VCU Inova Fairfax Hospital or MCV hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hocapoca

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the VCU secondary application it asked to choice from Inova Fairfax Hospital or MCV hospital for clinical rotations. Is one of the hospitals better than the other or is there any specific difference I should know before I make my choice in this application.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hocapoca said:
In the VCU secondary application it asked to choice from Inova Fairfax Hospital or MCV hospital for clinical rotations. Is one of the hospitals better than the other or is there any specific difference I should know before I make my choice in this application.

Thank you

Don't really have much info about Inova Fairfax, just wanted to say that you can always change it after you matriculate (before rotations).

if you're not from northern virginia, there probably isn't much benefit from doing your rotations there... the cost of living in fairfax is ridiculously high because it's only 10 miles from DC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked at Fairfax for 6 years..any questions, shoot. I am choosing to take either MCV or Fairfax campus, although they are building a HUGE new annex for the med school.

Nova sucks. The whole region, not the hospital specifically... they have this superiority complex thing going on. Just ask anyone from other parts of VA.

Em1 said:
Nova sucks. The whole region, not the hospital specifically... they have this superiority complex thing going on. Just ask anyone from other parts of VA.

True that. True, true that. Go to nova if you want to ask yourself "applebee's or chili's?" every night for dinner, and "what ex-frat-boy bar do i want to hit up?" every saturday night. lacks both southern flavor and northern coolness.
on the upside, it's a pretty close drive (2-3 hrs) to some cool outdoorsy stuff. but richmond is probably the same way with that.

Superiority complex -- about what? We've got horrible traffic, horrible taxes, and horrible suburban sprawl. If my parents didn't live here, I'd leave and never look back.

To the OP: Fairfax Hospital is the major hospital for the Nova region, so you'd see a lot of stuff. I'm sure MCV's hospital would be the same, though. Unless you have some ties to Northern Virginia (i.e. family you can stay with during your rotations), it's probably not worth dragging all your stuff up here and paying through the nose for housing and gas. I've heard most of the people who do their rotations at Fairfax are from this area anyway.

P.S. As the facebook group says -- Northern Virginia is not the South! :)

i guess i'm in the minority for people who love northern VA, but really, this area has a LOT of great opportunities and is a great place to live and to grow up in (which is something to consider if you're a nontrad and have kids). the schools here in particular are fantastic.

but i'd agree that it's not worth uprooting yourself after two years if you don't have roots here. and it doesn't matter much because they're not going to make you commit to whatever you put down. fairfax is very expensive to live in, and since both hospitals are well known, you probably will want to stick with MCV.

Thanks for all the comments. Now I think i have more understanding about the area.

I'd say Inova....but I'm kind of partial since I'm moving to northern VA to finish my degree.

I downloaded the instructions to cmplete the supplemental application like 3 days ago and it said that we must mail a 200 word hand written (why hand written) essay, and an instate tutition form in addition to the two online essays we were required to write. I went to look at the instructions again today and i don't see anything about a hand written essay or an in state tuition form, they seem to have changed it. Have any of you guys been in contact with them and asked them if we still need to send the in state tuition form and the hand written essay.

If we still do have to write the hand written essay I'm going to write mine about why admissions should come out sooner.