Varying Stats... 3.3 ucGPA, 3.19 usGPA, 3.77 gcGPA, 3.72 gsGPA, 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physwiz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions at the bottom of the post.

Undergrad: Bio, Grad: Physiology with published Thesis
4 years in research, a combination of basic science and human research, have a manuscript sent for publication.
6 months in direct patient experience as a phlebotomist (as a volunteer for clinical volunteer hours, hundreds of hours)
2 years as a TA in Physiology.
President of undergraduate club.
Time as a D1 athlete.
Participation in extreme endurance athletics with fundraisers for local charities along the way.
200 hours in non-clinical volunteering (mentorship programs, animal sanctuaries)
Abroad research and volunteering experiences.

Most of my "premed" classes were pretty good, high B's and A's. The lower undergrad GPA comes a lot from B's in advanced science classes. Hence, no "upwards GPA trend." Does that matter? Shouldn't I be more heavily considered for sticking through some very tough classes?

Didn't do as well on the MCAT as I hoped, took it right before the switch so it was a decision whether to roll with it or start from scratch. Considering I'm paying for all of this out of pocket, it decided not to retake and my state school told me they weren't worried about that MCAT score. Aside from state school, what are my chances at some of these other schools? I'm afraid schools will look past my ECs and just throw me out the window.

My top choices were: Iowa, USU, Arizona (either), Creighton, Tulane, Rochester. Haven't applied to DO schools yet.

George Washington
NYMC
Tufts
FIU
Tulane; Rejected 8-20-2015
USU
Rosalind Franklin
Iowa; Interview invite
Arizona Phoenix
Arizona Tucson
UCHC
OHSU
Rochester
Creighton
Drexel

Members don't see this ad.

Is the graduate GPA from a formal MS? a post-bac? If the former, was it a research-style program, or a SMP?

IF the latter, or from a post-bac, I suggest the following:

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

A few questions at the bottom of the post.

Undergrad: Bio, Grad: Physiology with published Thesis
4 years in research, a combination of basic science and human research, have a manuscript sent for publication.
6 months in direct patient experience as a phlebotomist (as a volunteer for clinical volunteer hours, hundreds of hours)
2 years as a TA in Physiology.
President of undergraduate club.
Time as a D1 athlete.
Participation in extreme endurance athletics with fundraisers for local charities along the way.
200 hours in non-clinical volunteering (mentorship programs, animal sanctuaries)
Abroad research and volunteering experiences.

Most of my "premed" classes were pretty good, high B's and A's. The lower undergrad GPA comes a lot from B's in advanced science classes. Hence, no "upwards GPA trend." Does that matter? Shouldn't I be more heavily considered for sticking through some very tough classes?

Didn't do as well on the MCAT as I hoped, took it right before the switch so it was a decision whether to roll with it or start from scratch. Considering I'm paying for all of this out of pocket, it decided not to retake and my state school told me they weren't worried about that MCAT score. Aside from state school, what are my chances at some of these other schools? I'm afraid schools will look past my ECs and just throw me out the window.

My top choices were: Iowa, USU, Arizona (either), Creighton, Tulane, Rochester. Haven't applied to DO schools yet.

George Washington
NYMC
Tufts
FIU
Tulane; Rejected 8-20-2015
USU
Rosalind Franklin
Iowa; Interview invite
Arizona Phoenix
Arizona Tucson
UCHC
OHSU
Rochester
Creighton
Drexel

It was a formal masters program, designed to send students into Ph.D. positions. I did quite well in it and was encouraged to keep going, but I decided I wanted a different direction for my life. Hence, there was definitely a sudden slam to get MCAT done and clinical experiences in.

Have applied to 3 of those schools you mentioned, nixed Loma Linda, Albany, and Quinnipiac for a number of reasons but havent looked at WVU, EVMS, or VCU. Read somewhere that Rush wants like 500 hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering experience each, which seems insane but has kept me from sending in my secondary there.

Is the graduate GPA from a formal MS? a post-bac? If the former, was it a research-style program, or a SMP?

IF the latter, or from a post-bac, I suggest the following:

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT score is your limiting factor now. Sadly, beggars can't be choosy.

It was a formal masters program, designed to send students into Ph.D. positions. I did quite well in it and was encouraged to keep going, but I decided I wanted a different direction for my life. Hence, there was definitely a sudden slam to get MCAT done and clinical experiences in.

Have applied to 3 of those schools you mentioned, nixed Loma Linda, Albany, and Quinnipiac for a number of reasons but havent looked at WVU, EVMS, or VCU. Read somewhere that Rush wants like 500 hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering experience each, which seems insane but has kept me from sending in my secondary there.