Vanderbilt Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centig

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about medical schools who have application processes similar to Vanderbilt.

There is no secondary unless you are asked to interview and that choice is mainly based solely on your AMCAS. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make myself a better candidate on top of what is in my primary?

I feel that my MCAT is good with a lower score in BS but pretty high in VR and PS however I'm afraid the low BS score might cause a problem.

I have issues with this type of process because they don't get anything but the generic application that is sent to all schools. Would it be unreasonable to send a letter of interest because Vandy is my #1 choice and I want to make sure that I at least get to the Secondary.

Any help would be much appreciated..Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

i would kinda doubt there's anything you could do, but who knows? what's the worst they could do? come kill your family?

they know plenty about you, though. i don't understand what you're getting at when you say, "I have issues with this type of process because they don't get anything but the generic application that is sent to all schools." most schools' secondary apps only have you re-hash your AMCAS (hell, there's practically room for your life's story on the AMCAS app, anyway), and many don't have any kind of essays or explain-a-lower-BS-MCAT-score type sections at all, so when you really think about it, vandy's process is only different than most schools because it saves students money on secondary fees. i commend them for that. :thumbup:

Yes the saving money part is nice but I guess I want to be able to write one of the "Why do you want to go to Vandy?" essays. I desperately want to go here. I'll just have to wait and see then. Maybe next year if not this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by centig
Yes the saving money part is nice but I guess I want to be able to write one of the "Why do you want to go to Vandy?" essays. I desperately want to go here. I'll just have to wait and see then. Maybe next year if not this year.
you should just have confidence in your application. i don't think vandy would disqualify you just because one of your MCAT sections (not verbal, either :thumbup: ) is lower than the others (esp. if your other sections were "pretty high," as you put it).

much luck to ya :luck:

superdevil said:
you should just have confidence in your application. i don't think vandy would disqualify you just because one of your MCAT sections (not verbal, either :thumbup: ) is lower than the others (esp. if your other sections were "pretty high," as you put it).

much luck to ya :luck:
Superdevil...thanks for the help and the encouragement.

when will interview offers come out for vandy?

For past two years, I think the average mcat scores have been 11.2 and 10.8 among the 3 sections. If u're at least a 30, I think you have a decent shot. unlike some other schools, vandy screens who it gives secondaries to. those who get secondaries also get interviews, if i'm not mistaken. vandy's really been pushing diversity and research lately so if u can contribute to one of those or both, then u've got a good start. average gpa is around 3.75+. I think u begin finding out about interviews in august.

Do secondary/invites come through snail mail or email?

IMO most of the secondaries are completely unnecessary (Except to serve as a deterrent), the exception being the few schools that require multiple essays.

DrThom said:
Do secondary/invites come through snail mail or email?

it came through email (when I applied last year). If you are accepted, you are going to love their second look/recruitment - prepare to be spoiled. :cool:

hmmm. my secondary/interview invite came by snail mail last year. i was an august mcat guy and i think it came within a couple weeks of my scores being released.

guess we're still holding our breaths then...

For those interested, I received the Vanderbilt Interview/Secondary Invite on 7/30/2004 via snailmail. I am not a Tenessee resident, and my stats are 34Q/3.96.

Creatine said:
For those interested, I received the Vanderbilt Interview/Secondary Invite on 7/30/2004 via snailmail. I am not a Tenessee resident, and my stats are 34Q/3.96.

hmm, i'm starting to worry now (i know, i know...neurotic!). i think it's a good thing i'll be out of town this weekend and in boston 4 days next week. i need a break from these forums.

ok, i'm definitely worried now, if it's already reached washington...

must leave SDN
must leave SDN

cannot leave SDN!!!!!!!

Creatine ...when were you verified?

kush4444 said:
Creatine ...when were you verified?

I was verified in early June, which may be why I received the secondary so early. However, there are other secondaries that I have not received (UPitt, UWisconsin), even though many on SDN have received them. Therefore, I question how important verification date is in predicting the time when one receives their secondary. It sure would be nice to know what goes on within those admissions committees...