vascular surgery fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david stern

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of the senior residents (I'm a PGY-4) applying for vascular surgery in 2008? Any thoughts on the best places for endovascular training? I was also wondering if anyone knew of places that allowed for the most fellow autonomy. For example, I have heard that the Mayo Clinic (Minnesota) has a phenomenal open vascular experience but has VERY poor endovascular training. I have also heard that Cornell/Columbia is poor with regards to endovascular and that the Cleveland Clinic has an excellent overall experience but MINIMAL fellow autonomy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Any of the senior residents (I'm a PGY-4) applying for vascular surgery in 2008? Any thoughts on the best places for endovascular training? I was also wondering if anyone knew of places that allowed for the most fellow autonomy. For example, I have heard that the Mayo Clinic (Minnesota) has a phenomenal open vascular experience but has VERY poor endovascular training. I have also heard that Cornell/Columbia is poor with regards to endovascular and that the Cleveland Clinic has an excellent overall experience but MINIMAL fellow autonomy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

At Univ of Chicago, the vascular fellowship consists of open cases first year and strictly endovascular cases second year. Aside from standard endo cases like AAAs, LE plasties/stents, the fellows frequently do newer things like carotid stents, silverhawk atherectomies, robotic aortic debranching. Fellows seem to have decent autonomy as we have often have multiple rooms going at once with half a dozen attendings. The fellows frequently start the case and take PGY-2s, PGY-3s through some cases. We have a dedicated endovascular suite in our outpatient ORs. Last year, as the PGY-3, there were enough cases to go around that I was routinely surgeon junior on fem-fems, fem-pops, fem-distals, elective AAAs and carotids, while the fellows were in other rooms doing other AAAs, carotids, aortic debranching, or endo cases.