Vandy MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CU_buffalo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I received an invite to interview for a spot in Vandy's MSTP. The curious thing though is that I never completed the MSTP app. I don't think I even sent in letters of rec to the school. I received some early rejections from some MSTP programs, so I decided that I probably wouldn't get into Vanderbilt's MSTP and never finished the application. Anyway, I've decided to go, but I'm not sure what to expect. Should I bring in copies of letters/publications when I interview? What type of interview is it? Will they ask me "scientific questions" from my undergraduate curriculum?

Given that it's quite late, I'm thinking I'm most likely interviewing for a waitlist spot, but hopefully not. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I'm speechless.

The obvious thing would be to call them and clear it up, but that may mean you lose your interview offer. Than again, do you really have a chance if they don't have your full application? Dunno.

Either way, it makes a great story :D
If you do go, definitely take everything with you, including the completed application. Or even beter rush it to them beforehand.
Good luck, but be aware that it may be for nothing.

um, i HIGHLY suggest going. i think vandy had a really crappy applicant pool this year or something ( i was in it), and they are desperate to interview better candidates or something?? geez, all i know is that if your getting interviewed based on your regular med app prob means they want you and that you should go....and the fact that you have pubs already puts you way ahead the rest of us mstp applicants!! good job, and good luck!

Originally posted by CU_buffalo
Hey all,

I received an invite to interview for a spot in Vandy's MSTP. The curious thing though is that I never completed the MSTP app. I don't think I even sent in letters of rec to the school. I received some early rejections from some MSTP programs, so I decided that I probably wouldn't get into Vanderbilt's MSTP and never finished the application. Anyway, I've decided to go, but I'm not sure what to expect. Should I bring in copies of letters/publications when I interview? What type of interview is it? Will they ask me "scientific questions" from my undergraduate curriculum?

Given that it's quite late, I'm thinking I'm most likely interviewing for a waitlist spot, but hopefully not. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Go to the interview! This is how Vandy works, not just a reflection of this year's bad applicant pool or something. I interviewed there a long time ago (I'm a second year MSTP, though not at Vandy). They don't need to look at your MSTP application until your interview, and in fact many cases they DON'T look at it until your interview. That's why you got invited to interview without the app; it's up to you whether you want MSTP or just MD interview.

Incidentally, I liked Vandy a lot. Not sure their research is up to par with other top names, but their program is well-organized.

Listen to the people who know what they're talking about - GO! :D
Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have my interview scheduled for next Monday. I plan on bringing everything that I think will help and see how it goes. This will be my first MSTP interview. Can some of you tell me what to expect? I plan on doing a PhD in BME. Should I choose all BME faculty for the interviews or vary it a little. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks in a few months.