This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SiSiDO

Reaction score
VCOM - CC
+ Cheaper tuition ~$45,500
+ Less moving throughout medical school
+ Clinical experiences every Friday
+ Clinical years spent in hospitals
+ 100% Match rate
+ Cheap cost of living
- Mandatory lecture attendance
- Letter grading system
- Far away from home

ATSU - SOMA
+ I'm from Phoenix, so this campus is close to home and support system
+ Focus on mental wellness
+ 100% Match rate
+ P/F grading
+ Cheap cost of living
+/- 1+3 curriculum, early exposure to clinicals, less time for board prep
- More expensive tuition ~$57,000
- Likely have to move for years 2-4
- Clinicals are at community health centers, limiting exposure in hospitals
- They are increasing the class since from 107 to 160, which will likely force some changes to the curriculum; guinea pigs.

Both schools have similar board pass rates.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a medical student but currently in the application process now and about to put a deposit down at a DO school but from my research the two most common things I heard from medical students were

"1. mandatory lectures are awful and most of the stuff you need to know you can learn more efficiently on your own. This might just depend on the person but I feel like you should keep that in mind. 2. Go wherever is cheapest, medical schools teach the same stuff and for the most part don't differ that dramatically."

I know this doesn't help as they even out the score so to speak but I thought I would mention them

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro I know that you are not a fan of SOMAs 1+3 curriculum. Could you elaborate on what you do not like about the clinical exposure? Also, you have mentioned that you like VCOM, but you don't recommend required attendance (which VCOM has). Why then do you recommend VCOM? Lastly, I have an interview scheduled at Western U - Lebanon, which I am interested in. This is also a school that you recommend, but do you think it is worth the extra 12k/year?

Thanks in advance!

@Goro I know that you are not a fan of SOMAs 1+3 curriculum. Could you elaborate on what you do not like about the clinical exposure? Also, you have mentioned that you like VCOM, but you don't recommend required attendance (which VCOM has). Why then do you recommend VCOM? Lastly, I have an interview scheduled at Western U - Lebanon, which I am interested in. This is also a school that you recommend, but do you think it is worth the extra 12k/year?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not crazy about how they ship kids all over the state for what appear to be mostly shadowing experiences.

I feel that as adult learners, you are the best judges of how you can learn. Passive learning from the "sage on the stage" is not as effective as most Faculty think it is, and to require lecture attendance (not the same as PBL or TBL) is so 19th Century.

That said, you have pick the school that best suited to your needs.

One of my friends is a Faculty member at Western-OR and a PD, so I have a high opinion of them. Are they worth the extra $12K? Only you can answer that. At least, go to the interview and see what your gut says afterwards.

Reactions: 1 user