liked USC just because of the clinical exposure you get at General Hospital and Northwestern for its emphasis on community health in Chicago. I'm also waiting to hear from Harvard which I really liked because of its outreach and resources, and the students seemed really down-to-earth. But I haven't heard back from any of them yet, so my choice is right now pretty easy hehe. Vanderbilt's an amazing school, and its Emphasis program is exactly what I want, so I'm excited with whatever happens.

Yeah, Durham sucks and I'm sure Nashville is better.

Yeah same here, except the UC's pretty much all rejected me for some reason. I haven't heard back from UCLA and was placed on hold for UCSD. I don't know why they don't like my school =(. I think private schools (especially those of Vandy's caliber) are probably better just because they have more freedom to experiment, although most of the UC's are amazing schools anyway. I actually liked USC just because of the clinical exposure you get at General Hospital and Northwestern for its emphasis on community health in Chicago. I'm also waiting to hear from Harvard which I really liked because of its outreach and resources, and the students seemed really down-to-earth. But I haven't heard back from any of them yet, so my choice is right now pretty easy hehe. Vanderbilt's an amazing school, and its Emphasis program is exactly what I want, so I'm excited with whatever happens.

Yeah, Durham sucks and I'm sure Nashville is better.
I doubt the drivers are worse in Durham, but I've enjoyed being here basically five years. There's enough stuff to do that I don't feel like I have to leave right away. Even if you don't care for Nashville, it's probably tolerable for four years if Vandy is your first choice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Bretticus,

Does the lecture room have power ports for computers? I plan on taking my tablet PC but because there is a lot of lecture, it will probably run out of batteries before classes end. Do you also consider the lecturers engaging and the room comfortable? Thanks!

regarding the schedule, here's what someone posted on the vandy 2011 class thread:

M1 Fall: M,W,F 8-12; T,Th 8-4
M1 Spring: all days 8-12

M2 Fall: MWF 8-12, TTh 8-4
M2 Spring: TWF 8-12; MTh 8-4

From M2 Spring onwards, you also have Emphasis as needed.

Isn't there emphasis during the first two years? I thought that was a big thing because you had to present your research end of second year...Also, I don't think elective time is built into this. We need to do three electives before the end of second year I think.

Isn't there emphasis during the first two years? I thought that was a big thing because you had to present your research end of second year...Also, I don't think elective time is built into this. We need to do three electives before the end of second year I think.

Ya, Emphasis starts M1 Spring.

How bout the Bball upset today over #1 and defending champ Florida? Woot woot!

Florida ranks 58th in RPI strength of schedule. They are a great team but its easier to get through a basketball season in the SEC (compare that with Duke and UNC that are always beat up by the time March Madness comes around)

regarding the schedule, here's what someone posted on the vandy 2011 class thread:

M1 Fall: M,W,F 8-12; T,Th 8-4
M1 Spring: all days 8-12

M2 Fall: MWF 8-12, TTh 8-4
M2 Spring: TWF 8-12; MTh 8-4

From M2 Spring onwards, you also have Emphasis as needed.

Hey, I posted that. It's actually the old schdeule, not modified for the new curriculum next year. Not sure how it will change.

Hey Bretticus,

Does the lecture room have power ports for computers? I plan on taking my tablet PC but because there is a lot of lecture, it will probably run out of batteries before classes end. Do you also consider the lecturers engaging and the room comfortable? Thanks!
I'm not sure because I'm not there yet ;)

Just a lowly premed coming from Vandy undergrad. Go Commodores... w00t! :D

Trust me, the campus is in an uproar. :D

As far as the electric ports go though, I don't think the lecture hall has them. These rooms leave something to be desired, but don't let them make or break your decision.

Florida ranks 58th in RPI strength of schedule. They are a great team but its easier to get through a basketball season in the SEC (compare that with Duke and UNC that are always beat up by the time March Madness comes around)

is that right? NO! the SEC has the most ranked teams in the league...at least 4 top 25s going in to the season so i def don't think that it's easy to dominate in the SEC. goodbye. sorry to interrupt your scholarly convo with this sports jab. go DORES!

Duke is always in an uproar when we win =).

So, the schedule is from the old curriculum? That schedule is actually not bad, but if you look on Vanderbilt's course calendar website for first-years, it becomes worse when you include Emphasis and electives--almost every day is 8-5. I wonder how it will change...hm, maybe a call to JoVan is in order for me (I'm too inpatient to wait until April :p ).

I think it's hard to decrease classtime hours if we now have electives, Emphasis, PBL sessions, and lecture/lab. Weekly PBL is new, and you still have to cover the same material in lecture, so I just can't see it--maybe they reserve lecture material for small group sessions? Vandy's curriculum is definitely one of the best, but it's also one of the most loaded I've seen, so it's going to be inevitable to be away from home all day.

And the lecture room doesn't have power ports? Darn! Now I've got to bring like 5 batteries with me every day if we're staying in that room all morning and maybe afternoon :( .

Trust me, the campus is in an uproar. :D

As far as the electric ports go though, I don't think the lecture hall has them. These rooms leave something to be desired, but don't let them make or break your decision.
there are electric ports in both lecture halls. But I do agree those lecture halls are not ideal.

there are electric ports in both lecture halls. But I do agree those lecture halls are not ideal.
Gotta love the portrait of Yoda though. I will probably go just for that :laugh:

Haha, there's a picture of Yoda?! Where?!

So, CELA is that building they are building on top and on the side of Light Hall? It will have all the simulation stuff for our class right? I think it's supposed to be done in the Fall...I certainly hope so!

And anyone know about the computer lab and printing situation at the school? Is printing for free and are there enough computers?

While I'm no construction expert, I wouldn't hold your breath on that new building being completed by the time classes start. I've walked by it every day since this summer, and there's still a lot of work left to be done with it.

The biomedical library is new and gorgeous, with floor to ceiling glass and plenty of computers. The undergrads do have access to the library, but med students can kick them out of the study carrells on any floor but the ground floor. You get 30 pages of free printing each day, but after that you're on the honor system. Take that for what you will. (;)) Copy machines do require money though.

I never knew about Yoda....

So, the yoda came from some event (maybe cadaver ball? or something?), where they covered ALL the past heads of Vanderbilt (all the old men) with posters of characters. For some reason, Yoda was the only one that was not removed. Go figure, maybe the admin likes him.

While I'm no construction expert, I wouldn't hold your breath on that new building being completed by the time classes start. I've walked by it every day since this summer, and there's still a lot of work left to be done with it.

The biomedical library is new and gorgeous, with floor to ceiling glass and plenty of computers. The undergrads do have access to the library, but med students can kick them out of the study carrells on any floor but the ground floor. You get 30 pages of free printing each day, but after that you're on the honor system. Take that for what you will. (;)) Copy machines do require money though.

I never knew about Yoda....
I was told it would be ready for us, but you never know if they're going to be behind, etc.

Hello,

P.S. I am also really liking UPitt, but I was waitlisted =(. The two schools I've read are very similar though so I'm grateful Vandy accepted me (but I want to know the nature of the facilities!). Thanks again!

Just an off-the-cuff question: What does it take to get into Vandy? Everyone I know has been rejected pre-secondary. I had a 30 and a 4.0 and my friend had a 33 and 3.9+ and we were both rejected pre-secondary. Now we're in the top of our class at our state school (NJ). Since their initial screen obviously isn't academic, what is the initial screen based on? I'm not bitter, just curious why we didn't even get consideration.

Just an off-the-cuff question: What does it take to get into Vandy? Everyone I know has been rejected pre-secondary. I had a 30 and a 4.0 and my friend had a 33 and 3.9+ and we were both rejected pre-secondary. Now we're in the top of our class at our state school (NJ). Since their initial screen obviously isn't academic, what is the initial screen based on? I'm not bitter, just curious why we didn't even get consideration.

Passing the initial screen is equivalent to an interview invite, which comes automatically with the secondary application, so it's pretty much based on your entire application, including ECs and essays (though I don't think they upload your recs until after they invite you).

Though I love Vandy, if you look on the list of schools people were accepted from, they're not exactly friendly to state schools. Not saying this is necessarily the case for you, but it looks to me like it's definitely harder if you're not from a good private...

The CELA looks awesome though, especially with the simulation center (which, similarly, impressed me at Pitt). I really hope they finish it when we need it...maybe they'll put new lecture rooms there too as a surprise for us! =) That would make my day.

As to Bretticus' comment, it isn't so much that they aren't friendly to public schools because there are quite a few public schools on the list. I think they don't just reject people because they come from a certain school--it's probably just what it turns out to be with the individuals they are looking for, and if you look at other schools from the top 20, they also have similar acceptance and matriculation lists.

Even if it were based just on numbers, the truth is that coming from a school that doesn't send a lot of kids to that particular school makes your GPA very tough for them to evaluate. For, say, a kid from Vanderbilt undergrad, they know pretty closely what they can expect from a 3.8 or a 4.0 or whatnot. For a school that they're less familiar with, they don't know exactly what the GPA implies, so they have to rely more heavily on the MCAT score.

To be around the national median for MCAT scores (students admitted to med schools have a 30 as about the average) and applying to one of the top few schools in the country makes that into an uphill battle. And while a 33 is pretty close to Vandy's median of 35, it still means he's got to present something compelling in his essay and EC's and research to generate interest on their part.

Don't ask me why they decided to interview me. I'm definitely not a stats ***** and I also went to a state school. I did get waitlisted though. This process is extremely random, you can never guess what's going to strike someone as unique.

Don't ask me why they decided to interview me. I'm definitely not a stats ***** and I also went to a state school. I did get waitlisted though. This process is extremely random, you can never guess what's going to strike someone as unique.

i think secondary app essays are more important than people believe.

its silly that most of us spend max a few hours on an essay while we would 0countless hours studying for tests.

Though I love Vandy, if you look on the list of schools people were accepted from, they're not exactly friendly to state schools. Not saying this is necessarily the case for you, but it looks to me like it's definitely harder if you're not from a good private...

It is the case for both of us. I guess that makes sense then.

Even if it were based just on numbers, the truth is that coming from a school that doesn't send a lot of kids to that particular school makes your GPA very tough for them to evaluate. For, say, a kid from Vanderbilt undergrad, they know pretty closely what they can expect from a 3.8 or a 4.0 or whatnot. For a school that they're less familiar with, they don't know exactly what the GPA implies, so they have to rely more heavily on the MCAT score.

To be around the national median for MCAT scores (students admitted to med schools have a 30 as about the average) and applying to one of the top few schools in the country makes that into an uphill battle. And while a 33 is pretty close to Vandy's median of 35, it still means he's got to present something compelling in his essay and EC's and research to generate interest on their part.

I agree, I don't think its safe to assume that it's not a numbers screen just because you didn't get an interview at a top 20 school with a low (with respect to Vandy's mean) MCAT score and a high GPA from a state school.

Also I believe that while a high mcat is trumped by truly phenomenal EC's for schools like Harvard, JHU, and Yale, the schools ranked between 10-25 place a greater empahsis on admitting students with high mcats because it boosts their "exclusivity appeal" in the MSAR and on USNEWs.

i think secondary app essays are more important than people believe.

I agree with your sentiment, but in this case, the question was why he didn't even receive a secondary. So that couldn't be the explanation.

Hello all,

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, or if everyone knows, but I emailed Dr. Zic today about the curriculum. Specifically, I was interested to see if there was going to be a biostat course offered and how the day would be structured. He replied, noting that biostat would be part of the PPS course and that lecture would be in the morning, and lab/small group discussion would be during some afternoons (similar to what was shown earlier). PBL is incorporated into some of the discussions, but it is by no means as PBL'ish as Northwestern's curriculum for instance. Hope this helps! He told me that more information (once finalized) would be available during Second Look.