VCU Interview Confusion......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EW1779

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK KIDS

I guess I can add one more to the list, I got an interview at VCU. But I am not sure about much more....

So, first I hear that VCU is calling people at home to let them know about interviews. Then I get an email message today that tells me to check my status on the website. It says the following:

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, your priority score is such that we are unable to predict how soon we will be able to schedule your interview. We will make every effort to bring you in for interview within the next 6-8 weeks. Interview scheduling is dependent on the availability of committee members so we are not always able to predict how soon we can get you scheduled. Please continue to check this site for information on scheduling.

What is this?!??! How ambiguous can they get? I guess I would like to know if anyone else has gotten this message. Has anyone else gotten interview invitations? I dunno. VCU is not my top choice, but I still want to take it seriously...and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thought for the day:
If med schools could not charge so $45-$100 per applicant for application fees, would they be able to afford those fancy cherry desks and office furniture??

:D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

EW1779: are you a non-resident applicant? also, can i ask what your stats are please? thanks

TRAUMA:

to answer your question, i am not a state resident, i live in NY. i did grow up in VA though, i think that may have sparked their interest as well. i have family in richmond so it is an attractive prospective med school for me.

my stats, huh?? well, ok, but don't tell anyone!! ;)

GPA: 3.8 Sci, 3.93 COMP
MCAT 30: 10,10,10, Q
(i took the mcat before taking ochem or physics, and i wrote that into my PS, so maybe that helped my borderlinne score, who knows)
5'10", 155#, blonde/green, i like moonlit walks and picnics....

oh sorry, got carried away! :rolleyes:

i also have some pretty good medical experiences.....stuff that made me want to be a doctor more than anything.

hope this answers your questions. let me know if not. smell ya later.

:D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
EW1779: I received the email which stated there was a change made within the last 24 hours in my file and to check my applicant status webpage. My status stated a specific interview date and time and was not ambiguous like yours. I would suggest giving them a call for clarification. Good luck.

The original email means that you are competitive, but are an out of state resident. But there is good news, VCU will be incresing the class size by about 30, all out of state seats. I was called before I got the email, I interviewd on Sept 24th will 6 others only 2 were out of state, 1 went to a state school but was Russian, the other was all Philly. I expect you will get an interview soon (I hope!).

When MCV reviews your app for interview, the file reviewer will give you a priority score. This score represents how interested they are in interviewing you relative to the rest of the interview pool. If you have a high priority score you are immediately scheduled for an interview. If not, your are placed on hold for a later interview date. Don't worry, they see you as competitive. There are just some other students who they would like to see first. Perhaps your out of state status did affect you priority score.

I'm adding to this because I too just got the ambiguous interview message....

Kobe, where did you get your info? If that is true, then their message is a little disingenuous--they didn't say anything about priority, they just said that they don't have a date yet because they don't know their committee members' schedules. Did the admissions office tell you about their procedures?