Vanderbilt Vs. Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Einsteinemc2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in at both, and Baylor is definitely cheaper. But Vanderbilt seems to have a better match list and a little more prestige. It also isn't divorcing Methodist and going to an inferior hospital for their private hospital training. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a little upheaval with the Methodist split, but I really don't think it will affect your experience as a Baylor med student much as it would for Baylor residents.

Residency directors might think differently about your prestige point, as BCM students are as highly regarded if not moreso than Vanderbilt's. And don't forget Baylor has one of the highest board score averages in the nation. Plus, Texas has it all over Tennessee ;)

Vandy is a great school no doubt, but Baylor still wins. potato51 is right, if it's cheaper, has better location and better scores, the choice seems pretty clear. Not sure what you're smoking, but I'd pick Baylor any day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptances. You have a nice choice to make. I think the prestige levels of the schools are very similar. You will find just as many people who think Baylor is the better school of the two as the reverse. I think it comes down to which school left a better impression on you, where you think you'd fit in better and other circumstances such as location and financial aid.

But as an applicant to Vanderbilt who is waiting to hear back from them, I highly recommend that you choose Baylor. ;) j/k

It sounds like you are already leaning towards Vandy. If that is your gut instinct, just go with it. Don't second guess yourself based on this forum.

If you believe in this stuff, then here you go:

Vanderbilt
Peer Assessment Score: 4.1
Residency Director Assessment Score: 4.0

Baylor
Peer Assessment Score: 3.9
Residency Director Assessment Score: 3.9

Source: 2006 US News & World Reports

As for Houston vs. Nashville? Well that's easy for me.

Congrats on your acceptances and best of luck.

r

Einsteinemc2 said:
I'm in at both, and Baylor is definitely cheaper. But Vanderbilt seems to have a better match list and a little more prestige. It also isn't divorcing Methodist and going to an inferior hospital for their private hospital training. thoughts?

In my current ignorance of the schools, I would choose Baylor over Vandy due to the warmer location and lower price. However, I have heard Vandy's facilities are very very nice, which adds to its appeal. Tough decision!

Einsteinemc2 said:

Personally I'd go to Baylor. It's just as prestigious if not more so, and it's waaayyy cheaper.

LaDoctorFutura said:
I agree. Vandy!
you just want to go to Baylor, lol

I was under the impression that Baylor is ranked a bit higher than Vandy, but they are very close. Considering the curriculum, price, students, average board scores, access to better facilities, location, and post-med school opportunities, I'd go with Baylor (but I guess you already knew that). Good luck, and congrats on your acceptances. Both schools are awesome choices.

shinenjk said:
Vandy is a great school no doubt, but Baylor still wins. potato51 is right, if it's cheaper, has better location and better scores, the choice seems pretty clear. Not sure what you're smoking, but I'd pick Baylor any day.
Same here. Baylor anyday. (of course I'd take either, but am not worthy to even discuss the two schools :( ) Good luck. Good situation to be in. :thumbup:

Hey Roboyce, could you please post the residency directors ranking info for UCSF and Harvard. Thanks a lot bro.

infiniti said:
Hey Roboyce, could you please post the residency directors ranking info for UCSF and Harvard. Thanks a lot bro.
In 2005 at least, Harvard's was a 4.8, and UCSF had a 4.7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man!

potato51 said:
In 2005 at least, Harvard's was a 4.8, and UCSF had a 4.7.
Do you know what University of Chicago's was?

Go to Baylor...Houston>>>>Nashville

Vanderbilt has been known to give great financial aid packages so I wouldn't necessarily agree that its more expensive. They also offer all expenses paid 2nd look visit so why not check it out again???

Those info have changed quite a bit for 2006.

I don't know too much about Vanderbilt, although I'm sure it is an awesome school. I do know some things about Baylor that might help factor in your decision:

1)The clinical affiliations (Ben Taub, Houston VA, St. Luke's, Texas Children's Hospital, Menninger Clinic, TIRR, etc.) in the world's largest medical center, Texas Medical Center, are all awesome
2)1 and a half years of basic sciences and 2 and a half years of rotations rock (apparently this helps your residency applications and helps you to do better on Step 1 USMLE)
3)Baylor students I've met all seem really smart but at the same time pretty laid back
4)BCM has that "great school" reputation amongst residency directors, which will be useful when we apply for residencies
5)Baylor students have top 5 in the country board scores, another residency boost
6)Tuition,especially for a private school, is an amazing deal
7)I think nearly 50-60 out of the 149 people that matched for residencies from Baylor in 2005 ended up staying there for residency, showing that they like to take back their own for residencies; Match lists are also impressive, with traditionally hard to get into specialties like dermatology, ENT (11 last year!), ophtho, etc. doing well
8)Cost of living in Texas is really cheap
9)Classes are mostly 8-12 PM; all lectures are recorded on video, and can be readily downloaded in real media format to view at your leisure
10)community service options as med students are also really good
11)Multiple track s you can take within the curriculum: Research, Ethics, International Health, Geriatrics, Care for the Underserved
12)Dr. Michael DeBakey, world famous heart surgeon, has earned his name while being at Baylor and in the process put Baylor on the map

hobbesiscool said:
I don't know too much about Vanderbilt, although I'm sure it is an awesome school. I do know some things about Baylor that might help factor in your decision:

1)The clinical affiliations (Ben Taub, Houston VA, St. Luke's, Texas Children's Hospital, Menninger Clinic, TIRR, etc.) in the world's largest medical center, Texas Medical Center, are all awesome
2)1 and a half years of basic sciences and 2 and a half years of rotations rock (apparently this helps your residency applications and helps you to do better on Step 1 USMLE)
3)Baylor students I've met all seem really smart but at the same time pretty laid back
4)BCM has that "great school" reputation amongst residency directors, which will be useful when we apply for residencies
5)Baylor students have top 5 in the country board scores, another residency boost
7)I think nearly 50-60 out of the 149 people that matched for residencies from Baylor in 2005 ended up staying there for residency, showing that they like to take back their own for residencies; Match lists are also impressive, with traditionally hard to get into specialties like dermatology, ENT (11 last year!), ophtho, etc. doing well
9)Classes are mostly 8-12 PM; all lectures are recorded on video, and can be readily downloaded in real media format to view at your leisure
11)Multiple track s you can take within the curriculum: Research, Ethics, International Health, Geriatrics, Care for the Underserved
12)Dr. Michael DeBakey, world famous heart surgeon, has earned his name while being at Baylor and in the process put Baylor on the map

Yes yes all of that and they are building a new research tower that will allow for the development of new programs:

Margaret M. Alkek Building for Biomedical Research
Photo taken Dec. 27, 2005
Web Cam: Research Tower Construction
Where: Baylor College of Medicine South Campus

Construction Start: Groundbreaking on Sept. 15, 2005

Facility Use: Research and Office Space

Total Square Footage: 170,000

Completion Date: End of 2006

With a foundation already in place, the research tower can be constructed quickly--by the end of 2006--to provide 100,000 square feet of laboratory research space. See artist's rendering.

The building's eight stories will include flexible laboratory and office space for major new interdisciplinary program initiatives identified in the College's Strategic Plan, including:

Cardiovascular sciences
Diabetes and metabolic disease
Cancer
Pharmacogenomics
Imaging
Informatics and proteomics
These research programs were chosen with collaboration and optimal interactions in mind.

The new research tower also will have an impact in two equally critical areas: the College's ability to retain leading researchers and recruit new ones and the need to invest in technology applicable to biomedical research.

As space in each of the new research buildings becomes occupied, laboratory space in the main Baylor buildings will become available and can accommodate growth of current faculty members' research programs and development of new programs targeted for these spaces - including mental health and neurosciences, one of the major initiatives in the Strategic Plan.

hobbesiscool said:

Most of those are true for Vanderbilt as well. Med students are very laid back and great (I am 4th year there, I should know). Cost of living is cheap. The match list every year is very impressive. My tuition after a need-based scholarship was about $12,000/year (on the average). Classes are 8-12 most of the times (there are labs on some days). Lots of community service oppportunities. Certainly a "great reputation" and I got all residency interviews I wanted. Top board scores as well. I really think you need to visit both schools again, compare final costs and then make a decision. Its very comparable schools.

zook said:
This is great. Does anyone have the primary care set? Sorry, I'm really cheap :p
Yes, it's the same link. On the spreadsheet, just click on the 'Primary Care' tab at the bottom.