Vanderbilt Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shoeclothes, Nov 10, 2002.

1. shoeclothes

shoeclothes Member
    7+ Year Member

Is there anything unique about Vandy?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

its the best med school in nashville. hands down.

4. LOL. True, it is.

I wasn't too impressed...but it's hard to be impressed after Emory IMO.

Hot undergrads (women at least) ;)

5. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Hm, I preferred Vanderbilt over Emory. Mostly just "the feeling I got about the place", but Grady Memorial seemed like it could make your life hell, I preferred Nashville over Atlanta, and I was excited for the new Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt....

Yes, Emory's undergraduates were cute...but who wants to rob the cradle like that? :rolleyes:

6. Awww...c'mon xaelia, ya gotta laugh about the undergrads ;) Don't take anything I say too seriously...scratch "too."

It really does boil down to how you feel about the place. I loved Grady, and that's one of the biggest reasons I like Emory so much. Also, xaelia brings up a good point about the cities: the city does, in fact, matter. Even prosaic things like parking/traffic and population density can result in very annoying and stressful factors.

So, is it even useful at all to ask peoples' opinions about places? I dunno...I dunno much actually.

Originally, shoeclothes, you asked what made Vandy unique...so I'm going to give you some of what I thought were it's good points:
    -Awesome research opps. ( are requirement even )
    -Awesome name/rep
    -Approachable faculty
    -Good cafe ;)

Putting the "fool" in tomfoolery,
    Neil

7. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It has a ton of electives (including Emergency medicine/outpatient practice experiences) available to first and second year students... there is a required "intro to biomedical research" class that often develops into long-term major research, if you like that sort of thing. It consistently ranks among the top schools in AAMC exits surveys for student satisfaction. Traditional preclinical curriculum. People there were disarmingly (word?) nice. Very nice library. Connected to the undergrad campus. Nearby housing for pretty cheap compared to the big east coast cities. And finally, tell them at your interview that batman123 really wants to go there :D