VCOM Carolina vs. NYITCOM LI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

32appslater

Reaction score
Thots?

NYITCOM:

Pros:

- attached to a larger university so more connections for research + extra curricular stuff
- more urban location and more diverse population in terms of patients during training, which is a plus for me personally
- more established, has been around for a while
- no mandatory lecture
- think it would be really cool to be close to the city, such an interesting place

Cons:

- attrition rate problems? not sure if it's something to be concerned about
- farther from home, from Florida
- more expensive
- interview was nice but seemed very generic / impersonal

VCOM:

Pros:

- everybody was so dang nice at the school and in Spartanburg, very small community feel
- staff seemed genuinely happy to be there, interviewers were awesome, had a great conversation with them, was a very personal experience
- location is nice, close to greenville and charlotte, lot's of beautiful hiking around
- cost of living cheaper

Cons:

- probably not as many connections in terms of research, which seems to be a bigger deal now for DO students considering pass/fail step 1
- rotation sites seem to be all over south carolina, so will most likely have to make a move when I reach the clinical years, not a huge deal though
- fairly new school, at least for this location, not as established
- 70% mandatory lecture, and curriculum is extremely exam heavy, student we talked to said that they have 2-3 exams a week which seems like it could be exhausting, feels like it might be more of a hinderance than help
- not much diversity in SC from my observations

Members don't see this ad.

How much more expensive would it be at NYITCOM?

Going to a more established school that doesn’t have mandatory attendance would likely make your time at school a bit smoother.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much more expensive would it be at NYITCOM?

Going to a more established school that doesn’t have mandatory attendance would likely make your time at school a bit smoother.
NYITCOM estimated cost of attendance per their website: 400,000+

VCOM estimated per the interview handout that they gave us: around 330,000

so it's a difference of about 70-80,000 dollars which is kind of big lol vcom's tuition rate and estimated living expenses are much lower.

do you have any more info about nyitcom's attrition rate issues?
Unfortunately I can't find official information online about this problem, not sure if it's just rumors or not. The more I read online and on SDN/reddit the more it seems that it's just rumors

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
NYITCOM estimated cost of attendance per their website: 400,000+

VCOM estimated per the interview handout that they gave us: around 330,000

so it's a difference of about 70-80,000 dollars which is kind of big lol vcom's tuition rate and estimated living expenses are much lower.
Go for VCOM then

NYITCOM is not in a urban area, just wanted to add that in. Long Island is suburban - overcrowded but definitely suburban

Reactions: 1 user