VCOM Virginia vs. NYITCOM Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredpremedgui

Reaction score
VCOM:

Pros:

• The total cost of attendance (~330k) is lower than NYITCOM
  • I'm from Virginia
  • I loved the vibe of the school from the interview day
  • Impressive COMLEX scores compared to the national average
Cons:
  • Every week has 2-3 exams
  • Mandatory (70%) attendance for lectures
  • When attending lectures, somewhat of a dress code
  • From what I know, pre-clinical grades (A, B, C)

NYITCOM:

Pros:

• Not as close as VCOM, but still only a few hours away from home
  • P/F preclinical
  • Optional lecture attendance
  • Will most likely have friends nearby in NYC
Cons:
  • The total cost of attendance (400k) is high and living on Long Island seems expensive in general
  • COMLEX scores seem very disappointing compared to VCOM

Overall, these threads have taught me to weigh P/F and optional attendance pretty heavily so I'm leaning toward NYITCOM. The cost of attendance is definitely important but my parents are willing to help me out so it's not the priority. However, I am considering non-primary care specialties so the difference in COMLEX scores has me worried. Based on their match lists, I can't tell if one is significantly stronger than the other so any insight into that would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd prioritize going to the cheaper school over anything. Either way you'll be a doctor and will have loans to pay back. You can be a doctor with an additional 70K in loans or not. It's up to you. P/F, mandatory attendance, etc. only matters to a certain point with all things being equal. Both schools are great schools, you do not need to look further than that.