VA's and Dual Citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyDr13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend and I were discussing citizenship in regards to interning in a VA and so I thought I would post this question. While it is widely known that you must be a US citizen to be a VA intern, can you hold dual citizenship (US and a European Union country) and intern in a VA?

Members don't see this ad.

oh shoot even though im 4 years away from an internship i didnt even think of citizenship status! looks like i should take my US citizenship exam soon.... or hope i get married by then :p

My friend and I were discussing citizenship in regards to interning in a VA and so I thought I would post this question. While it is widely known that you must be a US citizen to be a VA intern, can you hold dual citizenship (US and a European Union country) and intern in a VA?

Yes, you can match at a VA internship if you hold dual citizenship (I know a couple people from my program who have done this). I think they are most concerned that you are a US citizen first and foremost, regardless of your citizenship status elsewhere.