Vandy courses help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying... Are you trying to use AP credit for chem? Because you cant. Period. Will not be accepted. You may be able to substitute another chemistry class you have taken to fill that requirement, however, such as physical chem or biochem. You need to call the admissions office to find out for sure.

RunMimi said:
I took AP chem in hs, so my school gave me full credit for the year-long gen. chem course and placed me in orgo. I took 2 semesters of orgo and later took a semester of biochem also. Are you saying they might make me take p-chem just to fulfill the gen. chem requirement? Doesn't that seem ridiculous--I mean I know the gen chem material?!? I suppose I just need to call Vanderbilt. Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Is anyone else in the same position?

Ouch - did no one tell you this before? Most medical schools do not accept AP credit of any kind - not for biology, chemistry, math, etc. Sorry, you may just be screwed. :(

From the Vanderbilt website:

Advanced placement credits are not acceptable in lieu of science requirements. Advanced science courses, however, may be substituted for the traditional requirements. Advanced placement credits are not acceptable for the six hours of required English, however, writing courses may be substituted for this requirement. Pass/Fail credits are not acceptable for required courses

See it here: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/admissions/applicants.php