Vascular combined programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seikolover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm quite interested in applying for vascular combined programs this next cycle. Of course I'll be applying to gen surg, too with the eventual goal of going vascular.

There haven't been too many combined vascular threads in the last while.

What are the programs looking for? do I need research in vascular to match? my step 1 is pretty good.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think combined vascular is great. I strongly considered it after spending a couple weeks of my gen surg rotation on the vascular service but ended up pursuing neurosurgery instead. Do a little search here for some of the integrated programs, it shouldnt take too long to rustle up the good programs. I spent time on the vascular service at Lenox HIll hospital in NYC. Its a community hospital not directly affiliated with a med school, but I think it has some very solid training and exposure to every facet of vascular surgery. The residents do plenty of cases with good variety, get a lot of independence in the OR, and the location just can't be beat (if city living is your thing). They have a clinic that they regularly go to and even though they make for long days, I think the experience is invaluable. I also found the residents to be pretty close-knit, personable guys.

Lenox Hill just got bought up by the North Shore/LIJ system and I think they're going to be pumping plenty of resources into building up the hospital to be their Manhattan foothold. They also have a new med school going, and Lenox Hill already has academic affiliations with Mt. Sinai and Columbia, so I don't think academics are an issue. Its certainly a program I'd check out and had I pursued vascular surgery, it would have been high on my list. Thats essentially the extent of my knowledge of integrated vascular. Good luck and I hope you get what you're looking for!

EDIT: Realized I totally didnt answer your question, OP. Integrated vascular is relatively competitive, just due to the numbers. I'd echo Coldleg (gee, I wonder what he's doing for a living) and cover your bases as you would in any competitive surgical specialty - make sure you have a good reason for pursuing vascular, have a relatively strong history of research, solid grades and LORs from people who can really vouch for you preferably in vasc. surg, and be personable during your interviews.

Last edited:
From my own experience, the biggest things I thought my interviewers were looking for were commitment to the field and research. The majority of the programs are at large academic institutions, and they are looking for residents who they feel will be productive academically. In terms of the commitment aspect, make sure you have some good answers to things like "why pigeonhole yourself so early?" or "why skip out on general surgery training?" Those were favorites on the interview trail.

Vascular is a pretty small community. If there is someone at your institution who is active in the academic vascular world, definitely seek them out for advice (as well as a LOR). If not, I would suggest doing an away rotation at a place that does. I'm pretty sure the PD just wants someone he knows to vouch for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it less ideal to be applying in a time when these combined programs are just making it out? Will fellowships be fewer in the future (6 years from now, to be exact) due to them wanting straight through candidates?

Can I apply to gen surg and combined vasc programs at the same institution? I think it makes a lot of sense but I don't want to look non-committed. Then again, I think everyone would recognize that it'd be stupid to apply only to the few vascular programs out there.

In picking my 4th year electives - I can do a general surgery sub I or a vascular elective at my home institution (which has a not-bad vascular program).

Would doing a vascular elective (+ letters) help just as well with gen surg as vasc surg? or should I do a gen surg sub I just to cover my basics. I am doing aways as well, (gen surg vs vasc surg?)

In picking my 4th year electives - I can do a general surgery sub I or a vascular elective at my home institution (which has a not-bad vascular program).

Would doing a vascular elective (+ letters) help just as well with gen surg as vasc surg? or should I do a gen surg sub I just to cover my basics. I am doing aways as well, (gen surg vs vasc surg?)

If I were you, I wouldnt double interview at the same institutions, but I don't think double applying would be an issue. With the numbers being what they are, it really isnt unreasonable to apply to both gen-surg and vascular. In fact its pretty easily explainable - "I really want to do vascular at your institution, and I'm willing to go through gen surg to get the exposure and I'll pursue fellowship afterwards". Its not like you're applying to Ortho and Gen-surg at the same place.

In terms of your elective, if there is some way you could split your month into 2 weeks gen surg and 2 weeks vascular, that may be an ideal situation. Alternatively, do a Gen-surg subI, Vascular subI, and Vascular away.

Is it less ideal to be applying in a time when these combined programs are just making it out? Will fellowships be fewer in the future (6 years from now, to be exact) due to them wanting straight through candidates?

The number of spots will decrease as the number of residency spots increase. Some programs are getting rid of their fellowships, some are simply decreasing the number of spots. I asked pretty much every program I interviewed at about this, the answer was uniform.

Can I apply to gen surg and combined vasc programs at the same institution? I think it makes a lot of sense but I don't want to look non-committed. Then again, I think everyone would recognize that it'd be stupid to apply only to the few vascular programs out there.
The vast majority of programs will not offer you interviews at both programs. I double applied to most of the vascular programs and only got offers from 1 to interview at both programs. I got phone calls from several programs asking which interview I wanted vascular vs. gen surg. I don't really understand why, but thats just me.

It will look strange if you haven't spent time on your home vascular service. As previously mentioned, the Vascular community is quite small. You are always going to get asked about how people at institutions you were at are doing or if you have worked with them. It is not unusual for your home surgeons interviewed at or trained at various other places with residency programs.

Last edited:

Agree with the above posters. I wouldn't double apply, but I honestly don't think it matters that much, and YMMV.

I'm a huge critic of the away-as-audition rotation in vasc/GS. I think that in the large majority of cases they simply don't matter, and in rarer cases they can be downright detrimental. If you are 100% set on vascular, I would definitely do a vascular sub-I at your home institution. I would also do a general surgery sub-I, as both will help in applying for both specialties. Getting GOOD letters from both segments is important.

I would look at vascular away rotations only. They are a very good way to get an accurate feel of what a particular program is like day-to-day. I would NOT do any general surgery away rotations.

Hope that helps.

neb