VCOM-Virginia vs NSU KPCOM-Davie

jul_kiwis

Nov 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone! I am currently finishing up the last year of my undergraduate degree at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, VA. I have received acceptances to three schools so far: LMU DCOM, VCOM-Virginia Campus, and NSU KPCOM-Davie Campus. I have accepted the offers from/paid the deposits for LMU DCOM and VCOM-Virginia. I will be writing LMU DCOM to rescind my acceptance as I believe that VCOM-Virginia would be a better fit for me. However, I just received my acceptance to NSU KPCOM-Davie yesterday and am attempting to decide if I should put down the deposit on NSU KPCOM and attend NSU KPCOM-Davie instead of VCOM-Virginia.

So everyone is aware of my financial position, as it may play a factor, I will be utilizing the GI Bill for medical school. The GI Bill will cover the same amount of my tuition (around $20,000 per year) regardless of which school I attend. It also provides a monthly housing allowance, which is proportional to the price of housing in the area (higher for NSU KPCOM-Davie than for VCOM-Virginia), but it only covers 36 months, so I likely will have to pay for housing my final year of school.

VCOM - Virginia Campus
    Pros
    • Close to my younger brother (will be a first-year at Virginia Tech next year) and possibly my parents (military parent, but it is likely their orders will remain in Virginia)
    • Smaller class size
    • Most likely closer to my significant other (They are considering PhD programs in NC, NY, IL, and MD)
    • I enjoy the outdoor activities, like hiking, that is available in Blacksburg
    • Fellow future students seem very welcoming
    • The faculty who interviewed me seemed to be very interested in me as a person not just as an application
    • The curriculum seems to be more structured than NSU
    • Cheaper COL and tuition (around $20,000 less than NSU)
    • Board pass rates higher than national average
    Cons
    • Required to wear business casual to class
    • Very focused on family med/primary care (not sure what specialty I am interested in/have some interest in family med but don't want to limit myself for the future)
    Other
    • The 80% mandatory attendance policy for lectures was canceled as a result of COVID (it sounds like they plan to leave it canceled, but I haven't received any official confirmation that it will be, just unofficial)
    • I have lived in Blacksburg, VA for 4 years and know the area well, but am unsure if I will wish I had moved
    • Traditional cadaver lab
    • Partnership with Virginia Tech with regards to research and amenities

NSU KPCOM - Davie Campus
    Pros
    • Near grandparents/aunts & uncles
    • More high-tech than VCOM
    • Allowed to wear scrubs to class
    • No mandatory attendance policy for lectures
    • More international outreach sites than VCOM
    • Warmer climate results in a higher ability to get outside year-round
    • The dean was very frank and honest when speaking with us which I appreciated
    • More established DO school (I've heard this can be important in the future?)
    Cons
    • Lower than average board pass rates
    • They have had multiple people in the past few years fail to match to an accredited residency program
    • Nobody knows what the effects of switching to virtual anatomy lab/the new curriculum/adding a second campus will be on clinical rotations/prep for residency and boards
    • Heard very negative reviews from students on SDN
    • Higher COL and tuition than VCOM
    • They are losing clinical rotation sites
    Other
    • They use a virtual anatomy lab with the option to go into the cadaver lab to see already dissected cadavers
    • Part of a larger university with regards to research and amenities
    • They have the possibility to pursue dual-degree programs
    • Wasn't able to get a good feel for how I would fit in with their students during the interview
    Both have a sim lab and operate under a graded curriculum. I am unsure of whether having a traditional cadaver lab or a virtual anatomy lab would be better.

Summary: Any help you all can provide in deciding between the two of these, or in correcting my views on anything would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.