Quantcast

Vascular fellowship Vs Transplant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S4surgery

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am currently a PGY 4 and I am deciding between vascular and transplant. I like both equally. I am IMG so I will have to do a 3 year underserved area j1 waiver after fellowship. I was weighing my options.

I would like to have your thoughts

mine are

Transplant: great, not competitive , have research in the field and very familiar with.
the bad side is when I have to do the 3 year underserved area I am not sure about the chances of doing transplant, likely just general surgery - so I am concerned after this gap it would be difficult to rejoin. + limited jobs and I am aware of the horrible life style

Vascular: great as well , has an additional board certification, better job opportunity, both private and academic, fir the 3 year part it is easier to find a job.

the concern is more competitive, but according to the nrpm stats still had 10% unfilled positions so it is not pediatric surgery by any means. no publications.

what do you think ?

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Vascular fellowship at your institution? Networking and connections there can help you land a fellowship spot (which, IMHO, is more important than ABSITE scores).

S4surgery

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I don't have a vascular fellowship at my institute . My ABSITE Scores are pretty decent actually. I have sone connections , my chief of division is supportive and willing to make the phone calls. I just want to have input from other people who see things from a different angel as transplant vs vascular again the context of job market.

Last edited:

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A transplant fellow at my institution did the IMG 3 year gen surg thing then became a fellow for transplant. So that is an option (getting the 3 years out of the way in gen surg then pursuing fellowship). That being said, he's now having a hard time finding a job out of fellowship.

Job opportunities for vascular seem to be better, but I don't know how easy it is to get a fellowship spot as an IMG in general. I would agree networking is very helpful. I would say go to some vascular meetings and talk with program directors to network, usually they have travel scholarships for residents to many of the meetings including SVS.

ESU_MD

Old School
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Consider CT surg.. You can.get a good spot as an IMG. + get to do transplant& vascular in your practice

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PGY 4 and I am deciding between vascular and transplant. I like both equally. I am IMG so I will have to do a 3 year underserved area j1 waiver after fellowship. I was weighing my options.

I would like to have your thoughts

mine are

Transplant: great, not competitive , have research in the field and very familiar with.
the bad side is when I have to do the 3 year underserved area I am not sure about the chances of doing transplant, likely just general surgery - so I am concerned after this gap it would be difficult to rejoin. + limited jobs and I am aware of the horrible life style

Vascular: great as well , has an additional board certification, better job opportunity, both private and academic, fir the 3 year part it is easier to find a job.

the concern is more competitive, but according to the nrpm stats still had 10% unfilled positions so it is not pediatric surgery by any means. no publications.

what do you think ?

As an IMG on a J1 and vascular fellow right now, I can tell u its definitely doable. If ur CV is good, u will get a good fellowship spot. Lot of job opportunities after, even if u require a waiver.

Issue with transplant is that jobs are hard to come by on a visa, even if u r at a decent fellowship. If u require waiver, jobs will be almost impossible. Even if u were on a H1 and dont need a waiver, jobs are still pretty hard

so would recommend vascular... lots of fellowship spots and great job opportunities.