Vanderbilt vs. CCLCM (Case)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Better Med School for going into Gen Surg?

• Vanderbilt

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • CCLCM

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Doesn't Matter!

Votes: 10 13.3%

• Total voters

Doko

holla atcha boy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to post one of these threads (since they go up all the time), but I'm really curious as to what my fellow SDNers think about these two schools.

I would really like to go into surgery, and regardless of what people say, most residency directors I've talked to have strongly emphasized the importance of the name of the school, especially in a competitive specialty such as gen surg.

I'm definitely interested in research and CCLCM seems great for me, but I'm wondering whether I'll be viewed better if I went to Vanderbilt, since Vandy seems to have a better reputation than Case.

My thanks for your comments ahead of time! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I work at Vanderbilt Childrens' Hospital with a peds neurosurgeon three days a week. The other two days a week I work there as an interpreter. So I have a good deal of experience with the Vandy surgery programs.

It rocks here. I don't know a whole lot about Case, but I will say that the surgery department at Vandy med center is very, very good. If you spend some time working/researching in the surgery departments, I would think you'd be looked at very favorably by residency directors.

CQ

take a quick peek at the US news rankings for surgical specialties. Those are the people you will be teaching you and doing research with you at the Cleveland Clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both great schools and you can get an excellent residencies from either one. If you want a career in research, go to CCLCM. If not, go to Vandy. Every surgery residency requires 1-2 years of research so you'll have the opportunity for it later. It's not worth wasting an extra year at CCLCM if research isn't your calling.

exmike said:
take a quick peek at the US news rankings for surgical specialties. Those are the people you will be teaching you and doing research with you at the Cleveland Clinic.

Can you post these by any chance? It hink you need a subscription to see them on the website . . .

bee3 said:
They are both great schools and you can get an excellent residencies from either one. If you want a career in research, go to CCLCM. If not, go to Vandy. Every surgery residency requires 1-2 years of research so you'll have the opportunity for it later. It's not worth wasting an extra year at CCLCM if research isn't your calling.

A lotof medical students do a year of research. I certainly hope they're not 'wasting' their time. You are not destined to a 'career of research' if you go to the clinic program. Research can help you secure a top residency slot at a top academic medical center (incidentally this why many students take a year off doing research anyway at programs such as HHMI). That is one of the benefits of the lerner program. (and you get a stipend i believe)

US News hospital rankings

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/honorroll.htm

People are going to go with US News rankings, whether you like it or not.

CC could give you the best education in the world, but if USNews doesn't give the stamp of approval, the majority of the people on this board will tell you to go to Vandy.

happydays said:
People are going to go with US News rankings, whether you like it or not.

CC could give you the best education in the world, but if USNews doesn't give the stamp of approval, the majority of the people on this board will tell you to go to Vandy.

That's not necessarily true. Mayo's ranked #23, and most people on this board would still cut off their arm to go there (I know I would)... Also Case (which CCLM is connected with) is ranked about the same as Vandy...

mashce said:
That's not necessarily true. Mayo's ranked #23, and most people on this board would still cut off their arm to go there (I know I would)... Also Case (which CCLM is connected with) is ranked about the same as Vandy...
But look at the votes. It's 62+% Vandy right now.

Mayo is the exception that proves the rule.

Thanks for your help, you guys! I really appreciate it!

You see, my dream is to become a pediatric surgeon and I'm told that to become one, you need :

4 yrs med school + 5 yrs gen surg residency + 2 yrs research (mandatory) + 2 yrs peds surg fellowship = 13 years of training post-college.

I'm told that you HAVE TO have 2 years of peds surg research, so I'm thinking why waste a year at CCLCM doing a year of research if I need to do it again after residency?!

I'm not sure if CCLCM is considered a "better" program than Case, since they are both linked to the same school, but I wouldn't think CCLCM is necessarily superior... any thoughts?

ive heard that though alot of people think that the cleveland clinic name makes it "seem" superior than case, espeicially since outside of the midwest case is still relatively unknown to the general person. however, in the medical community case is extremely well respected so thats not really a problem. now as far as comparing the college and university programs, ive actually heard some concern from residency people (my uncle is an attending at a big nyc teaching hospital who works with residents) who think that the cclcm may be too inovative. i guess he says that at least in someof the big cities the residents they typically like the best, though maybe not hardasses, have faced at least a little competition in med school as far as grades, and that the cclcm gradeless portfolio system might be a slight deterrant..

Doko said:
Thanks for your help, you guys! I really appreciate it!

You see, my dream is to become a pediatric surgeon and I'm told that to become one, you need :

4 yrs med school + 5 yrs gen surg residency + 2 yrs research (mandatory) + 2 yrs peds surg fellowship = 13 years of training post-college.

I'm told that you HAVE TO have 2 years of peds surg research, so I'm thinking why waste a year at CCLCM doing a year of research if I need to do it again after residency?!

I'm not sure if CCLCM is considered a "better" program than Case, since they are both linked to the same school, but I wouldn't think CCLCM is necessarily superior... any thoughts?

I think far more important than the Vandy vs. CCLCM or Case vs. CCLCM arguments is that YOU stand out and do well in med school, so you better choose the program and location that is best for YOU personally. The schools are so similar reputation-wise IMO that it really makes no difference to res directors where you go...unless, say one of the schools is doing groundbreaking research in your field of interest, or there is one and only ONE specific surgeon at X school you want to work with...and I think these are all highly-unlikely scenarios.

Oh, and to actually answer your later questions :p , I agree that the extra year of research at CCLCM can be a pain and that CCLCM is NOT superior to Case (at least, not yet).

Considering that Case is the degree granting institution for both programs, I dont see how one can be superior to the other, especially when both programs rotate through the same hospitals! They are two systems of learning, you choose which one works best for you.

As for the OP, I would consider the advantage of one of the best children's hospitals in the US (rainbow babies) coupled with the surgical opportunities at University Hospitals and Cleveland Clinic. I think you could make an argument that the resources available to you between the two fit your goal perfectly.

bsteves4 said:
ive heard that though alot of people think that the cleveland clinic name makes it "seem" superior than case, espeicially since outside of the midwest case is still relatively unknown to the general person. however, in the medical community case is extremely well respected so thats not really a problem. now as far as comparing the college and university programs, ive actually heard some concern from residency people (my uncle is an attending at a big nyc teaching hospital who works with residents) who think that the cclcm may be too inovative. i guess he says that at least in someof the big cities the residents they typically like the best, though maybe not hardasses, have faced at least a little competition in med school as far as grades, and that the cclcm gradeless portfolio system might be a slight deterrant..

What about stanford and yale that are also gradeless? Do attendings question their readiness for residency?

Damn Mike, don't you ever study for tests?