Vascular fellowship Vs Transplant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S4surgery

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PGY 4 and I am deciding between vascular and transplant. I like both equally. I am IMG so I will have to do a 3 year underserved area j1 waiver after fellowship. I was weighing my options.

I would like to have your thoughts

mine are

Transplant: great, not competitive , have research in the field and very familiar with.
the bad side is when I have to do the 3 year underserved area I am not sure about the chances of doing transplant, likely just general surgery - so I am concerned after this gap it would be difficult to rejoin. + limited jobs and I am aware of the horrible life style

Vascular: great as well , has an additional board certification, better job opportunity, both private and academic, fir the 3 year part it is easier to find a job.

the concern is more competitive, but according to the nrpm stats still had 10% unfilled positions so it is not pediatric surgery by any means. no publications.

what do you think ?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a Vascular fellowship at your institution? Networking and connections there can help you land a fellowship spot (which, IMHO, is more important than ABSITE scores).

Well I don't have a vascular fellowship at my institute . My ABSITE Scores are pretty decent actually. I have sone connections , my chief of division is supportive and willing to make the phone calls. I just want to have input from other people who see things from a different angel as transplant vs vascular again the context of job market.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A transplant fellow at my institution did the IMG 3 year gen surg thing then became a fellow for transplant. So that is an option (getting the 3 years out of the way in gen surg then pursuing fellowship). That being said, he's now having a hard time finding a job out of fellowship.

Job opportunities for vascular seem to be better, but I don't know how easy it is to get a fellowship spot as an IMG in general. I would agree networking is very helpful. I would say go to some vascular meetings and talk with program directors to network, usually they have travel scholarships for residents to many of the meetings including SVS.

Consider CT surg.. You can.get a good spot as an IMG. + get to do transplant& vascular in your practice

I am currently a PGY 4 and I am deciding between vascular and transplant. I like both equally. I am IMG so I will have to do a 3 year underserved area j1 waiver after fellowship. I was weighing my options.

I would like to have your thoughts

mine are

Transplant: great, not competitive , have research in the field and very familiar with.
the bad side is when I have to do the 3 year underserved area I am not sure about the chances of doing transplant, likely just general surgery - so I am concerned after this gap it would be difficult to rejoin. + limited jobs and I am aware of the horrible life style

Vascular: great as well , has an additional board certification, better job opportunity, both private and academic, fir the 3 year part it is easier to find a job.

the concern is more competitive, but according to the nrpm stats still had 10% unfilled positions so it is not pediatric surgery by any means. no publications.

what do you think ?

As an IMG on a J1 and vascular fellow right now, I can tell u its definitely doable. If ur CV is good, u will get a good fellowship spot. Lot of job opportunities after, even if u require a waiver.

Issue with transplant is that jobs are hard to come by on a visa, even if u r at a decent fellowship. If u require waiver, jobs will be almost impossible. Even if u were on a H1 and dont need a waiver, jobs are still pretty hard

so would recommend vascular... lots of fellowship spots and great job opportunities.