Vanderbilt waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all is on it? It seems really long.

Members don't see this ad.

As am I.

But not for long, I am withdrawing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the list as well.

Who's going if they get off the waitlist?
I probably will.

I'm on it, too.

There are about 500 students on the list right now. :eek:

medicinehopeful said:
There are about 500 students on the list right now. :eek:

you're talkin' ****, how would u know?

medicinehopeful said:
I called and asked.
hmmmm...i'm surprised they'd reveal that type of info but if it's indeed the case, then obviously they don't have the balls to reject people straight up...in a way, i can't say i blame them...whatever

I'm on it too. Has anyone actually been rejected post-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Floseph said:
I'm on it too. Has anyone actually been rejected post-interview?
I'm on the waitlist. I have not heard of a single rejection. I get the feeling that everyone not accepted goes onto the waitlist.

I'm on it too. Considering dropping out though.

How can a school have 500 people on its waitlist and give students no idea about their relative spot on the list? Vanderbilt sucks.

PBR727 said:
How can a school have 500 people on its waitlist and give students no idea about their relative spot on the list? Vanderbilt sucks.

I read in a previous post a while back that Vandy can pick people off their waitlist just to increase the diversity of the class. Perhaps that's why their waitlist is not ranked. I agree though, they suck.

Just to give yall a feel for how many people *may* get off of the waitlist, at 2nd look this past weekend, there were 140-150 prospective students there. And clearly more than that were accepted but didn't come to the weekend. However, I did speak with a lot of people who weren't sure they were going to attend Vanderbilt and even some who knew they weren't going to go to Vanderbilt. So...what I'm trying to say is that it seems like a lot of people were accepted right off the bat in relation to the class size (which doesn't bode well for those on the wait list), but at the same time, there seemed to be many that would be withdrawing. I know this isn't that helpful, just hoping to give yall some idea.

I have been there since October!!!

They will cut the list in half next month.

MD5555 said:
I'm on the waitlist. I have not heard of a single rejection. I get the feeling that everyone not accepted goes onto the waitlist.

I have heard of one or two being rejected post interview.

margerita said:
Just to give yall a feel for how many people *may* get off of the waitlist, at 2nd look this past weekend, there were 140-150 prospective students there. And clearly more than that were accepted but didn't come to the weekend. However, I did speak with a lot of people who weren't sure they were going to attend Vanderbilt and even some who knew they weren't going to go to Vanderbilt. So...what I'm trying to say is that it seems like a lot of people were accepted right off the bat in relation to the class size (which doesn't bode well for those on the wait list), but at the same time, there seemed to be many that would be withdrawing. I know this isn't that helpful, just hoping to give yall some idea.
From my conversationswith Dean Helderman and other people with "ins" on the adcom, I got the impression that they actually don't accept that many off the bat. So why was there such a great turnout at second look?
1) It's free.
2) It's so early in the second look season that people had to book their (nonrefundable) plane tickets before the nonrollers sent out acceptances.
3) Did I mention it's free? :p

I'm pretty sure I've posted this info before, but it was a long time ago and in another thread so here goes... The waitlist is not ranked, exactly, but it is tiered. The adcom scores your app on a 5 point scale. 1-1.5 gets admitted right away, lower than, like, 4 gets rejected, and the majority gets stuck on the waitlist. The top tier is the 1.5-2 people, but within that there's a top sliver of 1.5-1.6ers. Within the tier they look for things that will balance out the class. Whether you're 1.65 or 1.95 doesn't matter; if they want a male Minnesotan ukelele-playing Tiddlywinks star and that's you, congratulations!

According to Dean H, around 30 waitlisters is reasonably typical, but of course that varies year to year. If you cross off 15ish MDPhDs and half a dozen Vandy soph. year admissions folks, waitlisters come pretty close to making up half of the class! I bet there will be even more movement this year because people are applying to more schools. That means if you're in the top tier, you have a pretty good chance!

41 days to May 16. :luck:

Wiggy73 said:
From my conversationswith Dean Helderman and other people with "ins" on the adcom, I got the impression that they actually don't accept that many off the bat. So why was there such a great turnout at second look?
1) It's free.
2) It's so early in the second look season that people had to book their (nonrefundable) plane tickets before the nonrollers sent out acceptances.
3) Did I mention it's free? :p

I'm pretty sure I've posted this info before, but it was a long time ago and in another thread so here goes... The waitlist is not ranked, exactly, but it is tiered. The adcom scores your app on a 5 point scale. 1-1.5 gets admitted right away, lower than, like, 4 gets rejected, and the majority gets stuck on the waitlist. The top tier is the 1.5-2 people, but within that there's a top sliver of 1.5-1.6ers. Within the tier they look for things that will balance out the class. Whether you're 1.65 or 1.95 doesn't matter; if they want a male Minnesotan ukelele-playing Tiddlywinks star and that's you, congratulations!

According to Dean H, around 30 waitlisters is reasonably typical, but of course that varies year to year. If you cross off 15ish MDPhDs and half a dozen Vandy soph. year admissions folks, waitlisters come pretty close to making up half of the class! I bet there will be even more movement this year because people are applying to more schools. That means if you're in the top tier, you have a pretty good chance!

41 days to May 16. :luck:

Are they willing to tell us what tier we are in? By the way, Wiggy, I am in the same boat as you.

Wiggy73 said:
Within the tier they look for things that will balance out the class. Whether you're 1.65 or 1.95 doesn't matter; if they want a male Minnesotan ukelele-playing Tiddlywinks star and that's you, congratulations!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have any of you written any letters to Vandy yet?

I don't know how many people are on the list, but I did hear that they accepted far too many people and don't expect the waitlist to move much if and all. Bummer.

Last year they had hardly any movement off the waitlist...I was told about 2 people got off. And yes there were about 600 people waitlisted last year. Lets hope that things are different this year...