Vascular surgery preperation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorukas

Reaction score
Hello people. A new guy with his very first post is here from Turkey.

I read some posts about vascular surgery, all very inspirating. But I have a question more specific.

I am aspiring to be a vascular surgeon. My step 1 score is 243. I am planning to take CK in november, aiming for 260+. CS sometime next year. I want to apply for 2020 match. But in the meantime, I can start my residency here. So my question is; would a residency in general surgery be more helpful or one in cardiovascular surgery? I wish to participate in an integrated vascular surgery programme, but since it is very competitive and I am an IMG, odds are I will get a general surgery programme (of course if I will get into any programme).

I like cardiovascular surgery way more than general surgery, and who knows, if something would change my path in life, here I wish to be a cardiovascular surgeon instead of general surgeon.

I hope I clarified my dilemma sufficiently. Sorry for my illiteracy, and thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to Programs | Society for Vascular Surgery

Looks like you'd be able to do the 5+2. That is, after 5 years in gen surg you can apply for fellowships in vascular. Not to be a downer but you probably should save your money instead of applying to the integrated ones-vascular is pretty competitive and I don't think particularly IMG friendly.

Applying to Programs | Society for Vascular Surgery

Looks like you'd be able to do the 5+2. That is, after 5 years in gen surg you can apply for fellowships in vascular. Not to be a downer but you probably should save your money instead of applying to the integrated ones-vascular is pretty competitive and I don't think particularly IMG friendly.

Well not sure what you mean by vascular integrated being more competitive but the average step score for general and vascular was both 236 last year so OP has above average there. Not sure about IMG data but I'm assuming the average is probably higher. OP I'd look at that data and see where you stand. I'm still just a student so can't tell you what your chances are but the data usually speaks for itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well not sure what you mean by vascular integrated being more competitive but the average step score for general and vascular was both 236 last year so OP has above average there. Not sure about IMG data but I'm assuming the average is probably higher. OP I'd look at that data and see where you stand. I'm still just a student so can't tell you what your chances are but the data usually speaks for itself.

According to US MD charting outcomes from last year 50 students applied. 46 matched with an average of double digit interviews and an average step of 236.
According to charting outcomes for international students 15 students applied. 4 matched and 11 did not with a median of 4.5 (mean is thrown off by one applicant with >16 interviews) interviews and an average step of 243. The international students who matched also had an average of 36 abstracts/publications/presentations. This could similarly be thrown off by 1 applicant but the data is not provided.
Honestly vascular is less competitive/more IMG friendly than I would've intuited-OP should go ahead and apply (but still expect to more likely be a gen surg resident)

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate the help friends. Do you think being a resident here would affect my chances as having job experience? Would general surgery or cardiovascular surgery would be more helpful? (these are different departments here)

you would have to ask some more experiences residents/attendings here.

with general or CT you'll do many open procedures which won't do much as vascular but getting that experience will be nice in making you feel more comfortable and maybe give you a leg up in residency

Again, see if someone more experienced can help. There are a few very active vascular residents/attendings on this site

@mimelim hope it is alright if I tag you here

Reactions: 1 user
Hello people. A new guy with his very first post is here from Turkey.

I read some posts about vascular surgery, all very inspirating. But I have a question more specific.

I am aspiring to be a vascular surgeon. My step 1 score is 243. I am planning to take CK in november, aiming for 260+. CS sometime next year. I want to apply for 2020 match. But in the meantime, I can start my residency here. So my question is; would a residency in general surgery be more helpful or one in cardiovascular surgery? I wish to participate in an integrated vascular surgery programme, but since it is very competitive and I am an IMG, odds are I will get a general surgery programme (of course if I will get into any programme).

I like cardiovascular surgery way more than general surgery, and who knows, if something would change my path in life, here I wish to be a cardiovascular surgeon instead of general surgeon.

I hope I clarified my dilemma sufficiently. Sorry for my illiteracy, and thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers

Appreciate the help friends. Do you think being a resident here would affect my chances as having job experience? Would general surgery or cardiovascular surgery would be more helpful? (these are different departments here)

#1 Starting a foreign residency will not help you gain entry into an IVS program, regardless of general surgery vs. cardiovascular surgery. From a purely getting into a program standpoint, spending your time doing research will be more valuable than starting a residency.

#2 Far more important than either of those for entry into and surviving an IVS residency is proficiency in written and spoken English. The bulk of your interactions at an IVS program are going to be in English. With patients, with consulting physicians, with nursing staff, with your coworkers, etc. It gives programs significant pause if you can't effectively communicate and at speed. It is pretty rare for there to be issues with fund of knowledge or other medical things. But, communication? Every day. This is certainly not limited to ESL, there are plenty of native speakers that have horrific communication skills. You can not be apologizing for your English skills. From a practical standpoint, the single most valuable thing you can do is dedicate/focus yourself on learning better English.

There is no right answer here. Clearly if you heed my advice about US IVS programs, you will lose time within your native system. But, I don't think there really is much wiggle room for most IMGs given how competitive things are.

Reactions: 1 users