Vascular Surgery Fellow Grants/Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAMSOVEIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dilemma - I graduated Gen Surg from a program that provides their vascular fellows with everything. I joined (happily) a different vascular surgery program as a new fellow. Only problem is that we are expected to pay for RPVI training (900), lead (1300!!!), loupes, VESAP etc. Does anyone know of any resources I can tap to help pay for this? I moved 5 states away and had to use my savings for that.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Dilemma - I graduated Gen Surg from a program that provides their vascular fellows with everything. I joined (happily) a different vascular surgery program as a new fellow. Only problem is that we are expected to pay for RPVI training (900), lead (1300!!!), loupes, VESAP etc. Does anyone know of any resources I can tap to help pay for this? I moved 5 states away and had to use my savings for that.

Why would they require you buy your own lead??? I had to buy my own loupes, but that was about it in general surgery and CT training.

I don’t know of resources for lead and loupes, but one of my device reps set me up with VESAP for free, and they can be a great resource for educational materials in general. Something you could try for RPVI is to wait until end of second year to take it and write reimbursement for study materials and the exam into your job contract (as well as your licensing and board fees that will be hitting you hard next year). For headlights, my OR staff was amazing and figured out a way to purchase new headlights under our faculty’s names so that the purchase would be approved, but then they were assigned to the fellows to use. There are ways to make things happen if you’re creative! Discouraging they don’t provide lead aprons and glasses for you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Can you talk to your PD about how that is a financial burden for you?
I'm surprised you didn't buy loupes during residency. You will need those.
As far as lead, your employer is legally required to provide you with personal protective equipment to do your job, so you should be able to use some hospital lead and save yourself the $1300. If it's somehow an issue, talk to the GME office or (if that doesn't work), HR.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you talk to your PD about how that is a financial burden for you?
I'm surprised you didn't buy loupes during residency. You will need those.
As far as lead, your employer is legally required to provide you with personal protective equipment to do your job, so you should be able to use some hospital lead and save yourself the $1300. If it's somehow an issue, talk to the GME office or (if that doesn't work), H

I have loupes from residency (bought during PGY2) but I had an injury requiring a coronal lift - so I have trouble seeing out of my left side since my eye contour changed. (Super painful surgery...not fun at all).
I will try to talk to my PD.

I have loupes from residency (bought during PGY2) but I had an injury requiring a coronal lift - so I have trouble seeing out of my left side since my eye contour changed. (Super painful surgery...not fun at all).

You should definitely look into the different loupes dealers at the next SVS or other national meetings. Many times you can get decent discounts on your order. Might save a bit for you at least if you can wait until then.

I'd contact the company that made your original loupes. They may be able to adjust them.

Reactions: 1 user