Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Various Questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dmission, Jan 3, 2009.

1. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    snipped

#1 dmission, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Acc1999

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you are fine. Just work harder but make sure you don't drop below 3.7 again, if you can pull that off, you should be competitive in all the schools.

I personally took the MCAT after my sophomore year and loved the decision. Remember, the mcat tests your ability to truely comprehend the material, because ifyou do, you can create complex synthesis with it on the fly. If you don't actually know what you are doing, then it bites u in the butt. Thus, taking it after your sophomore year lets you contain all that true understanding before it dissolves into smithereens with time. But that would cause your sophomore year to be hell cuz ud have to take ochem/bio/physics at the same time. Not a proposition for the weak of the stomach....

otherwise most ppl take it junior year and then apply right away.

4. JacksonInTheBox

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    One C is not the end of the world especially after just one semester of college. Your GPA is still very sensitive and will rise very quickly if you do well form here on out. You just have a bit of a hole to get out of. First semester of college is usually the thoughest too. Im sure you heard this before, but it does become easier once you become more comfortable.

I would assume the best time to take the MCAT is after you cover all of the material on the test. Gen Chem, O Chem, Intro biology courses and Physics. Im taking it this upcoming semester of my Junior Year. And since your scores only last 3 years it might not be the best to take it any earlier.

Im not sure about the course requirements but Im sure they want them all complete. Why else would they call them requirements? Maybe there are some options though. But if you are worried about getting all your classes think about summer school.

Good luck

5. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You need to be 3.5 minimum. Plenty of time.
    Studying depends on you. If you are applying the summer after junior year, then you should take it junior year.
    If it is required, it is required. The English req is 1 year-- on a semester system that is 2 classes and generally required by your school anyway.

6. Acc1999

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

yes, this is good advice. If you are not able to immediately do a 180, then take the MCAT later so you have a few reapplications under your belt. Sophomore year mcats are high risk high reward propositions.

7. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you get straight As next semester you'll be up to a 3.5. Keep getting straight As, and your GPA will continue to rise. If you get any Bs, you delay your redemption. After just one semester, it's easy to dig your way out. But if you don't figure out what you're doing wrong, and start getting good grades from now on, med school will not remain a good goal for you.

8. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Just a thought: I know some of my friends took a course again in which they got a C. Just make sure you get an A second time around. This option is kinda pointless though if you get straight A's from here on out.

About the MCAT: take it when you feel comfortable, I would say. When you feel that you have really mastered the material and are getting the scores you are looking for. I think it will help alot having had all the physics, ochem, and bio intro classes. Human physiology and biochem also helped me a lot, but I also didn't take the MCAT till senior year, so i had more time to take those classes.

I wouldn't mess too much with the course requirements. It's good to have that scientific and english basis before entering med school. I took some summer school to get all the classes done that I needed and that I wanted.

All the best!

9. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for all the replies. Straight A's might be tough, I'm taking four pretty hard classes, but I'll definitely try harder.

As far as the english classes -- can those be taken at a JC/CC, or must it be from my university? Assuming it's OK from a junior/community college, do they just want the whole summer or two summers (so I know when to start)?

Also, because my major isn't related to biology/chem at all, it's hard for me to fit in the 4 yeers of science (chem,ochem,bio,phys), so bio and phys will likely be taken my junior and senior years respectively. Should this affect when I take the MCAT?

Thanks very much, again! All input is appreciated.

10. 236116

What will your uni require? You should have those done before you take the MCAT since that is what it tests on.

11. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What do mean what does it require? I suppose I could take phys and bio both my junior year, if possible.

Although, that combined with a CS class (major) and a GE class might be tough and lead to a lower GPA, so I'm really confused what to do here.

12. 236116

will your school let you take cc courses?

13. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, they transfer over just fine. Just wondering if med schools will accept them.

Also, one year of english = how many quarters or how many summer sessions?

14. 236116

if your summer session courses= quarter courses, 3.

and yes, absolutely.

15. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is one summer usually = 1 quarter then?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, my major is computer science -- am I stupid to do that and still apply?

16. 236116

Generally, but check with your school.

Totally not stupid. :)

17. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks so much for all the help.

New plan: focus 100% on school & MCAT, and go visit a counselor for the first time to plan out my courses a bit.

jurassicpark: How is your med-school-app process going?

18. 236116

:)

Non-trad-ing through my bacc. Erugh. Decent gpa, need to sort out a major, determine how many degrees I'm going to get pre-application. :cool: Some clinicals, hoping to restructure work to get some vols. Possible research.

Life's worth it, but damn sometimes I wish I'd done the usual route.

19. dmission

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    More than one degree? Awesome :D

Anyway thanks for the input, best of luck.

20. Siverhideo1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Are you totally set on going to med school right out of college?