VCU/MCV Class of 2010???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we can just send in the "free annual credit report" from one of the credit agencies that we are each entitled to by the government? or do we have to pay money to get an actual credit report from one of the agencies?

Members don't see this ad.

JohnnyNU82 said:
Does anyone know if we can just send in the "free annual credit report" from one of the credit agencies that we are each entitled to by the government? or do we have to pay money to get an actual credit report from one of the agencies?

I went in and asked and they said that was fine. I just sent in one that I had printed using that service -- doesnt matter which of the 3 you print and send.

DrHopeless said:
Yeah sadly enough....... haha any hot girl will be in a serious relationship :eek:, perhaps some exception, but not many. Time to move to the pharmacy school or dental school right next door :laugh:

But yeah I heard at MCV, everyone (like 90%) is in a serious relationship by their 3rd year.

PS: As for your FAFSA lilmissangel, you can leave out your parent information if you want, but then you might not get any scholarship. But your loan is solely depending on you, at the least that is what the fafsa people told me.

Wow. thanx. u just called me non-hot!!

Members don't see this ad :)
lilmissangel said:

haha no I didn't mean anything like that, if you read my post, I admitted that there are exceptions to this trend. Perhaps you are one of the exception to the rule haha, want to post some pics for the rest of us to see, after all SDN really stand for student dating network :laugh:.

DrHopeless said:
yeah sadly enough....... haha any hot girl will be in a serious relationship , perhaps some exception, but not many. Time to move to the pharmacy school or dental school right next door

DrHopeless said:
haha no I didn't mean anything like that, if you read my post, I admitted that there are exceptions to this trend. Perhaps you are one of the exception to the rule haha, want to post some pics for the rest of us to see, after all SDN really stand for student dating network :laugh: ?

nope y'all have to wait until august. oh the anticipation....

Anyone else here started using SDN after seeing it on the VCU application status page???

I think at all medical schools there is a significant handful of men who are horny and eager. Likewise there are a fair number of single women who are looking to meet a fellow-student for the potential for a long term relationship (not that guys are not). Being in a medical center as a medical student exposes you to a lot of people - not just fellow med students - there are nursing students, some undergrads, other health care workers, etc.. The hardest part of medical school is having strong sexual drives and being surrounded by attractive people all the time. In a way it kind of sucks. At the end it works out for everyone though.

lilmissangel said:

don't worry lilmissangel, if you're going to VCU then I'm sure you're a hottie! I hear all the girls there are....at least that's what I'm hoping!! ;)

haha it seems that all of us have other thing on our mind in addition to medicine :laugh: a great start for the Class of 2010 :rolleyes:

DrHopeless said:
haha it seems that all of us have other thing on our mind in addition to medicine :laugh: a great start for the Class of 2010 :rolleyes:

Yay!!! :laugh:

Hi, all,

I got accepted today from the notorious waiting list. It's quite unexpected because I'm OOS (from CA). Also, it's kind of a wierd timing. But I'm so excited with my FIRST acceptance even though I'm not sure yet if I will be there this fall (but very high chance to be there this fall).

Anyhow, I have a question regarding credit report. I'm not sure what to do with this. Do I just go to one of the websites that the school recommended, get a copy of the report and send it to the school? It looks like it but just want to make sure. Yes, I sound pretty nerdy, I know. But I don't care. please help. :p Thanks and congrats to all my classmates! ;)

roo425 said:
Hi, all,

I got accepted today from the notorious waiting list. It's quite unexpected because I'm OOS (from CA). Also, it's kind of a wierd timing. But I'm so excited with my FIRST acceptance even though I'm not sure yet if I will be there this fall (but very high chance to be there this fall).

Anyhow, I have a question regarding credit report. I'm not sure what to do with this. Do I just go to one of the websites that the school recommended, get a copy of the report and send it to the school? It looks like it but just want to make sure. Yes, I sound pretty nerdy, I know. But I don't care. please help. :p Thanks and congrats to all my classmates! ;)
Go on www.annualcreditreport.com and you can get free credit reports from up to 3 major credit bureaus. Just print one off and mail it to VCU

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY. email from Ms. Mack. I'm so excited!!! Incase anyone was wondering about the password for the student forum, it can be found below the (newly placed) orientation button in your 'application status' page.

Found this on another thread...I guess we'll have at least one awesome prof. next year! :)

Dr. Linda Costanzo - A Tribute
With M1 classes coming to a close, I don't know how I would've gotten through Physio without her book. All the crap the profs recommended as reading was.... nonsense filled with formulae and jargon. Especially Berne and Levy . Dr. Costanzo put it in plain words and context that Medical Students, with the machine gunnery of information we're bombarded with, could easily understand. To be sure, some lectures went more in depth than the information presented in her book, but reading her book gives one the base necessary for destroying any other material.

All you VCU people- do you even KNOW how lucky you are to have her as a prof? Please thank her on behalf of America's medical students.

Anyways- Thank you Dr. Costanzo. Thank you.

JohnnyNU82 said:
Found this on another thread...I guess we'll have at least one awesome prof. next year! :)

Dr. Linda Costanzo - A Tribute
With M1 classes coming to a close, I don't know how I would've gotten through Physio without her book. All the crap the profs recommended as reading was.... nonsense filled with formulae and jargon. Especially Berne and Levy . Dr. Costanzo put it in plain words and context that Medical Students, with the machine gunnery of information we're bombarded with, could easily understand. To be sure, some lectures went more in depth than the information presented in her book, but reading her book gives one the base necessary for destroying any other material.

All you VCU people- do you even KNOW how lucky you are to have her as a prof? Please thank her on behalf of America's medical students.

Anyways- Thank you Dr. Costanzo. Thank you.

this is the blue BRS Physiology book right?

Vizsla said:
this is the blue BRS Physiology book right?

I have no clue. I'll find out when I buy it in August. :)

Havarti666 said:
No, it's the STARS (Saunders Text And Review Series) Physiology.

Dr. Costanzo also wrote the BRS book, but it's essentially just a condensed review of STARS. You should get them both. STARS is money for M1 physiology and BRS is the perfect little refresher for Step 1.

thanks...do you know if VCU posted their 2006 match list on their wesbite?

Vizsla said:
thanks...do you know if VCU posted their 2006 match list on their wesbite?

http://www.admissions.som.vcu.edu/orientation/admissions/matchstats.html

Is that what you were looking for?
Just a stupid question, but why is everyone so worry about the match list? It seems like the same deal with getting into medschool, you do well and work hard then you can pretty much get any school you want. Am I missing something?

DrHopeless said:

Just a stupid question, but why is everyone so worry about the match list? It seems like the same deal with getting into medschool, you do well and work hard then you can pretty much get any school you want. Am I missing something?
And doesn't it also seem forever away? I know time tends to creep up on you, but still....

DrHopeless said:

Well, you should look into the match-list just to make sure a there's not a disproportionate number of students getting into their last choices. Too bad the match-list doesn't show which specialty they matched. But there are several really good hospitals on there. :thumbup:

Its not that bad, but then again its not the best.

VCU did better than my state-school's matchlist (UMD) (way too many peds).
http://medschool.umaryland.edu/osa/pdf/MATCH06.pdf

Pretty satisfiedwith the matchlist: 5 neuros, 4 orthos, 6 pyschs, 17 rads/radiation oncology!!!, 10 gen. surgeries, 3 ophtamology, 6 anesthesiology = 51 pretty competitive residencies. Although a lot of people matched in IM, peds, family medicin .

and almost as good as Upitt in terms of competitive residencies:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3485657#post3485657

But man, those 16 rads is pretty awesome. The sickest matchlist I've seen so far is from Rosalind Franklin University, which goes to show that its all about the board scores: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/stu.../2006/match.xls

I'm convinced if you work hard, the sky's the limit. Too bad, I'll probably be interested in IM and all this competitive residency won't mean a thing to me 4 years later.

No derm or plastics, and only one neurosurg...that's a little disappointing. Still overall pretty good.

But like Havarti said we (the class of 2010) can do better!!! I hope ;)

Hey everyone!

Joinin yall next yr in the c/o 2010... just wanted to say whats up. I also had a quick q, wheres the password thing for the matriculated student forum? I paid my fee and submitted the matriculation form - but I dont see anything yet..any help would be much appreciated....Anyways, hope everyones doing well, I for one am gonna enjoy my time before med school:)

lilmissangel said:
YAY. email from Ms. Mack. I'm so excited!!! Incase anyone was wondering about the password for the student forum, it can be found below the (newly placed) orientation button in your 'application status' page.
password location

hmmm i cant see it....i guess I have to get my transcript and everything in...

20hoos05 said:
hmmm i cant see it....i guess I have to get my transcript and everything in...

Well, I dont have my transcript in yet (havent graduated!) and I have all the Orientation things on my login page. If you were accepted recently or just sent in your deposit I am sure it takes them some time to remember to upload all the buttons onto your page. They should show up soon.

so how does this whole FAFSA thing work?
I didnt fill one out for undergrad, so I dont know.
I filled it out and got an EFC back. Expected family contribution right? What does it mean, that I'll get the rest of the expenses for med school in loans? from whom? the government? i'm slightly financially uneducated, and FAFSA illiterate....any help?

lilmissangel said:
so how does this whole FAFSA thing work?
I didnt fill one out for undergrad, so I dont know.
I filled it out and got an EFC back. Expected family contribution right? What does it mean, that I'll get the rest of the expenses for med school in loans? from whom? the government? i'm slightly financially uneducated, and FAFSA illiterate....any help?

I don't know man, VCU doesn't give much aid out according to the MSAR. But then again, you are in-state probably so you have 20K/year in tuition. Most schools give out loans or want you to find an independent lender. Its really not a big problem since everyone takes out loans for med school. My EFC was $0. Thats because I'm still in school and my parents don't make that much. I'm still waiting on the financial aid package. I have heard nothing. Has anybody anthing?

I don't think we will get this thing for a while, but the gov will give us enough loan to cover our butt I think (hence the EFC of 0). Hopefully they will give us the info soon.

got the orientation button! .....for the fafsa thing, if we dont have to file one im not even gonna bother...i think my EFC is 0 and still gotta take massive loans and i somehow feel that not much aid will be given anyways.

20hoos05 said:
got the orientation button! .....for the fafsa thing, if we dont have to file one im not even gonna bother...i think my EFC is 0 and still gotta take massive loans and i somehow feel that not much aid will be given anyways.

Financial aid package is coming in May.

Mixtli said:
Financial aid package is coming in May.
Damn EFC....so if I hadnt put in my parents info they wouldnt have had to pay for anything???....if only I'd know.
Where did u get this info from? I was under the impression we wouldnt hear anything until the financial aid workshop in june.

20hoos05 said:
If i remember correctly we recieved a letter saying it was MANDATORY that we fill one out.
Plus, I think you're more likely to get better low interest loans from the govt thru FAFSA (but really, I just declared myself FAFSA illiterate and don't know anything, so don't listen to me...)

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know what percentage of the entering class is straight out of college. I know that VCU takes a good number of non-traditional students, but I was just curious about how many of the students are in the 22-23 age group.

Thanks,
-ishqbina

ishqbina said:
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know what percentage of the entering class is straight out of college. I know that VCU takes a good number of non-traditional students, but I was just curious about how many of the students are in the 22-23 age group.

Thanks,
-ishqbina

average age 24, 51 students over age 25

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/demographics.html

lilmissangel said:
Where did u get this info from? I was under the impression we wouldnt hear anything until the financial aid workshop in june.

We'd better hear something before May 15... I still need to decide where I'm going!

lilmissangel said:
Damn EFC....so if I hadnt put in my parents info they wouldnt have had to pay for anything???....if only I'd know.

I got an email from VCU/MCV when I inquired them. I've sent a credit report to the financial aid office and to the admissions office, but they say they still haven't recieved it. Anyone got the credit report thing verified?

Em1 said:
We'd better hear something before May 15... I still need to decide where I'm going!

Alas, the financial aid email didn't bother telling me that. :smuggrin:. The 2006 MSAR said the average financial grant/scholarship at VCU is ~6K with in-state tuition at 20K. Use the averages from MSAR if you don't get any packages in time. E.g. (I used: Tuition + estimated living expenses - average grant = cost of attendance.) I don't know the policies of certain schools, but May 15th is just a guideline for withdrawing schools, but then again its not cool to lose certain acceptances.

Mixtli said:
Alas, the financial aid email didn't bother telling me that. :smuggrin:. The 2006 MSAR said the average financial grant/scholarship at VCU is ~6K with in-state tuition at 20K. Use the averages from MSAR if you don't get any packages in time. E.g. (I used: Tuition + estimated living expenses - average grant = cost of attendance.) I don't know the policies of certain schools, but May 15th is just a guideline for withdrawing schools, but then again its not cool to lose certain acceptances.
Do you happen to know what the average grant is for OOS students?

Hey everyone-
I just got accepted last night so I thought I would move over from the pre-allo thread.

20hoos05 said:

From what I understand,

-You have to fill out the fafsa if you need federal loans to pay for school.

-You have to put your parents info on the fafsa if you want to be considered for scholarships (however this is not required info, you just wont be eligible for scholarships)

-Your parents income/savings will not affect your EFC.

HTH

I got a scholarship from VCU months before filling out a FAFSA (ain't bragging, I'm not that smart). I have no idea what the out-of-state funding is but I know most people would not expect to see 6k in grants/scholarship because some people get full rides to VCU as MD/PHDs. The average indebtness of VCU students is about 120K which also suggests they don't throw a lot of grant aid compared to other state-schools (look up Texas schools, California, New York, Florida). Then again, I maybe pulling stuff out of my ass, and maybe a current VCU student can comment since people may have to make decisions before the May 15th deadline rolls around. But then again, VCU isn't that terribly expensive compared to Einstein, GW, where tuition is expensive, no grant funding, and living expenses are killler. Also, I do KNOW the max non-merit grant at Penn State is around 3K (from the Penn-State allo thread), and if someone could check the average indebtness of Penn State student and compare OOS/In-state tuition, that might give an idea if VCU gives any grants at all. Hope that helps!

Do you guys know anything about when we have to buy a stethoscope and the diagnostic kit? or are these not yet required?

okay- stupid question but does VCU use a pass/fail grading system?

Tangent said:
okay- stupid question but does VCU use a pass/fail grading system?
Honors/Pass/Fail/
or is it honors/hi pass/pass/fail?
I dunno, something like that...

hey everybody.......i'm a first year who only comes to this site b/c it's on my list of "sites to go to when i want to procrastinate"....and that's the truth, considering its 2 am the night before our first neuroscience exam and i really just would rather be replying to people's posts than studying.

anyway, dr. hopeless, you don't need a diagnostic kit till 2nd year...and first year, they let you borrow a stethoscope that you return at the end of the year. so basically, you don't need to bring anything with you except your genius self.

and for tangent, here's the grading system (since i really feel like procrastinating)

92-100: honors
86-91.9: high pass
65 + 1 SEM-85.9: pass
65% +/- 1 SEM: marginal
<65 - 1 SEM: fail

SEM=standard error of the mean...yeah i still dont know what that means, just know that you need a 68ish to pass, because it varies based on the overall performance of the class.....

Hey,

I was wondering if there is anyone from Upstate NY who is sure about attending VCU? Let me know.

Thanks,
ishqbina

I submitted my deposit a week ago and still don't have a password for the forum. How long did it take before you all got one?

hey people. if you check out this link and login, you can access your financial aid info and see if they've updated anything on your account.
mine just told me they needed more paperwork, but i bet some other peoples have more info.
can someone let me know if yours tells you more?