VCU and EVMS Interviewees: Where is UVA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyday passes by, and i start to realize more and more how competitive uva is. i have decent stats, and have interviewed at both evms and vcu. so it would be nice to get something positive from uva. i remember every VA resident i met at my interviews at those school...it seems that they are all waiting for the elusive interview from uva. is it really that hard?

Members don't see this ad.

Uva does move a bit slower because they hand review every application. If you look at the interview invite thread, you'll see that Uva's is MUCH MUCH shorter than VCU or EVMS'.

I'm not freaked out too much just yet. Patience young padawan.

Uva does move a bit slower because they hand review every application. If you look at the interview invite thread, you'll see that Uva's is MUCH MUCH shorter than VCU or EVMS'.

I'm not freaked out too much just yet. Patience young padawan.

haha, nice

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same thing. If you look at any of the UVa threads you'll see evidence of my neuroticism. :rolleyes:

I called the other day and they said (despite the months of silence) that I'm still in the running. They are apparently veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry slow.

UVA also doesn't interview too many people. Something like 500 out of 4100, and most of them are out-of-state, I think. The number of matriculating IS kids is around 44%.

Hope this helps! :luck:

Also, what do you mean by "hand review?" As opposed to what, a computer? I suppose they could use a computer to filter out certain MCATs and GPAs, but that sort defeats the purpose of sending in a personal statement if it's not going to be read.

Also, what do you mean by "hand review?" As opposed to what, a computer? I suppose they could use a computer to filter out certain MCATs and GPAs, but that sort defeats the purpose of sending in a personal statement if it's not going to be read.

there are a fair number of schools that will filter out via computer people who don't have a certain MCAT, GPA, or combination of the two. Other schools have automatic interview invites for some. Others will invite only those who achieve a certain score (think LizzyM score). UVa has one person who goes through every file, reads all of it, and then decides who to interview. They apparently read the whole thing-some schools don't care about your PS or whatever if you didn't get a XX on the MCAT.

Also, UVa does offer fewer invites to IS students. VCU offers ~300, EVMS ~250, and UVa ~200. About 59% of their M1 class this year is IS (straight for the website).

So there is a group of people who get love from EVMS and VCU but the cold shoulder from UVa. Sucks, huh?