Various questions about the AMCAS 08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
1) I've traveled for about a year up and down N and S America......is this sort of a thing worth mentioning in the EC? It wasn't for volunteering....it was my long time dream and was an extended vacation.

2) For those of you who has worked in the healthcare field as a professional: do we mention each employment separately OR simply state "physical therapist from yr xxxx to current", then list various details in the comment section?

3) Why do they suggest not copying and pasting the personal statement? I've copied and pasted mine from microsoft word and when previewed, seemed fine. Is there a formatting issue when the med schools view them in a print form although the statement appears fine on the computer?

4) I've taken some courses looooooong time ago and can't recall if some courses (not science ones..but say allied health courses) were lec/lab combined or simply lecture. How necessary is to to get all the lec only/lab only/lec and lab combined correct for non science courses?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
1) I've traveled for about a year up and down N and S America......is this sort of a thing worth mentioning in the EC? It wasn't for volunteering....it was my long time dream and was an extended vacation.

2) For those of you who has worked in the healthcare field as a professional: do we mention each employment separately OR simply state "physical therapist from yr xxxx to current", then list various details in the comment section?

3) Why do they suggest not copying and pasting the personal statement? I've copied and pasted mine from microsoft word and when previewed, seemed fine. Is there a formatting issue when the med schools view them in a print form although the statement appears fine on the computer?

4) I've taken some courses looooooong time ago and can't recall if some courses (not science ones..but say allied health courses) were lec/lab combined or simply lecture. How necessary is to to get all the lec only/lab only/lec and lab combined correct for non science courses?

Thanks!!!

1. Unless it relates to something that let you grow as a person or towards medicine (I don't think it does) then no.
3. They suggest not copying and pasting because the AMCAS thing does not have the formatting capabilities of word. So, just print it out and see if everything looks good.
4. Take a look at the transcript and match them to the transcript. The only information the AMCAS people will have and use is your old transcript.

I think you should include your travels through N and S America. Allowing oneself to experience something outside of their comfort zone usually facilitates inner growth.

I would consider adding it to your EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.
I did learn about people...not necessarily about myself during the travels. So, purhaps I can include it. Thanks about the information on what AMCAS uses during grade verification.
Anyone else?

1. I disagree with your first responder. I would definitely mention it. Many people have this dream, myself included. It is definitely worth mentioning as an EC, and I would find a way to weave it into your PS if relevant. This type of "pick up and go" teaches you so much about people, the world, and your place. Try to describe how it has affected your decision to go into medicine, however.

2. I'd go with option two. Saves space for other ECs, and the comment section provides plenty of room to elaborate.

3. There apparently was a formatting problem, and I'm not sure if it still exists. Copy from MS Word to MS Notepad and save the file. Close Notepad, reopen Notepad, open your saved file, and copy and paste that text. Notepad applies no formatting, so you'll know you're safe.

4. You need to match them them perfectly. Copy everything from your transcript.

Above poster is right. I am wrong. Please include in the activities section and your PS how you found the time to go on a year long vacation.