Vanderbilt vs Wash U (St Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Spring

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for 2011-2012. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Wash U is definitely a better academic institution, what makes you consider Vandy?

"Better academic institution" is a little vague. Although many would choose WashU, I'd probably go with Vandy. Students seem much happier (and less competitive), Nashville (at least from my visits) seems more interesting than St. Louis, and the weather is much nicer.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Better academic institution" is a little vague. Although many would choose WashU, I'd probably go with Vandy. Students seem much happier (and less competitive), Nashville (at least from my visits) seems more interesting than St. Louis, and the weather is much nicer.

Far superior academic reputation in medicine.

serious question: does top 5 really make a difference over top 20? ie, would schools like washu open more doors than chicago or sinai? I am in a similar predicament, though with different institutions.

serious question: does top 5 really make a difference over top 20? ie, would schools like washu open more doors than chicago or sinai? I am in a similar predicament, though with different institutions.

Yes, huge difference.

I would think a lot about what you want to get out of medical school, and where you want to be for residency (and the rest of your career). I am trying to decide between Vanderbilt and Hopkins. Hopkins obviously is the better ranked school, but both have great match lists in Pediatrics, which is what I want to specialize in. Vanderbilt has a lot of specific interdisciplinary research going on in the areas I'm interested in, and its students seem very happy.

I also interviewed at WashU, and really didn't like the feel of the school. They seemed to shun anyone who is not committed to a career in research. However, if you really want that career, WashU might be the better pick - their facilities are amazing. (Although, Vandy's hospitals and teaching facilities are pretty great too).

Having visited both Nashville and St. Louis a number of times, I think you can find fun things to do in both cities! People are friendly and the food is good in both! Plus, both have a relatively low cost of living.

Did you particularly click with the people you met at one school? Are you going to both Second Looks? Is money a factor -- any scholarships? If I remember correctly, WashU gives out fantastic financial packages.

just with a little bias, my friend is waiting to hear back post-interview from Vandy and I'm hoping she gets in here too so we'll be in the same class.....so go with WashU:D

Last edited:
......but seriously. I also interviewed at WashU. AmAZing facilities! I loved the way the buildings were built into each other. But if I had the choice, I'd still pick Vandy. I am not a big fan of Missouri and didn't really feel like I fit in. Plus only 5 weeks to take STep1, intense!

......but seriously. I also interviewed at WashU. AmAZing facilities! I loved the way the buildings were built into each other. But if I had the choice, I'd still pick Vandy. I am not a big fan of Missouri and didn't really feel like I fit in. Plus only 5 weeks to take STep1, intense!

Trust me, 5 weeks is plenty.

drizzt3117, from what personal experience(s) do you say that reputation matters or that washU is a far superior institution ?? Honestly, if you look at VU's match list, you should realize that you can go wherever you want. Maybe there are more labs and PIs to work for at WashU but this is a MD thread so why are you not applying MDPhD or PhD if thats so important to you?
I think the people and the location/environment should matter a lot more than a mere numerical ranking. Btw, if people actually look up surveys and such that look at what matters to directors for residency, where you went is almost at the bottom of the list. Which makes sense, why should you be ranked negatively if you wanted to stay somewhere close to home or another personal reason.
When I visited Vanderbilt, I was really impressed by the efforts the school put to make sure their students are well mentally and physically. I cannot say the same for many of the other top 20 schools. I decided to not interview at WashU but I hear it's more competitive there. Why would people want that?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should go where you feel you'll be happiest. Both schools are in the top 20 so your options will be fantastic coming out of either institution.

Alternatively, if you have similar feelings about both places, choose the school that will leave you with less debt.

You should go where you feel you'll be happiest. Both schools are in the top 20 so your options will be fantastic coming out of either institution.

Alternatively, if you have similar feelings about both places, choose the school that will leave you with less debt.

+1
Have you received any type of support from either school? This can be a game changer. If you haven't heard back yet, wait til then before deciding

Match lists aren't useful for premeds to interpret. Suffice it to say that wash u has far more elite residency programs and more well-reknowned facilities as well as better facilities and resources.

drizzt3117, from what personal experience(s) do you say that reputation matters or that washU is a far superior institution ?? Honestly, if you look at VU's match list, you should realize that you can go wherever you want. Maybe there are more labs and PIs to work for at WashU but this is a MD thread so why are you not applying MDPhD or PhD if thats so important to you?
I think the people and the location/environment should matter a lot more than a mere numerical ranking. Btw, if people actually look up surveys and such that look at what matters to directors for residency, where you went is almost at the bottom of the list. Which makes sense, why should you be ranked negatively if you wanted to stay somewhere close to home or another personal reason.
When I visited Vanderbilt, I was really impressed by the efforts the school put to make sure their students are well mentally and physically. I cannot say the same for many of the other top 20 schools. I decided to not interview at WashU but I hear it's more competitive there. Why would people want that?

can you say more about why match lists aren't useful for premeds to interpret?

Match lists aren't useful for premeds to interpret. Suffice it to say that wash u has far more elite residency programs and more well-reknowned facilities as well as better facilities and resources.

I found looking at match lists actually helpful in narrowing down my choices. It was good to see that there were students at a particular medical school that successfully matched into residencies that I would one day hope to match to.

I found looking at match lists actually helpful in narrowing down my choices. It was good to see that there were students at a particular medical school that successfully matched into residencies that I would one day hope to match to.

The problem is

1) You have no idea how the people at the programs ranked their list or what their preferences were.

2) You don't know what programs in specialties are actually good. They're not necessarily correlated with the reputation of the school and in many cases are very different.

3) You don't know the demographics/story of the individual applicants. For example, a student from CA who grew up there, went to undergrad there, and med school on the east coast is far more likely to match in CA than someone who was born/bred/went to med school on the east coast. You have no idea what factors make people more competitive in different geographic areas. Therefore, their match experiences may have no applicability to your own.

I would think a lot about what you want to get out of medical school, and where you want to be for residency (and the rest of your career). I am trying to decide between Vanderbilt and Hopkins. Hopkins obviously is the better ranked school, but both have great match lists in Pediatrics, which is what I want to specialize in. Vanderbilt has a lot of specific interdisciplinary research going on in the areas I'm interested in, and its students seem very happy.

I also interviewed at WashU, and really didn't like the feel of the school. They seemed to shun anyone who is not committed to a career in research. However, if you really want that career, WashU might be the better pick - their facilities are amazing. (Although, Vandy's hospitals and teaching facilities are pretty great too).

Having visited both Nashville and St. Louis a number of times, I think you can find fun things to do in both cities! People are friendly and the food is good in both! Plus, both have a relatively low cost of living.

Did you particularly click with the people you met at one school? Are you going to both Second Looks? Is money a factor -- any scholarships? If I remember correctly, WashU gives out fantastic financial packages.

I'm with Omelas on this one, as opposed to Drizzt's unconditional love for WashU's institution and renown (though the input is appreciated, as always). Going into this process, I really just wanted to find a place that I fit in, where I'd have a good support system, and where students were happy. Not to say you won't find that at WashU, but I got the same vibe as Omelas and ended up withdrawing from WashU (post-interview) and not Vandy.

I personally don't think of WashU and Vandy as too different as far as med student reputation is concerned (perhaps residency is something altogether different). Chalk that up to my not being in med school yet, but when I was at Vandy, I met people who chose it over schools like WashU (and other "highly ranked" schools, like UCSF in one case), and money was often not the deciding factor. These are personal decisions, and I don't think it's as clear-cut as considering reputation and resources (which didn't appear to be much different to me as an interviewee).

That said, I'm not utterly and completely googly-eyed over Vandy either, though I do rather like it. If I were to end up at Vandy, money would be the deciding factor in my case. I'm just chipping in to counterbalance rank mentality.

For the record, I didn't even apply to Wash U for med school and am not ranking it that high for residency (although I think it's a fantastic program). It's just a more well-regarded program, which is not to say that one shouldn't attend Vandy if they have compelling reasons to do so. Just keep in mind that Wash U grads are true national applicants for residency while there will be a strong regional bias facing Vandy grads in my experience.

I'm with Omelas on this one, as opposed to Drizzt's unconditional love for WashU's institution and renown (though the input is appreciated, as always). Going into this process, I really just wanted to find a place that I fit in, where I'd have a good support system, and where students were happy. Not to say you won't find that at WashU, but I got the same vibe as Omelas and ended up withdrawing from WashU (post-interview) and not Vandy.

I personally don't think of WashU and Vandy as too different as far as med student reputation is concerned (perhaps residency is something altogether different). Chalk that up to my not being in med school yet, but when I was at Vandy, I met people who chose it over schools like WashU (and other "highly ranked" schools, like UCSF in one case), and money was often not the deciding factor. These are personal decisions, and I don't think it's as clear-cut as considering reputation and resources (which didn't appear to be much different to me as an interviewee).

That said, I'm not utterly and completely googly-eyed over Vandy either, though I do rather like it. If I were to end up at Vandy, money would be the deciding factor in my case. I'm just chipping in to counterbalance rank mentality.

Yeah I agree that match lists don't really mean much; because the bottom line if you work hard, you will a good chance of getting the speciality you want at either school. However, I don't know why you say that there's a strong regional bias. Can you elaborate where you get that? it would be helpful for me as I will probably want to change location for residency. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.