vandy/stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farikanok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts about these two school? residency placements? research? living arrangements?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for Cali. The south isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Stanford!!!!! Do It

Members don't see this ad :)
both awesome schools but CA beats TN any day...

any thoughts about these two school? residency placements? research? living arrangements?

Do you mind taking the standard 5 years to get your MD at Stanford?
What is financial aid like? I like CA a lot, but TN is a lot more affordable for a student.

They both have smaller class sizes and integrated scholarly projects. Palo Alto is kind of a yuppie suburb, but the Bay Area is a really fun place to be (although I feel a little bit restless here after only 3 years).

As for residency placement, Stanford has more of that "wow" factor than Vandy, but doing well at either school probably gets you the same outcome. As far as I'm concerned (and I think I'm relatively well-informed), all the med schools at this level are pretty much equivalent.

My advice is to revisit, get that gut feeling, and take financial aid very seriously, but know you can't go wrong!

thanks for all the responses :)

the choice is obvious...Stanford is in paradise, has one of the best curricula in the country, and is so laid back that you can spend 5 years without worrying about a thing....

of course I didn't get an interview there, despite it being my top choice...

...did I mention that I hate you for getting into Stanford :mad:

just moved to West Coast after spending 4 long years in Nashville. GO TO STANFORD!!

Nashville is very southern.... not fun, unless you're into that atmosphere.

Stanford all the way T ;)

just moved to West Coast after spending 4 long years in Nashville. GO TO STANFORD!!

Nashville is very southern.... not fun, unless you're into that atmosphere.
i agree. unless you want to try to live in the south for a part of your life go to stanford.

When I visited Vandy, it seemed like it was a very "homogenous" class. Not much diversity. You should go to stanford.
Unless you had a full scholarship to vandy, this question shouldn't be asked.

So, I originally come from CA (and attended Duke in Durham, NC) and was dead set on going to Vandy until I got to this forum. It seems like everyone is against Nashville, and that's no good for me =). Granted, the city's not the largest or the most diverse city in the country but it can't be THAT bad or THAT 'southern' (whatever that means) compared to Durham. Could someone expand on the problems of Nashville because I could be choosing Pittsburgh or NYC instead, but liked Vandy's curriculum. I don't want to be miserable in a city though, as even former Nashvillians seem against it. Thanks!

P.S. I come from LA so I probably wouldn't fit in NYC but if Nashville is really all that bad, maybe it's worth a try :rolleyes: .

So, I originally come from CA (and attended Duke in Durham, NC) and was dead set on going to Vandy until I got to this forum. It seems like everyone is against Nashville, and that's no good for me =). Granted, the city's not the largest or the most diverse city in the country but it can't be THAT bad or THAT 'southern' (whatever that means) compared to Durham. Could someone expand on the problems of Nashville because I could be choosing Pittsburgh or NYC instead, but liked Vandy's curriculum. I don't want to be miserable in a city though, as even former Nashvillians seem against it. Thanks!

P.S. I come from LA so I probably wouldn't fit in NYC but if Nashville is really all that bad, maybe it's worth a try :rolleyes: .

dude after living in Memphis for 4 years, I think Nashville is amazing...