Vanderbilt's Waitlist or Waitlists in General

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quentintarrantino

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been on Vanderbilt's waitlist for a while now and I am wondering what I could do to help my situation (I really want to attend Vanderbilt) I have a couple of questions

1) What could I do to improve my chances of being accepted off the waitlist?

2) I have an acceptance to another medical school, I do NOT want to attend that school, BUT since so few people are accepted to medical school I am reluctant to turn them down just yet, Will Vanderbilt be able to know if I am holding this acceptance and will holding that acceptance affect my ability to get off the waitlist there?

Thank you ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

At Vanderbilt, wait listed candidates may call in May and June. To remain on the wait list, send a letter of intent, that you are interested in remaining on the wait list. Most movement off the wait list is in May and might continue until July.

Useful new information to send are updated transcripts and honorary/leadership type of info.

If you are holding an acceptance do not give it up until you are accepted into a school you prefer. Better something than nothing.
Turning down an acceptance and reapplying next year is a risky proposition. You have no guarantee that a preferred school will accept you and the one that accepted you last year will accept you again; you run the risk of ending up with nothing. Take what you can get and run with it. If you graduate from medical school, any accredited med school, you will be an MD.

There is usually no communication among med schools about who is holding where. However, later in the cycle, probably June/July, AMCAS sends lists of students holding multiple acceptances to each medical school. Then, schools will give you a short time frame in which to say yes or no. If your answer is yes, you accept one of the schools, you are expected to withdraw from all the others. If you don't, you run the risk of losing them all.