Vanderbilt Post-Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bb88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Vandy rejecting people post-interview, or is it just either acceptance or waitlist?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have yet to hear of a rejected person.

bb88--did you hear back from Vandy recently? If so when were you completed? I was told that the decision process would take about 8 weeks. I believe Vandy does reject people post-interview, in addition to waitlisting and accepting. If they interview 900 or so applicants this year and give out 250 acceptances (from what someone else mentioned in another thread), Vandy can't possibly have a waitlist of 650 people, or I wouldn't think they do?

Best of luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone posted on another thread that they reject 10%, waitlist 80%, and accept 10%. I don't know if that's true or not, but I have heard that they waitlist a lot of people. 3 of the students that took us on the campus tour came off the waitlist.

What up,
Thanks for the info people.

Yeah I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected either, but I talked to the office and they said they do. I'm not sure if they're just being nice to give me hope for being put on the waitlist or not, but if anyone knows anything, it would be great to post it.

I am still waiting to hear from Vandy as well. I interviewed Nov23rd. Has anyone heard from them recently?

Has nobody heard from Vandy recently?

I interviewed on 11/15 and received a phone call from the secretary for the dean of admissions today. She wanted to know my Fall '04 grades - I dictated them to her over the phone.

She said I should hear back soon.

Perhaps tomorrrow?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I believe they have rejected applicants after the interview but they do tend to have a large number of individuals on the waiting list.

I called them recently and I was told that the waiting list is not ranked and about 30-32 students are taken off the waiting list each year. I am not sure how Vanderbilt takes students off the waiting list if it is not ranked.

When I called, I was told that the admission committee meets every Friday. I interviewd 11/23 and still haven't heard a thing. Here's to hoping my file is being evaluated tomorrow!

If anyone hears anything, please post.

Gracianks

CanuckRazorback said:
Someone posted on another thread that they reject 10%, waitlist 80%, and accept 10%. I don't know if that's true or not, but I have heard that they waitlist a lot of people. 3 of the students that took us on the campus tour came off the waitlist.

that sucks!!!!

Psycho Doctor said:
that sucks!!!!

Mmmm, YES! Especially considering that they interview A LOT of people. But who knows? Maybe it's another urban legend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think the 80% waitlisted figure is correct. The other person who said 30-32 people off the waitlist each year makes a lot more sense (I got waitlisted too). Maybe they 80% number comes from overly optimistic waitlistees???

Psycho Doctor said:
that sucks!!!!

Anyone get the feeling they are talking about us right now?

Also, for anyone who has been accepted, when did you get the call. I heard some people got Saturday calls?

Well, I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but I was rejected post-interview from Vandy (interviewed in Septmeber, rejection letter in December). Don't worry though..... this was not unexpected (I posted about my experience in the interview feedback section). I think so long as you didn't have an interview like mine, you'll be accepted or waitlisted.

hey, just thought i'd let you all know. i got the acceptance call today (friday, 1/14). i interviewed on 11/15.

best of luck!

Mateodaspy said:
hey, just thought i'd let you all know. i got the acceptance call today (friday, 1/14). i interviewed on 11/15.

best of luck!

Congrats Mateo!!! That's wonderful news!!! =)) Way to begin the weekend. :D I heard in addition to Dr. Helderman, your interviewer joins in on the call as well, correct? Do you mind if I ask what sort of stats you had? You should be very proud. :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

Best,
crimsoncash

Mateodaspy said:

best of luck!

Very good news indeed. I didn't hear anything, therefore I am hoping my application wasn't reviewed today. I interviewed a week after you so there is still hope. (Please don't reject me Vandy!)

crimsoncash said:
Congrats Mateo!!! That's wonderful news!!! =)) Way to begin the weekend. :D I heard in addition to Dr. Helderman, your interviewer joins in on the call as well, correct? Do you mind if I ask what sort of stats you had? You should be very proud. :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

Best,
crimsoncash

sure... 37R, 3.9

crimsoncash said:

Best,
crimsoncash

and no, my interviewer wasn't on the phone with us! he and i didn't really get along anyway :rolleyes:

JDAD said:
Very good news indeed. I didn't hear anything, therefore I am hoping my application wasn't reviewed today. I interviewed a week after you so there is still hope. (Please don't reject me Vandy!)

Don't worry yet! They're taking just over 8 weeks to review apps, so you should hear back next Friday! Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply, and enjoy your free trip to Nashville! I hope to be there with you.

Congrat! I interviewed there on 11/18, and since I haven't heard from them, I'm assuming I'll probably be waitlisted or rejected. That said, I just got good news from Baylor and Sinai today so I can't complain.

Perhaps I'll see you in Houston :thumbup:

Mateodaspy said:
and no, my interviewer wasn't on the phone with us! he and i didn't really get along anyway :rolleyes:

thanks for the help and info Mateo! Like JDAD, hopefully I'll get a chance to join you for second look weekend =)

--crimsoncash

Sweaty, don't give up yet. There is a 50/50 chance they didn't review your file yet.

Congrats on Baylor, I still haven't gotten an interview their yet.

Just so you guys know, I received an e-mail from Dr. Sagen saying that my file (and by extrapolation, those of the rest of 11/18 interviewees) is going to the ad com next friday (1/21).

Crossing my fingers, and good luck to everyone else :)

I interviewed there on 11/16- think I am in that group? Or perhaps I have been passed up?

Speedy said:
Well, I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but I was rejected post-interview from Vandy (interviewed in Septmeber, rejection letter in December). Don't worry though..... this was not unexpected (I posted about my experience in the interview feedback section). I think so long as you didn't have an interview like mine, you'll be accepted or waitlisted.

link??? and sorry about the rejection

Has anyone heard from Vandy who interviewed after 11/15? I am so sad. I have heard nothing since the interview and LOVED it there. I hope this does not become a recurring theme!

I interviewed on the 23rd of Nov and I haven't heard anything.

I called Dawn yesterday and she expected my file to be reviewed next week or even the week after (feb. 4th)

Fingers are crossed.

Sweaty, did you hear anything from them?

jdad/kbg:

I did get the call today. (I interviewed 11/18. Vandy was my first interview, and although it was very laid back, I didn't feel like I did particularly well. Just go to show you that you have to keep the faith!)

Anyway, If you want to plan that far in advance, the second look weekend will be 4/1-4/3. :D

Crossing my fingers for both of you.

edit: you need to start more good luck threads. Ever since you stopped starting them, i haven't gotten a SINGLE interview.

sweatybrain said:
jdad/kbg:

I did get the call today. (I interviewed 11/18. Vandy was my first interview, and although it was very laid back, I didn't feel like I did particularly well. Just go to show you that you have to keep the faith!)

Anyway, If you want to plan that far in advance, the second look weekend will be 4/1-4/3. :D

Crossing my fingers for both of you.

edit: you need to start more good luck threads. Ever since you stopped starting them, i haven't gotten a SINGLE interview.

Great news man. I am still waiting. I really hope I wasn't reviewed today because I didn't hear anything. I interviewed on the 23rd (only five days after you). I am hoping they do it by week and that would put me in the group to be reviewed next Friday.

I haven't had an interview invitation since early December, so I know how it feels. I tried to start a good luck thread a while back, but people are too jaded and bitter to contribute.

Anyway, it's worth a shot next week. Congrats again on getting into Vandy, I really liked it when I was there.

Take care man.

-JD

I still haven't heard back after interviewing on 11/15. :scared: I guess that must be bad news if they've gotten to 11/18. Sigh. I'll call and find out Monday I suppose.

Good luck to everyone in this insanely stressful waiting game! :luck: :luck: :luck:

damn! but thanks for the info. sweatybrain- and congrats!

Is anyone expecting/hoping to hear from Vandy tomorrow? If so when did you interview?

Has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt that interviewed after Nov 18th?

Do they make the phone calls on thursdays or fridays?

Its gonna be ages before I hear from them (interviewed 1/6), but just wanted to know for future reference.

Btw, Good luck JDAD :luck:

Fridays

Thanks for the luck

JDAD said:
Is anyone expecting/hoping to hear from Vandy tomorrow? If so when did you interview?

Has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt that interviewed after Nov 18th?

Hopefully the phone call will be tomorrow -- if you don't get one tomorrow, my best guess would be to expect some letter to come in the mail next week regarding the waitlist.... but i'm sure you won't have to worry about that! BEST OF LUCK!! ;)

No such luck for me, I got the waitlist letter in the mail today.

Does anybody know if it's ranked? How do they decide who they want?

JDAD said:

I got the waitlist letter as well. I guess they must've not liked my application much, because they were very quick to waitlist me (interviewed on 1/6). I blame my crappy, written at the last second essays. :laugh:

JDAD said:

Sorry to hear that JDAD, but they do take a really big chunk of their class off the waitlist (I heard it was 30%+). I don't know exactly how it works, but I would guess it's weighted in tiers like other schools. Continuing to show interest through letters (and a letter of intent) might be the best way to go from here.

Good luck!

Yup, it's tiered (but not ranked) by the score they gave your application, like all the 1.5-2's together. The way I understand it, within the top tier they might pull someone who has something they want to round the class over someone with a better score.

Sorry to hear that, JDAD and premedgeek. Welcome to the club! They seem to waitlist a TON of people, but then they usually pull a lot off it, too. :luck:

Does anyone know if they will tell you what teir your in?

Can someone help me out. How does Vandy waitlist work? If it is seperated into teirs, will then tell you which teir your on?

JDAD-

I got the letter in the mail yesterday, too. My understanding is that come May (when a good chunk of their spots open up) they will offer places from the wait list. THEN, if we are still waitlisted they will tell us more about where we stand on the waitlist.

Probably I am not too much of a help, but I do feel your pain. I loved Vandy, and I am concerned that since they put me on the waitlist, many of the other similar schools that I interviewed at will, too.

such a bummer!

Got the phone call today!! Sweaty, Mateo, hope to see you two there :)

JDAD, premedgeek, Wiggy, kbg12--hang in there! I also heard that many matriculants are taken off the waitlist. I've got my fingers crossed for ya :luck:

Haybryant, Canuck, did you hear back yet? :luck: :luck:

Best,
Crimsoncash

kbg12 said:
THEN, if we are still waitlisted they will tell us more about where we stand on the waitlist.

They don't rank their waitlist, so they won't tell you where you stand. Your best shot is keeping them updated and then to be very persistent around the middle of May, telling them that you will go there if accepted and why you are such a perfect match for them.