VCU (IS) vs. Maryland (OOS) vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chryontop

Reaction score
In need of insight - I feel very fortunate and honored but also very torn. It's so hard to decide without visiting in person... I want to practice/ not sure about specializing, and kind of don't want to stay in the DMV area to practice. Don't plan on doing much research in dental school. Other than the cost, please help me compare what these schools have to offer! Anything would help me in my decision, especially insider info.

Penn:
Has always been my dream school (vibe, location, technology/facilities, prestige)
Relatives/family live close by
but ExPensive
Not sure about clinical experience, have heard people say it is weaker than the other two?

Maryland:
Says we can apply for IS after first year, lots of scholarship opps
Never visited bc COVID, but facilities seem really nice
Clinical looks strong
Heard Baltimore is a lil sketchy?

VCU:
IS tuition, 30K/yr cheaper than Penn
Never visited bc COVID, but technology seems impressive
Under construction/renovation right now
Not sure about how the area feels like?

Members don't see this ad.

In need of insight - I feel very fortunate and honored but also very torn. It's so hard to decide without visiting in person... I want to practice/ not sure about specializing, and kind of don't want to stay in the DMV area to practice. Don't plan on doing much research in dental school. Other than the cost, please help me compare what these schools have to offer! Anything would help me in my decision, especially insider info.

Penn:
Has always been my dream school (vibe, location, technology/facilities, prestige)
Relatives/family live close by
but ExPensive
Not sure about clinical experience, have heard people say it is weaker than the other two?

Maryland:
Says we can apply for IS after first year, lots of scholarship opps
Never visited bc COVID, but facilities seem really nice
Clinical looks strong
Heard Baltimore is a lil sketchy?

VCU:
IS tuition, 30K/yr cheaper than Penn
Never visited bc COVID, but technology seems impressive
Under construction/renovation right now
Not sure about how the area feels like?
cheapest

Reactions: 1 user
I go to Penn. I love it. Feel free to ask me questions.

With that being said, I would personally go to the cheapest option, VCU. If you invest the $120,000 you'd save by going to VCU when you graduate at 26 years old, with a return of 10%, by the time you are 67 that $120,000 you invested is worth over $7 million.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Penn. I love it. Feel free to ask me questions.

With that being said, I would personally go to the cheapest option, VCU. If you invest the $120,000 you'd save by going to VCU when you graduate at 26 years old, with a return of 10%, by the time you are 67 that $120,000 you invested is worth over $7 million.
In what does one invest where they get 10% annual return risk-free for decades? Sounds too good to be true

In what does one invest where they get 10% annual return risk-free for decades? Sounds too good to be true
Who ever said risk free? Investing inherently involves risk. I recommend low-fee index funds. This provides you some security in that it is diversified. The S&P500 index has returned a historic annualized average return of around 10% since its inception through 2019. It will have up years. It will have down years. I returned right around 30% this past year. Next year could be down 20%. Nobody can predict that. But if you keep your money in the markets a 10% average return is not unreasonable.

Who ever said risk free? Investing inherently involves risk. I recommend low-fee index funds. This provides you some security in that it is diversified. The S&P500 index has returned a historic annualized average return of around 10% since its inception through 2019. It will have up years. It will have down years. I returned right around 30% this past year. Next year could be down 20%. Nobody can predict that. But if you keep your money in the markets a 10% average return is not unreasonable.
Risk-free was implied with your conclusion that he will have $7M+, not “could have if all goes well for over four decades”. 10% seems high and past results don’t confirm that’s how it’ll be for 40+ more years. But hey I hope what you’re saying is true!

I would also agree with attending the cheapest school as it will only benefit you in the long run. If you plan on practicing in your home state, then that would also be another reason to consider going to VCU. As you don't plan on doing research, I do not really see a real reason to attend UPenn with it's high cost. However, if you truly feel like this is your dream school and you feel as though you may be losing out on huge opportunity, then go ahead and attend UPenn.

I also don't believe attending Penn will be more advantageous than attending another school. It is truly based on how much effort/dedication you put in and what opportunities you take advantage of. You can prove that at any school

• Dislike