Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochubert

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding Vanderbilt's IM program. I have a 214/87 on Step I and will be taking Step II in a few months. Has anyone heard of someone getting an interview/matching at VU with such a score ragrdless of how they did on Step II?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

214 seems pretty low for vandy.

I got an interview with a 218. I skipped the interview, probably would not have matched. You can't change your step I now, no harm in applying. Go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's it like living near Vandy? Do they have cheap accommodation options for residents?

I'm not familiar with Vandy's med school, but a couple of my friends went to undergrad there and a good friend of mine lives in Nashville. Overall, the city is very affordable.

i'm a med student at vandy. lemme know if u have any questions. from what i know there's no vanderbilt-sponsored housing options for residents that's cheaper than other places. the closet thing to the hospital is the village at vanderbilt (across the street)...rent is usually like $800 for a single and like $1300 for a 2bdroom. it'll take less time to walk from village of vanderbilt to the hospital than to walk from the regular parking lot for students to the hospitals (bout a 2-3 minute walk). For places close to campus, most are near fairfax and 21st....bout a 15 minute walk....rent for a 1bd around $600. there's a supermarket (harris teeter) that's a little over a mile form vandy.

If you're not comfortable with your Step 1 score, try doing better in Step 2 by taking it early.

From what I remembered (I'm also from Vandy med school).. a few years ago, the program director (who just stepped down last year) said during an internal medicine interest group meeting, they didn't seem to put too much weigh on Step 1 scores. That was mainly because some schools just do better on the test, and others don't. The scores didn't seem to determine how well the residents do in their program. I don't know if it was just to comfort the applying med students... but may be it is true.

Hopefully your letters/rotation grades/other credentials will help you get that interview, and then you and Vandy will find out whether you're a good match for each other.

Hey Yogi, qucik question for you....

I'm a third (soon to be fourth) year and will be doing an emergency med rotation at Vandy this January and need a place to live for a month. Is the Village at Vanderbilt you spoke of availabe to med students? If not, where else would you recommend I look (the cheaper, the better :)

Thanks!

Hi, I graduated from Vandy too, and actually I lived at the Village at Vanderbilt for about 3 years during med school. There are no short term leases available that I remember, but I do know that oftentimes med students away for the summer are happy to rent out a room in their place for a month or two for extra cash. There are several housing options that are quite close to the med school. As far as finding a place, I know the Vanderbilt newspaper has listings for housing. Also, I remember getting emails from students like you looking for housing for the summer. Perhaps one of the people in the student affairs office could forward your email to the school...

What attracted you to Vanderbilt? I'm thinking of applying there.

There were a lot of things. First off, I just got a good "vibe" from the place. The people (including the faculty and administrators at Vandy) are very friendly and warm, and are very supportive towards getting you where you want to go after med school. The med school class was small (104), so most of the key faculty knew you by first name. Then, there was the warm (er) weather (I went to undergrad in upstate NY) yet it was still in the east so I could get home to see my family a lot. The rent was cheap as well. Nashville is a very "med school friendly" place to be; there was enough to do when you weren't cramming or on a rotation, yet there wasn't so much going on that you felt that you were missing stuff if you had to stay in to study. I might also add that I couples matched into residency, and so did several of my classmates. I feel that the administration at Vandy were instrumental in facilitating this. Hope this helps.

MS05' said:
Hey Yogi, qucik question for you....

I'm a third (soon to be fourth) year and will be doing an emergency med rotation at Vandy this January and need a place to live for a month. Is the Village at Vanderbilt you spoke of availabe to med students? If not, where else would you recommend I look (the cheaper, the better :)

Thanks!

i'm not too familiar w/ housing at the village. it's definitely avail to med students...just not sure if a 1mo lease would work out. i'd suggest calling the med school admissions office and asking about short term housing since they have a big list for the incoming med students here.