VCOM: Right-Wing Christian coalition dream come true

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCOM_sich_heil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Warning if you're thinking about coming to VCOM. They just publicly announced that they have a deal with Jerry Falwell's Liberty University.

First, VCOM harasses its one hippie student who dared start a unofficial newspaper. Then it kicks out the an openly gay student in my class for academics when everyone else with problems qualifies for the VCOM no student left behind program. And on top of that every medical mission involves spreading the gospel but that's not planned ahead of time. Then it signs a deal to set aside 20 or more spots for qualified Liberty students. AWESOME!

I guess this explains why cops now patrol the halls of VCOM. Can they do this? I guess so, they're private and don't receive any money from the feds. No, not at all. No federal loans, no federal grants.

I couldn't warn my friend in the new class but be sure you know what you're signing up for with VCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear you got kicked out for bad grades....LOL :D

but it's med school, and if you or whoever can't handle the academics you shouldn't be there...gay or straight. I doubt anyone gets kicked out for their first bad grade, it has probably happened several times or in more than one class. But I don't know the details.

btw...I don't know why anyone would admit an affiliation with jerry falwell. lol

It's truly unfortunate when an academic institution cracks under the pressure of a religious coalition that is hell-bent in spreading their twisted view of reality by any means. Medicine should never be utilized as a medium to exploit the weak with religious propaganda when their bodies are riddled by disease and sickness. If, in fact, that is what is going on at VCOM...I feel for the students that have to be exposed to that nonsense.

QUOTE:
We will never rid ourselves of religion, and religious alienation, until we first understand, and then remove, the conditions on earth that gave rise to it. Once the cause is removed, and the disease is cured, the sympton religion will wither of its own accord. - Karl Marx

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, that sucks. i've already heard enough bad stuff about how disorganized they still are, and i definitely don't dig either jerry falwell or liberty u.. if they send me a secondary, i just might ignore it.

VCOM sich heil,

I am confused to exactly what your real beef is. Your statement is all over the place and goes from Jerry Falwell to cops. In the future, I would recommend searching a little further for the facts prior to reacting as well as not believing everything you are told or read in print. Your SDN name “VCOM sich heil” wreaks of of bitterness and immaturity. Allow me to address your points.

Agreement with Liberty University. VCOM probably does have an agreement with Liberty University, but not to the magnitude written about recently in The News Advance, a Lynchburg newspaper. I will agree there were a few items of concern, however in talking with VCOM administration, the article contain some inaccuracies. In no way is VCOM to be misconstrued as “part” of Liberty University and the number to be accepted from Liberty is much less. In fact, several other agreements exist with many other colleges in SW Virginia including Virginia Tech. Analyzing further, you will find these types of agreements exist at almost all medical colleges and are often referred to as “early acceptance programs”. These agreements go along with VCOM’s well published mission to recruit medical students from the SW VA region.

Mission work. Mission work is not set up through VCOM; it is organized through International Christian Services. Students of all religions have participated in 4-5 mission trips through ICS. In addition, VCOM is in the process of setting up 4th year mission work that will not be religion affiliated.

Dismissed students. Odds are you don’t have all the info you need to make an educated statement. Fortunately, VCOM administration doesn’t have to present their case to you.

Police. Yes there is a security officer that patrols VCOM’s campus. It’s for security. In case you weren’t aware, the country is in a heightened alert since 9/11/01. In addition, pertinent intelligence has been published to infer terrorists are seeking out hospitals and other medical establishments. Furthermore, two months ago, an animals rights activist wanted by the FBI for bombing a facility in CA, was seen in the Blacksburg area. The local Vet school and Virginia Tech were on alert as well.

Hopefully I have educated you on what you think to be true. Getting a thorough and accurate patient history is important in forming a medical diagnosis. The same applies here.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
Then it signs a deal to set aside 20 or more spots for qualified Liberty students. AWESOME!

"qualified Liberty students"

no offense to anyone that unfortunately attends Liberty, but what does this really mean? I mean, are the qualified students those that thump their bibles the loudest? Wear the most Jerry Fallwell shirts? I mean that place is really out of this world...

Goose-d said:

no offense to anyone that unfortunately attends Liberty, but what does this really mean? I mean, are the qualified students those that thump their bibles the loudest? Wear the most Jerry Fallwell shirts? I mean that place is really out of this world...
I went to school outside of lynchburg for a year and as well as know two alumni of liberty from my high school. Great people, but a little out there from the norm on their religious beliefs and "pushing" them onto to others. Obviously the falling out of touch was a given as they associated themselves with only their "kind" so they called it. Additionally, all the people from liberty I had met while attending school there just, there was something about them that just made me seem they were unhappy. Maybe its was the campus life they lived in. :laugh: 20 spots from that school is golden if you can get in if that is true. That seems a bit much to me though. Its not a huge school.

I seriously hope anyone who has read the thoughtless, half cocked ramblings of Sich_heil, has got the common sense to realize that this is the ramblings of just one of 307 students in the school (not including the new class of 2009). Please let me give you the actual facts that surround this persons claims, since this person seems to think that their OPINION is fact.
VCOM_sich_heil said:
Warning if you're thinking about coming to VCOM. They just publicly announced that they have a deal with Jerry Falwell's Liberty University.
First off, let me say that I don't agree with Mr. Falwell on many points (make that most points), but you cannot condemn a whole university full of students because of the founder of the school (more on this later).
First, VCOM harasses its one hippie student who dared start a unofficial newspaper.
The "hippie" that was "harassed" was not allowed to continue with his class because he failed out! The school gave him the same number of chances that they give any other student in that case. They even went so far as to allow him to rejoin the class of 2008 and repeat the second year. If you consider this harassment, then you have a very low tolerance.
Then it kicks out the an openly gay student in my class for academics when everyone else with problems qualifies for the VCOM no student left behind program.
This openly gay student failed out, and was given chances to remediate which he failed also. The school took no action on him when (after removing his headphones that he was using instead of listening to a lecture) he yelled out in class that a professor was stupid, because he held different beliefs than him. He was given the appropriate amount of time to write his appeal so that he could be reaccepted to repeat the following year. He did not respond within the required week and was dismissed. Not to mention his little fit he threw in the main office, or his threat to sue the school!
And on top of that every medical mission involves spreading the gospel but that's not planned ahead of time.
The school does not have a missions policy in the first three years of school. The schools medical missions policy only covers the fourth year. There is one Dr. at the school who through his own organization (as explained by Mcfly) sends doctors to other countries on missions trips. He and he alone asks students if they would like to join him in the mission. The man is a Christian and his mission trips are Christian oriented. If any other Dr. wants to take students on a non Christian medical mission trip they can, but nobody has stepped up to the plate.
Then it signs a deal to set aside 20 or more spots for qualified Liberty students. AWESOME!
This person makes a habit of going off half cocked with so little information it scares me. The truth of the matter is that the slots for the up coming year is a total of 3 yes 3. Three slots, big deal. We lost three people before half the year was up.
I guess this explains why cops now patrol the halls of VCOM.
Again going off half cocked. This person did not even try to ask the administration for the truth, Sich_heil decided to trust the word of a reporter who wrote a column that showed up on the web page for a newspaper! Oh yeah I want you as my Dr. Let's see here this little tabloid paper says that if you chug Epsom salts and grapefruit juice you will pass your gall stones. Yea you're going to go far!

As explained by Mcfly, sich-heil has no clue why the cops are there, too much trouble to ask I guess. Must be easier to just listen to rumors than get the facts.

Continued....

Can they do this? I guess so, they're private and don't receive any money from the feds. No, not at all. No federal loans, no federal grants.
Umm.... yea! They can do this. Look, the founder of the school has a mission, and it is clearly in his/our mission statement. He wants to provide physicians for the underserved Appalachia area. That is what the mission of the school is, and to accomplish that they will use measures such as fast track and feeder programs to do that. Liberty is just the first school to sign on to the program. I would speculate (not fact) that other schools may wait until VCOM has graduated their first class before making formal agreements with the school. Virginia tech has supplied 25 students for the class of 2009, that is a whole heck of a lot more than the 3 seats Liberty will fill for 2010.
I couldn't warn my friend in the new class but be sure you know what you're signing up for with VCOM.
The fact that you state you have friends that may be coming to the school... well scares me. I hope your friends can do a better job separating fact from rumor!

I would just add that if you are seriously displeased with the school... get out, find a different school that will suit your needs. The majority of the classes don't care about these little things that you and a few others make such big deals about!! If not then try to make things better by finding out the truth, and dealing with it in the school before going off half cocked in a public forum.

Goose-d said:

no offense to anyone that unfortunately attends Liberty, but what does this really mean?

When a person starts a sentence with no offence, then continues on to directly insult people it shows their character! You are ignorant, you obviously think that you can classify a whole group of people by which college they attend. That is really going to make you a good doctor! You have the ability to classify groups of people just by which group they belong to? You disgust me!

I mean, are the qualified students those that thump their bibles the loudest?

I have never attended Liberty, nor do I agree with the founder of the University. I do however know quite a few bright people who have graduated or are attending that school.

Wear the most Jerry Fallwell shirts? I mean that place is really out of this world

That place? By "that place" do you mean the university or the dark orifice your head is crammed up? I doubt that you have ever been there. I have not and cannot vouch for it from my own experience, but from what I have heard it is much like any other Christian University. Next time you post something could you at least put some thought into what you are saying? Your ignorant ramblings are pointless.

VCOM is going to guarantee more than 1 in 8 spots to students from Liberty University. On their report at campusdirt.com they received an overall grade of C+. US News and World Report lists it as a “fourth tier”, “less selective” school.

Police: So if the police patrol VCOM because of 9-11 why did it take till VCOM’s second year before police patrols? If the police patrols are for an animal rights activist how did VCOM know months in advance of a supposed sighting, even before the press was alerted, the activist would be in Blacksburg? Joe Eaton of the Roanoke Times wrote on June 16th, the FBI says there is no credible evidence the “vegan bomber” was ever in the New River Valley but somehow VCOM knew he would be coming and arranged for police patrols of VCOM months before. They must have some of the 4400 (http://www.usanetwork.com/series/the4400/) helping out.

Dismissed students: Odds are students who are liked are afforded opportunity after opportunity. Odds are students who don’t fit the blonde hair, blue eyes mold don’t get as many.

Mission work: Mission trips are not set up thru VCOM. So, no faculty organize them. No faculty go on the trips. Students all get informed in advance that they will be evangelical medical mission trips and agree to this. Get a thorough and accurate sense of the truth. How many mission trips have you attended?

Agreement with Liberty University. So a Lynchburg newspaper, doesn’t know what the biggest non-government, economic entity in its city is doing. How long can a local paper go on spreading misinformation? You mentioned that VCOM has agreements with other colleges in SW Virginia and Virginia Tech. What was your source? You said “I will agree there were a few items of concern…”. Finally, a truthful statement from you, macfly!

To "StopTheMadness": Do you even believe the things you write?

Maybe you should pay attention to what was written in the Lynchburg News & Advance article. You can find it on the web at http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/...NA_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784152050

I've copied it here, with emphasis added, so you can actually read it...READ IT!

LU, medical school deal will benefit students

Ron Brown
[email protected]
July 30, 2005

An agreement reached between Liberty University and the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) will guarantee qualified LU students placement in dental or medical school.

Officials from both schools confirmed the agreement Friday.

VCOM, which is located in Blacksburg, began accepting students in 2003.

The mission of the school is to prepare primary care physicians and medical missionaries to work in underserved areas both in this country and abroad. Specifically, the medical school is attempting to develop physicians for remote rural areas, such as Appalachia.

VCOM graduates also are trained to serve in Africa and countries like Guatemala and the Dominican Republic.

“I feel that the students that attend VCOM and Liberty University are compatible,” said the Rev. Jerry Falwell, LU’s founder. “The agreement will allow us, in our catalogue, to present VCOM as part of Liberty University.”

While VCOM will maintain its own unique identity, the agreement with LU could help both schools bolster their student base.

“The agreement will give our students a jump-start on their medical education,” said Boyd Rist, LU’s provost and vice president of academic affairs.

LU students will have to maintain either an A-minus or B-plus grade point average in a curriculum laden with advanced biology and chemistry courses to qualify for medical school.

They will also have to be evaluated during an interview process involving officials from both schools, said Dixie Rawlins, VCOM’s dean.

“They’ll have to do well in those interviews,” Rawlins said.

The agreement sets aside 20 slots for qualified LU students, Rawlins said.

“The number of slots can be renegotiated each year,” Rist said.

The two schools have an informal agreement that more slots will be provided as needed.

LU is the first school to sign on as a feeder school, although VCOM had 25 students last year from Virginia Tech.

“We want our feeder schools to come from Southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina,” Rawlins said.

VCOM graduates earn a doctor of osteopathic medicine degree, which allows them to examine patients, prescribe medicine and perform surgery like medical doctors.

D.O.s are also licensed by the state just like medical doctors.

“Osteopathic medicine looks at the whole person,” Rawlins said. “We not only look at a patient’s physical needs, we assess their mental well-being, their socio-economic status and spiritual needs.”

Rist said that’s what attracted LU to the possibility of working with VCOM.

“Our students have a social conscience,” Rist said.

Falwell was first approached during the winter by John Rocovich, VCOM’s founder, about working together.

“Liberty University has been a shooting star in the academic world,” Rocovich said. “We hope it will be our primary feeder school.”

Rocovich, the former chairman of Virginia Tech’s governing board, visited Falwell and his staff in Lynchburg. In turn, Falwell and his staff toured VCOM’s facilities in Blacksburg.

Currently VCOM has 60,000 square feet of teaching space and another 14,000 square feet of research space in the Virginia Tech Research Center.

“We’re building us a cluster of researchers,” Rocovich said.

The school currently has research projects on heart disease, cancer and bone and joint disease.

Recently, the school has worked in conjunction with Tech to study the impact of on-field collisions on football helmets.

“Ultimately, our goal is to be a full-scale health care university. I hope Liberty University will be a solid provider of our students.”

VCOM plans to initiate its dental school in 2008.

“The agreement gives us an excellent tool for recruitment,” Rist said. “It tells potential students that they have an avenue through Liberty University to medical school.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Again you go off half cocked with out the facts!!!
VCOM_sich_heil said:
VCOM is going to guarantee more than 1 in 8 spots to students from Liberty University.

According to the meeting yesterday the announcement was that there would be 3 spots. I am glad you know more than the administration.

On their report at campusdirt.com they received an overall grade of C+.

Probably because people like you bash the school and put out bad information!

US News and World Report lists it as a “fourth tier”, “less selective” school.

Your point is?? It is a new school check back in 5 - 10 years. Many schools start out that way.

Police: So if the police patrol VCOM because of 9-11 why did it take till VCOM’s second year before police patrols? If the police patrols are for an animal rights activist how did VCOM know months in advance of a supposed sighting, even before the press was alerted, the activist would be in Blacksburg? Joe Eaton of the Roanoke Times wrote on June 16th, the FBI says there is no credible evidence the “vegan bomber” was ever in the New River Valley but somehow VCOM knew he would be coming and arranged for police patrols of VCOM months before. They must have some of the 4400 (http://www.usanetwork.com/series/the4400/) helping out.

Wrong!!! Just days after the police showed up there was a report on the 10 O'clock news about the suspected bomber sighting.

Dismissed students: Odds are students who are liked are afforded opportunity after opportunity. Odds are students who don’t fit the blonde hair, blue eyes mold don’t get as many.

WTF? You're just being ignorant with that statement!

Mission work: Mission trips are not set up thru VCOM. So, no faculty organize them. No faculty go on the trips. Students all get informed in advance that they will be evangelical medical mission trips and agree to this. Get a thorough and accurate sense of the truth. How many mission trips have you attended?

Again your point? Yes faculty and students go on trips. Just like many of them did before they were at VCOM. No school money is used, it is not sanctioned by the school. Again you're just pissin in the wind!

Agreement with Liberty University. So a Lynchburg newspaper, doesn’t know what the biggest non-government, economic entity in its city is doing. How long can a local paper go on spreading misinformation? You mentioned that VCOM has agreements with other colleges in SW Virginia and Virginia Tech. What was your source? You said “I will agree there were a few items of concern…”. Finally, a truthful statement from you, macfly!

I know you asked Mcfly for a source but I can tell you my source is the administration. Your source???? Probably the little voices in your head. No, were not all out to get you just because you're not blond with blue eyes! Wait didn't the gay guy have dirty blond hair and blue eyes??? :eek:

VCOM_sich_heil said:
To "StopTheMadness": Do you even believe the things you write?

Maybe you should pay attention to what was written in the Lynchburg News & Advance article. You can find it on the web at http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/...NA_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784152050

I've copied it here, with emphasis added, so you can actually read it...READ IT!

LU, medical school deal will benefit students

Ron Brown
[email protected]
July 30, 2005

Again, you quote a reporter who has an online article. Is this man a god? Is he unfaultable? Ask yourself this did he do a really good job at telling his readers that DOs ARE medical doctors? Or did come off more like DOs are like medical doctors? My point is the man may have had good intentions but his facts are not straight. I have had talks with people on the board for the school. I chose to believe what I hear from people who actually know what is going on, rather than to just repeat what I read in a web article!

Thank you for posting the article so that all can read how ridiculous it is that we are even having to have this conversation.

By the way the article that you give so much credance to mentions that Liberty is only the first school to sign on!!!

wow stopthemadness, damage control much?
admittedly, VCOM_sich_heil is going of slightly half cocked on a few things, but the fact remains VCOM is buddying up to JERRY FALWELL. it doesn't matter how many slots are reserved for his students. whoever thought partnering with liberty was a good idea is sorely mistaken. it's a "less selective" school (according to US News rankings; and this is NOT a “new” school; it was founded 34 years ago!) that was founded by a famous bigot (Falwell) that had this to say after 9/11:

"I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

and this is just the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

Please read the posts above. I don't agree with Falwell on many many issues. I do however know people who have graduated from there, and they are bright well educated people. I know that not all of the students there will be like them, but they can't be the only ones. Our relationship is with LU not Falwell (he really doesn't have that much time left... you think?). I am just tired of people so eager to bash the school because they read a half baked article or hear some rumor. Give the school a chance this is only year two! As for the ranking I thought he was talking about VCOM. I am sorry I miss read that if I did. The fact of the matter is that the number of held seats is a max number. They do not have to be filled if there are not enough qualified students. The qualifications are an interview, MCAT score, and A- average (with B+ exceptions allowable). This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It is only 3 slots (or 8 if you listen to SH), not that many seats from a 150+ person class. With this agreement VCOM will be able to work with LU's curriculum to ensure that incoming students have the education that VCOM expects of their candidates.

levelhead said:
wow stopthemadness, damage control much?
admittedly, VCOM_sich_heil is going of slightly half cocked on a few things, but the fact remains VCOM is buddying up to JERRY FALWELL. it doesn't matter how many slots are reserved for his students. whoever thought partnering with liberty was a good idea is sorely mistaken. it's a "less selective" school (according to US News rankings; and this is NOT a “new” school; it was founded 34 years ago!) that was founded by a famous bigot (Falwell) that had this to say after 9/11:

"I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

and this is just the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

StartTheMadness, you sound like you have the entire world against you. I hope it gets better for you. Open your eyes, try living in the real world. Everyone is not against you. Only the people you mislead and name call. Way to insult everyone else posting comments. Maybe you can find another forum and bash some more people. Everyone here is trying to have an intelligent conversation and discuss the facts. You have facts you can stay. You want bad-mouth people go to time-out.

Stopthemadness said:
Again you go off half cocked with out the facts!!!
VCOM_sich_heil said:
VCOM is going to guarantee more than 1 in 8 spots to students from Liberty University.
According to the meeting yesterday the announcement was that there would be 3 spots. I am glad you know more than the administration.
Apparently, I do. READ THE ARTICLE!

VCOM_sich_heil said:
On their report at campusdirt.com they received an overall grade of C+.
Stopthemadness said:
Probably because *****s like you bash the school and put out bad information!
Yup, the whole world is against you. I did this. I told campusdirt what to write and I told the US News & World report what to write. We're all against you.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
US News and World Report lists it as a “fourth tier”, “less selective” school.
Stopthemadness said:
Your point is?? It is a new school check back in 5 - 10 years. Many schools start out that way.
Liberty is a new school founded in 1971. So according to you, all it takes is 39-44 years for a school to no longer be "fourth tier", "less selective".

VCOM_sich_heil said:
Stopthemadness said:
Wrong!!! Just days after the police showed up there was a report on the 10 O'clock news about the suspected bomber sighting.
Of course, we're all wrong and you're right. So the fact that the police were there weeks before June and the "suspected bomber" (who was never seen except by one person, you??) wasn't reported in the area until the the first/second week on June is because of 9-11 according to mcfly and a vegan bomber according to you.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
Stopthemadness said:
WTF? You're just being ignorant with that statement!
Nice argument.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
Stopthemadness said:
Again your point? Yes faculty and students go on trips. Just like many of them did before they were at VCOM. No school money is used, it is not sanctioned by the school. Again you're just pissin in the wind!
No school money is used. Who are you trying to fool? We've all seen the flyers printed at VCOM. Every one at VCOM received the e-mail sent from VCOM. You saw all the time people spent in meetings about the trip. The meetings for raising money for the trip. VCOM payed and VCOM students paid. They are worthwhile missions but don't lure me with a non-religious mission trip and ask me to "save the villagers" from going to Hell.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
Stopthemadness said:
I know you asked Mcfly for a source but I can tell you my source is the administration. Your source???? Probably the little voices in your head. No, were not all out to get you just because you're not blond with blue eyes! Wait didn't the gay guy have dirty blond hair and blue eyes???
READ. My source is a well-established, public newspaper. Your's "the administration" which won't put anything down on paper but will tell you, because you're special.

Finally, the ranting has stopped. Welcome back, Stopthemadness. That was a clear and polite note to levelhead.

Stopthemadness said:
Please read the posts above. I don't agree with Falwell on many many issues. I do however know people who have graduated from there, and they are bright well educated people. I know that not all of the students there will be like them, but they can't be the only ones. Our relationship is with LU not Falwell (he really doesn't have that much time left... you think?). I am just tired of people so eager to bash the school because they read a half baked article or hear some rumor. Give the school a chance this is only year two! As for the ranking I thought he was talking about VCOM. I am sorry I miss read that if I did. The fact of the matter is that the number of held seats is a max number. They do not have to be filled if there are not enough qualified students. The qualifications are an interview, MCAT score, and A- average (with B+ exceptions allowable). This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It is only 3 slots (or 8 if you listen to SH), not that many seats from a 150+ person class. With this agreement VCOM will be able to work with LU's curriculum to ensure that incoming students have the education that VCOM expects of their candidates.
Apparently you misread again, the article states 20 spots; I said "more than 1 in 8 spots". That's a lot of guaranteed Liberty student spots.

How come Liberty students have suddenly become so desirable?

stopthemadness: Please read the posts above. I don't agree with Falwell on many many issues. I do however know people who have graduated from there, and they are bright well educated people. I know that not all of the students there will be like them, but they can't be the only ones.

I have read the posts. If you read mine, it is clear my point is that VCOM is affiliating itself with a school founded by a well known radical fundamentalist. When people hear Liberty University, they think Jerry Falwell - crazy ass bigot. And guess what; now when people think about VCOM it will conjure up the same feelings many have toward Jerry Falwell.

Good luck with residency applications future VCOM grads!

stopthemadness: I am just tired of people so eager to bash the school because they read a half baked article or hear some rumor.

It is no rumor that LU's founder and chancellor is Jerry Falwell and that VCOM is canoodling with him.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
StartTheMadness, you sound like you have the entire world against you. I hope it gets better for you. Open your eyes, try living in the real world. Everyone is not against you. Only the people you mislead and name call. Way to insult everyone else posting comments. Maybe you can find another forum and bash some more people. Everyone here is trying to have an intelligent conversation and discuss the facts. You have facts you can stay. You want bad-mouth people go to time-out.

Sorry, but no I am in the majority. You not so much. As for the name calling... I get a little heated up when people don't have the facts.

Apparently, I do. READ THE ARTICLE!

Yup, the whole world is against you. I did this. I told campusdirt what to write and I told the US News & World report what to write. We're all against you.

Yea OK.

Liberty is a new school founded in 1971. So according to you, all it takes is 39-44 years for a school to no longer be "fourth tier", "less selective".

Read the post above - I thought you were commenting on VCOM. Didn't realize it was LU you were talking about. If you care my response is above.

Of course, we're all wrong and you're right. So the fact that the police were there weeks before June and the "suspected bomber" (who was never seen except by one person, you??) wasn't reported in the area until the the first/second week on June is because of 9-11 according to mcfly and a vegan bomber according to you.

Finally you're right... you are wrong. Police were there 3 days before the news report on channel 12/27. Ask the cop why he is there! What was your explanation again? The police are there to gaurd against a gay guy who was kicked out? Hippie who was harassed about a paper, or was it the LU student thing? You make no sense!

Nice argument.

What is there to argue? Your comment was ignorant. Blond hair and blue eyed people get preferential treatment? That isn't just ignorat it is baseless!

No school money is used. Who are you trying to fool? We've all seen the flyers printed at VCOM. Every one at VCOM received the e-mail sent from VCOM. You saw all the time people spent in meetings about the trip. The meetings for raising money for the trip. VCOM payed and VCOM students paid. They are worthwhile missions but don't lure me with a non-religious mission trip and ask me to "save the villagers" from going to Hell.

The paper for the flyers was donated by the members who printed them. The ink on them most likely did come from the school. Email? You're pushing it. If you want to go that far then the school shouldn't pay for you to surf the net everyday in class! How about the ink on the whiteboard directing people to the address of that article? Oh no the school paid for that? Get real. People spent time in the meating on their breaks and after school. Profs are salary they do not have set hours don't worry VCOM money wasn't spent on them! Your accusations are baseless as is your argument (save one thing, the ink on the paper issue). If the ink on the paper bothers you bring it up with the SGA and put an end to the evil waste of school ink! At least then you would have a leg to stand on.

READ. My source is a well-established, public newspaper. Your's "the administration" which won't put anything down on paper but will tell you, because you're special.

My source could have lied to me, but that would make him look stupid infront of people he is friends with. Not to mention the fact that others would know that he lied and that soon the whole school would know not to trust him. He hasn't lied to me yet, even when other rumors had gone out my information has held firm. So why should I believe your reporter source? Has he never gotten anything wrong? Besides I really dont care if it were 8 or 20 seats instead of 3. Still makes no difference.

Regardless of anything going on at VCOM, the education we are recieving is awesome. Many of my MD friends who are 3rd and 4th years at schools here in VA, are amazed at all we have learned in our first year. Alot of the stuff they didnt learn till 2nd year and when they did it was not taught in the system based way we are taught. They had micro and talked about renal and in anatomy they were talking about skin and in physio they were talking about neuro. The way things have been presented to us has been a VERY efficiant way to learn.

So you may not agree with policies made by the administration, but the education we are recieving is great. Just start volunteering in the clinics around here and you will realize just how much you really know.

As for those who were rejected by the school, dont start bashing it simply because you were rejected, especially when you stated you liked it during the interview process.

Don't believe all you read either. Just because something shows up in print online, doesn;t make it the truth.

I do not regret my decision to attend VCOM and I think that those who are starting in a few weeks and those who will apply in the future should know that the education you will recieve here will well prepare you to be excellant physicians in your communities.

Since you know who I am from my screen name, please feel free to talk to me about this any time. People should really try to focus on the postives in life. You will be happier and more content with your education.

Have a great one. :D

levelhead said:
I have read the posts. If you read mine, it is clear my point is that VCOM is affiliating itself with a school founded by a well known radical fundamentalist. When people hear Liberty University, they think Jerry Falwell - crazy ass bigot. And guess what; now when people think about VCOM it will conjure up the same feelings many have toward Jerry Falwell.

I did not miss your point. I can't do anything about who/what Falwell is. I do know that LU does have a good education. He is not the school! I do not think it will impact VCOM grads at all. Once we have all of the feeder schools in place LU will be nothing compared to the others. Give it a chance. That's all I am saying.

Good luck with residency applications future VCOM grads!

It is no rumor that LU's founder and chancellor is Jerry Falwell and that VCOM is canoodling with him.

That is not the rumor that I was talking about. You're right that is not a rumor. Nor is any of the stuff that is writen about him. I was commenting on the rumor mill that is alive and kicking at our school.

VCOM_sich_heil said:
Finally, the ranting has stopped. Welcome back, Stopthemadness. That was a clear and polite note to levelhead.

Apparently you misread again, the article states 20 spots; I said "more than 1 in 8 spots". That's a lot of guaranteed Liberty student spots.

I see where you get that now. I still have more faith in the Admin than the reporter.

How come Liberty students have suddenly become so desirable?

They are just the first school to sign on. They will not be the last. Hang in there and see. The number of seats is a max number of seats. If there are not enough qualified people then the seats will go to pull people off the wait list. The school is not about to bring in unqualified people just because they go to liberty.

Stopthemadness said:
My source could have lied to me, but that would make him look stupid infront of people he is friends with. Not to mention the fact that others would know that he lied and that soon the whole school would know not to trust him. He hasn't lied to me yet, even when other rumors had gone out my information has held firm. So why should I believe your reporter source? Has he never gotten anything wrong? Besides I really dont care if it were 8 or 20 seats instead of 3. Still makes no difference.
STOP THE MADNESS! When would you care? VCOM says it promotes diversity. How many Liberty students would it take to loose diversity and have VCOM just become part of Liberty?

Falwell's LU and VCOM. That's sure to promote diversity, not!

Stopthemadness said:
Finally you're right... you are wrong. Police were there 3 days before the news report on channel 12/27. Ask the cop why he is there! What was your explanation again? The police are there to gaurd against a gay guy who was kicked out? Hippie who was harassed about a paper, or was it the LU student thing? You make no sense!
My question was why do police patrol VCOM. Mcfly insinuated it was because of 9-11 or the vegan bomber. Again, how were the police here before the fact? Maybe your friend in administration can fill you in and you can let everyone know.

Realize that VCOM is finally pulling back the curtain and letting you see that it's not about diversity. We know where Falwell stands. Rocovich was the person responsible for removing Virginia Tech's policy against discriminating for sexual orientation. Lucky for Virginia Tech the state governor told the Virginia Tech's board that as a public school they should rethink that one.

In a couple more years, VCOM students could be fined for missing convocation, attendance at a dance, possession or use of tobacco or alcohol, possession or viewing of sexually explicit material, or a dress code violation. You can see what Liberty fines at http://www.liberty.edu/studentaffairs/index.cfm?PID=1378.

Scared yet? You should be!

Stopthemadness said:
They are just the first school to sign on. They will not be the last. Hang in there and see. The number of seats is a max number of seats. If there are not enough qualified people then the seats will go to pull people off the wait list. The school is not about to bring in unqualified people just because they go to liberty.

Quoted from the Lynchburg News & Advance newspaper article:

“The number of slots can be renegotiated each year,” said Boyd Rist, LU’s provost and vice president of academic affairs.

Sounds like that number of seats can change.

Also:

“Liberty University has been a shooting star in the academic world,” Rocovich said. “We hope it will be our primary feeder school

"Shooting star in the academic world"??? Where is Rocovich getting this crap? Have you seen the stats on LU? (Let's not forget the US News ranking either)

Good for you VCOM. A 4th tier school as your primary feeder school. Whatever happened to your Virginia Tech "affiliation?"

Stopthemadness: Wow, is the administration paying you by the word? Bill King, is that you?

OK, just joking. But all kidding aside, I think levelhead has some excellent points: all this quibbling over how many slots are reserved, when the police started roaming VCOM's halls, etc. is missing the main crux of the issue, which is: JERRY FREAKIN' FALLWELL! Reread the quote levelhead posted, or do some research and look up any other of the many 'gems' he's spewed forth over the years, and think about it: is this bigot really the sort of man you want your school associated with? How will that reflect on you? I know you've said you don't agree with a lot of Falwell's rhetoric, and that's great. But I don't understand how you can so easily separate Liberty University from the man who founded it and who obviously has a big hand in determining the school's purpose and mission. When informed, enlightened people hear "Falwell," they think "wacko..." and when they hear "Liberty University," they think "Falwell." It's disingenuous to pretend this hate-filled man's reputation doesn't tarnish anything he touches. I'm afraid your feeling that this won't affect VCOM grads is wishful thinking.

Oh, and let's not forget that VCOM's founder actually sought Falwell out in order to forge a relationship between the two institutions. This is scary. There are many universities in southwest Virginia and western North Carolina. Why did Rocovich choose to target LU in particular? Why does he hope that LU will become VCOM's main feeder school? What does all this say about his vision for VCOM? We already know that Medical Students for Choice, a legitimate organization with chapters at top-tier medical schools across the country, was, for no good reason, denied the status of an official student organization at VCOM and had to seek affiliation with Virginia Tech instead. Gee, I wonder what that was all about? Rocovich sure seems to have a vision for what he wants VCOM to become, and all I have to say is: be afraid. Be very afraid. Even if you've somehow been able to convince yourself that this Falwell thing won't affect VCOM grads, I'd be more than a little worried about what ol' Roc has in store for you all.

I would just add that if you are seriously displeased with the school... get out, find a different school that will suit your needs.
Stopthemadness, I think this attitude is truly sad. You might have a legitimate point if, back when they applied, current students had been aware of the road down which VCOM would eventually head. Since this is not the case, you're just being callous. For many people, picking up and leaving is not as simple as you make it out to be; some students are here with their significant others and/or families, some have bought houses, etc. Have a little compassion. While certain students may have no problem with the appearance that VCOM's atmosphere is becoming more and more fundamentalist, others feel extremely uncomfortable and unwelcome. The curriculum may be great as AmyB says, but it's hard to take advantage of that fact when you feel like your school is evolving, out of your control, into a place where people with your core values and beliefs are unwelcome.

And one more time, this is NOT about the number of slots reserved, and this is NOT about Liberty students being unqualified. This is about VCOM associating itself with a man who stands for hatred, demonization, and exclusion. Period.

fightthepower said:
Stopthemadness: Wow, is the administration paying you by the word? Bill King, is that you?

Thank you for being concise and legit about your feelings. We just have different views about what this means for us. I can separate the man from the school, I am sorry you can't. Many if not most of the schools down here were started by stuffy ol' bigots, but that did not affect them. Soon the old man will be face to face with his creator and this argument will be water under the bridge. I say give it a chance. People say things at times to impress others such as we look forward to making this our primary feeder school. The rest of the story is ... until something better comes along.

When I interviewed at the school I was under the impression that the school was leaning toward the right. They made no efforts to hide this from us at our interviews. I am sorry if you didn't realize it at that time. I can't change that. Complaining about our school in public every chance that one gets does not help our school at all. That is why I am arguing against this post. Not because I feel like sticking up for Falwell. I have to admit I knew he was a controversial person, but I did not know how bad it was until yesterday. I still think everything will work out in the end. Just hang in there before going off the wall.

fightthepower said:

OK, just joking. But all kidding aside, I think levelhead has some excellent points: all this quibbling over how many slots are reserved, when the police started roaming VCOM's halls, etc. is missing the main crux of the issue, which is: JERRY FREAKIN' FALLWELL! Reread the quote levelhead posted, or do some research and look up any other of the many 'gems' he's spewed forth over the years, and think about it: is this bigot really the sort of man you want your school associated with? How will that reflect on you? I know you've said you don't agree with a lot of Falwell's rhetoric, and that's great. But I don't understand how you can so easily separate Liberty University from the man who founded it and who obviously has a big hand in determining the school's purpose and mission. When informed, enlightened people hear "Falwell," they think "wacko..." and when they hear "Liberty University," they think "Falwell." It's disingenuous to pretend this hate-filled man's reputation doesn't tarnish anything he touches. I'm afraid your feeling that this won't affect VCOM grads is wishful thinking.

Oh, and let's not forget that VCOM's founder actually sought Falwell out in order to forge a relationship between the two institutions. This is scary. There are many universities in southwest Virginia and western North Carolina. Why did Rocovich choose to target LU in particular? Why does he hope that LU will become VCOM's main feeder school? What does all this say about his vision for VCOM? We already know that Medical Students for Choice, a legitimate organization with chapters at top-tier medical schools across the country, was, for no good reason, denied the status of an official student organization at VCOM and had to seek affiliation with Virginia Tech instead. Gee, I wonder what that was all about? Rocovich sure seems to have a vision for what he wants VCOM to become, and all I have to say is: be afraid. Be very afraid. Even if you've somehow been able to convince yourself that this Falwell thing won't affect VCOM grads, I'd be more than a little worried about what ol' Roc has in store for you all.

Stopthemadness, I think this attitude is truly sad. You might have a legitimate point if, back when they applied, current students had been aware of the road down which VCOM would eventually head. Since this is not the case, you're just being callous. For many people, picking up and leaving is not as simple as you make it out to be; some students are here with their significant others and/or families, some have bought houses, etc. Have a little compassion. While certain students may have no problem with the appearance that VCOM's atmosphere is becoming more and more fundamentalist, others feel extremely uncomfortable and unwelcome. The curriculum may be great as AmyB says, but it's hard to take advantage of that fact when you feel like your school is evolving, out of your control, into a place where people with your core values and beliefs are unwelcome.

And one more time, this is NOT about the number of slots reserved, and this is NOT about Liberty students being unqualified. This is about VCOM associating itself with a man who stands for hatred, demonization, and exclusion. Period.

Funny and scary Fightthepower. Be afraid! It is about Liberty students being qualified and the number of slot reserved but Falwell is even more scary.

Like you said, Falwell may be dead soon, Stopthemadness. But it'll take Liberty University years to sever their association with him assuming they want to get out from under his shadow.

The Falwell-Rocovich axis will be a scary thing for VCOM. And the AOA will lose one of it's newer schools to "fourth tier" students likely inculcated with the biases of Jerry Falwell.

VCOM should have been honest to all its interviewees about its true mission last year not wait till now.

The truth of course lies somewhere in the middle. Should you beleive the slanted viewpoint of a reporter that is based in Lynchburg, VA which is the home of Liberty University and a thriving economic support to that community or "the administration" and their slant on the presentation? I think both are really saying the same things. VCOM will have a dental school and once that is in place there will be 20 slots for qualified Liberty University students. 4 classes of DO student, 4 classes of dental school students with 150 students per class equals 1200 students; 20 of which will come from Liberty University. So each class of 150 gets like, 3.3 students from Liberty University. VA Tech will probably send 20-25 per class per year. So once the dental school is up Tech will probably have 160-240 seats in the 2 schools combined. Those are the only 2 Universities in SOUTWEST Virginia, which is the designated mission target of the school. I think both classes have over 3 ultra-religious-right christians at present as well as over 3 flaming left-wing-liberals so I don't see the balance has changed that dramatically.

Is VCOM a conservative school? Absolutely! Are gay students harassed? I don't think so. Are they encouraged to be open and public? Absolutely not. Are very liberal ideologies encouraged and supported at the school? Nope. Do they throw you out of school because of you personal beliefs? Nope. Do they perhaps look more closely at applying the strictest academic guidelines to individuals who are extremely vocal with their discontent and criticism of the administration and schools operations? I would think that is a fair conclusion.

Are there terrific things about VCOM? Absolutely. We have some wonderful professors and outstanding clinical faculty. Are there some that are less than mediocre? I would say yes. But as a whole the staff continues to get better and better as it evolves. The education gets better and better as it evolves. Is it perfect? Nope. Far from it. The unorganization and scheduling changes are enough to make a layed back individual crazy much less a detailed anal med student, but it is ONLY the second year and they are trying very hard to make the education and curriculum progressive. Sometimes a little toooo progressive, but never the less there is a vision for excellence.

So in closing I reiterate, the reality is somewhere in between the 'everything is wonderful' and 'everything is an underhanded conspiracy' probably not unlike most schools that are providing medical education. Just my $0.02.

Stopthemadness said:
When I interviewed at the school I was under the impression that the school was leaning toward the right. They made no efforts to hide this from us at our interviews.

What exactly are you talking about? I certainly don't believe being "family friendly,” going on mission trips (which were not indicated as being evangelical at the time, as they turned out to be), having a systems-based curriculum, being located in the beautiful appalachian mtns, getting early clinical experience in the first year (which have been a big TWO times so far this year, when they said once a month at interviews) as "leaning toward the right?"

Oh, and let’s not forget all the talk during interviews about how much the administration and faculty care so much about and respect the students. How does this fit in light of how the students were never informed of this agreement with LU until the newspaper article began circulating at school. The administration has not dropped a single hint of apology for their disrespectful handling of this situation, much less formally addressed the student body concerning this matter (btw an email from student services saying not to talk/ask questions about a PUBLIC newspaper article until you approach your student leaders who hadn’t received any information either doesn’t count).

Hillbilly said:
Those are the only 2 Universities in SOUTWEST Virginia, which is the designated mission target of the school.

Sorry, I forgot about Radford and maybe another, but again proportionately, VCOM has just as many Radford graduates attending at present as Liberty will get and it is about the same size. I don't think it is a disproportionate amount of students when you look at the numbers as a comparison.

VCOM should have been honest to all its interviewees about its true mission last year not wait till now.
So, so true; with a little honesty, VCOM could have avoided much of this mess. Stopthemadness, I don't know who you interviewed with, but none of my VCOM student friends were made the slightest bit aware of the school's political leanings. I guarantee you that if they had known, they would not have chosen to go there. Maybe your interviewers were a bit more forthright, but remember, everyone has a slightly different interview experience.

I am not a VCOM student, but I was once interested in becoming one and I have a family member who goes there, so I have attended an open house as well as Accepted Students Day. At no point did I get the "right-leaning" feeling you describe. I came away from these events with the sense that VCOM was an open, family-friendly, welcoming place that would be respectful of the individuality and diversity of its students. Unfortunately, as I have observed the past academic year unfold, that perception has crumbled to dust in a lot of different ways. To be honest, it makes me sad. I had been pretty excited about the school.

I think it is a real tragedy that students who didn't knowingly sign up for a conservative, fundamentalist med school experience now find themselves in the burgeoning midst of one. That is why this turn of events, and others like it, must be must be publicized. If this is what VCOM is about, potential applicants deserve to know.

levelhead said:
What exactly are you talking about? I certainly don't believe being "family friendly,” going on mission trips (which were not indicated as being evangelical at the time, as they turned out to be), having a systems-based curriculum, being located in the beautiful appalachian mtns, getting early clinical experience in the first year (which have been a big TWO times so far this year, when they said once a month at interviews) as "leaning toward the right?"

Oh, and let’s not forget all the talk during interviews about how much the administration and faculty care so much about and respect the students. How does this fit in light of how the students were never informed of this agreement with LU until the newspaper article began circulating at school. The administration has not dropped a single hint of apology for their disrespectful handling of this situation, much less formally addressed the student body concerning this matter (btw an email from student services saying not to talk/ask questions about a PUBLIC newspaper article until you approach your student leaders who hadn’t received any information either doesn’t count).

I don't want to argue with you about every point. I stated that I got that impression. I did. Ask around and you may be surprised at what you will hear. Go outside what ever group you hang with, ask others around you. Many people that I have talked to, at least 30+ said the same thing.

Stopthemadness said:
I don't want to argue with you about every point. I stated that I got that impression. I did.
I'm really not trying to be annoying here, but could you please specify what exactly gave you that impression, i.e., what did people say, how did they act, what did you hear, etc. that made you think the school was right-leaning? I am wondering how in the world I missed something which you and others seem to find so obvious.

Hillbilly, I appreciated your fair-minded comments. I just think people deserve to know the whole truth about a school -- including the good and the bad -- so that they can make up their own minds, and VCOM has not allowed this. They don't even seem to want the students to talk about it; it seems like every time a controversy comes up, the response is akin to "Ssh, you shouldn't be talking about that, don't tell anybody, let your student government representatives handle it." Sounds like a pretty crappy way to treat a group of intelligent adults.

fightthepower said:
I am not a VCOM student, but I was once interested in becoming one and I have a family member who goes there, so I have attended an open house as well as Accepted Students Day. At no point did I get the "right-leaning" feeling you describe. I came away from these events with the sense that VCOM was an open, family-friendly, welcoming place that would be respectful of the individuality and diversity of its students. Unfortunately, as I have observed the past academic year unfold, that perception has crumbled to dust in a lot of different ways. To be honest, it makes me sad. I had been pretty excited about the school.

I think it is a real tragedy that students who didn't knowingly sign up for a conservative, fundamentalist med school experience now find themselves in the burgeoning midst of one. That is why this turn of events, and others like it, must be must be publicized. If this is what VCOM is about, potential applicants deserve to know.

as a liberal feminist pro-choice agnostic who submitted a primary to vcom, this information is really good to know. i'll certainly knock them off my secondary list and save some dough. i agree, too, that any association with anything affiliated with jerry falwell is suspect. what, they're going to sign a deal with bob jones u. next? thanks, everyone, for being honest about the political leanings of this school.

fightthepower said:
I'm really not trying to be annoying here, but could you please specify what exactly gave you that impression, i.e., what did people say, how did they act, what did you hear, etc. that made you think the school was right-leaning? I am wondering how in the world I missed something which you and others seem to find so obvious.

ditto.

exlawgrrl said:
as a liberal feminist pro-choice agnostic who submitted a primary to vcom, this information is really good to know. i'll certainly knock them off my secondary list and save some dough. i agree, too, that any association with anything affiliated with jerry falwell is suspect. what, they're going to sign a deal with bob jones u. next? thanks, everyone, for being honest about the political leanings of this school.

You think they'd tell in in the interview what they're about. It's the least you should do for someone giving you $120,000 (over four years).

Falwell still thinks that gays and lesbians caused 9-11. Good thing VCOM's founder sought him out so they could publicly announce their LU-VCOM agreement. It's telling on VCOM leaders and their values. At least now its being discussed openly and students will know what they're getting into at VCOM.

Then there are those of us who are simply here to get a medical education and could care less about the "political" leanings of VCOM.

It's a great school, with a great curriculum. Yes, there are some who lean to the far right, but there are also a whole bunch of us that don't. They don't bother me, I don't bother them.

Let's also be fair and honest. Those that were kicked out simply did not do the work. Instead of stuyding, they spent most of their time fighting with the administration. Maybe law school would have been a better option for them.

Please don't make assumptions about VCOM based on what you read or hear. Visit the school, talk to the students, look at our curriculum and then make your assumptions.

backtoreality08 said:
Then there are those of us who are simply here to get a medical education and could care less about the "political" leanings of VCOM.

It's a great school, with a great curriculum. Yes, there are some who lean to the far right, but there are also a whole bunch of us that don't. They don't bother me, I don't bother them.

Let's also be fair and honest. Those that were kicked out simply did not do the work. Instead of stuyding, they spent most of their time fighting with the administration. Maybe law school would have been a better option for them.

Please don't make assumptions about VCOM based on what you read or hear. Visit the school, talk to the students, look at our curriculum and then make your assumptions.

Probably the most reasonable idea yet!

I hope this thread gets closed, simply because it has become a p*ssing contest. As BTR08 said, "Visit the school, talk to the students, look at our curriculum and then make your assumptions."

backtoreality08 said:

I agree with you.

Everyone has their own beliefs/opinions, and as long as people remain tolerant of those beliefs/opinions society will function. Otherwise it will create problems. And with the days of our first year dwindling, I would rather focus on going on vacation.

Nicely said badger and backto reality.

I must be blunt here... Although we like to believe schools include the student body into policy making and big decisions....truth of the matter is, they do not. My undergrad university president was always making and changing policies and he never asked us what we wanted or didnt want. I dare say most schools new or old do not consult the students with decisions they make. That is just reality.

I must stress, VCOM is giving us a wonderful education. They have made a whole bunch of postive changes based on suggestions made to them by the MSIIs. They do listen to us on matters such as that. Are there things we dont like here, sure but it is not a perfect world and you dont get everything you like, but how you deal with things is what makes you strong.

Be well

Hillbilly said:
Sorry, I forgot about Radford and maybe another, but again proportionately, VCOM has just as many Radford graduates attending at present as Liberty will get and it is about the same size. I don't think it is a disproportionate amount of students when you look at the numbers as a comparison.
What about W & L? There are other colleges as well ... 2 all woman's schools, Lynchburg college, VMI ... I'm sure I could come up with some others.

evolve said:
It's truly unfortunate when an academic institution cracks under the pressure of a religious coalition that is hell-bent in spreading their twisted view of reality by any means. Medicine should never be utilized as a medium to exploit the weak with religious propaganda when their bodies are riddled by disease and sickness. If, in fact, that is what is going on at VCOM...I feel for the students that have to be exposed to that nonsense.

QUOTE:
We will never rid ourselves of religion, and religious alienation, until we first understand, and then remove, the conditions on earth that gave rise to it. Once the cause is removed, and the disease is cured, the sympton religion will wither of its own accord. - Karl Marx

you would have to eliminate God then. fat chance... haha

goooo vcom!!

Backtoreality08, I am well aware that there are VCOM students who don’t care about the school’s political leanings. For those of you who fall into that category, wonderful! Enjoy yourselves. But also realize that for a sizeable number of your classmates, this stuff DOES matter, and their VCOM experience is profoundly affected by it. Their viewpoint is just as valid as yours, and they have the right both to talk about it amongst themselves and to inform potential applicants of what they may be getting themselves into. Are the VCOM apologists here really arrogant enough to believe that no one should care about a particular issue just because it isn’t important to you? I hope not. Please, let people learn the facts and make up their own minds. Let people decide what matters to them and don’t deride them for having priorities different from your own.

backtoreality08 said:
Have you even read the thread? All of those criticizing this “let’s-be-buddies-with-Falwell” move, as well as the general atmosphere at VCOM, have visited the school, have talked to students, or are students themselves!

VCOM_sich_heil said:
You think they'd tell in in the interview what they're about. It's the least you should do for someone giving you $120,000 (over four years).

Falwell still thinks that gays and lesbians caused 9-11. Good thing VCOM's founder sought him out so they could publicly announce their LU-VCOM agreement. It's telling on VCOM leaders and their values. At least now its being discussed openly and students will know what they're getting into at VCOM.

so you ARE the one gay student who was kicked out?