Position Wanted Vascular Resident Looking for Alternative Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorjosam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm an integrated vascular surgery resident in one of the IVY league schools, doing my second year of residency now. I came to the conclusion that although I enjoy surgery and vascular system, I can't tolerate the life-style anymore and since I'm on J visa, I should act by the end of this year. I want to change my career to less intense, less stressful field. I enjoy almost all aspects of medicine and I can imagine myself being successful in any alternative field that can give me the flexibility of spending some time outside of work. The other important factor for me is the location; I want to move to west coast or a big city (preferably somewhere sunny).
My attendings are fully supportive of my decision and willing to help in any way. I'm professional, intellectual, hard-worker and flexible with high USMLE scores, dual degree and strong research background.
I appreciate if you can introduce me possible opportunities that you might know and also if you have any suggestion for me in general. Life is too short to be miserable.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m interested. I’m a PGY2 at a top 10 ivy diagnostic radiology program in a big city. PM me

Hi everyone,
I'm an integrated vascular surgery resident in one of the IVY league schools, doing my second year of residency now. I came to the conclusion that although I enjoy surgery and vascular system, I can't tolerate the life-style anymore and since I'm on J visa, I should act by the end of this year. I want to change my career to less intense, less stressful field. I enjoy almost all aspects of medicine and I can imagine myself being successful in any alternative field that can give me the flexibility of spending some time outside of work. The other important factor for me is the location; I want to move to west coast or a big city (preferably somewhere sunny).
My attendings are fully supportive of my decision and willing to help in any way. I'm professional, intellectual, hard-worker and flexible with high USMLE scores, dual degree and strong research background.
I appreciate if you can introduce me possible opportunities that you might know and also if you have any suggestion for me in general. Life is too short to be miserable.
Hi everyone,
please check your pm.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Switching to internal medicine or family medicine or other specialty of interest is an option. Speaking to programs in your institution and city may be a good start. Sounds like you have support from your program, which is great. As far as non clinical careers go, it is hard to get into without finishing residency.

Hi everyone,

You do realize that life as an attending is much different than life as a resident.

You do realize that life as an attending is much different than life as a resident.
My observation was different. My attendings are definitely busier and under more pressure than residents. I have to mention that they enjoy working all the time, but I didn't see them having much time out of the work. Junior surgeons in private practice also didn't have a better life since they have to prove themselves in the community. When you are a senior surgeon, life would be great but it's 20-30 years from now...

My observation was different. My attendings are definitely busier and under more pressure than residents. I have to mention that they enjoy working all the time, but I didn't see them having much time out of the work. Junior surgeons in private practice also didn't have a better life since they have to prove themselves in the community. When you are a senior surgeon, life would be great but it's 20-30 years from now...

I've seen different... Once you're done, you can tailor your job to how you want, within reason of course. If you want to work less, expect a lower paycheck.

Academic life and private practice are very different too. Plus when you round, it's just on your patients not everyone like now in training.

Hi everyone,
Hi were you able to get another position? And what position did you get? let me know if you are interested. I am a surgical resident.